PDA

View Full Version : Kevin's CNR Poll

Kevin Carmony
March 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
***** I HOPE YOU WILL PLEASE READ MY POST HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138603) ABOUT THIS BEFORE VOTING *****

Ha!

When I made my post on CNR (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138603), it gave me an error because the answers to one of my poll questions was too long. I couldn't see any way to go back and add the poll. =(

Also, I noticed someone else just posted a CNR poll! hehe

So, anwer the poll here, but make your comments here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138603), as I think that is where the discussion will take place.

I really want to see the poll I was going to ask, so I've posted it again here. Sorry for the mix up!

Kevin

***** I HOPE YOU WILL PLEASE READ MY POST HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138603) ABOUT THIS BEFORE VOTING *****

Brunellus
March 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
as in mstlevil's poll, legal codecs, legal codecs, legal codecs.

Alpha_toxic
March 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
So, my vote would be the same as on the other thread. I think it's a good idea for those countries where it's illegal to dl the codecs, but most likely I'm not going to use it.

P.S. Aren't "those countries" actually only the US?

EDIT: P.P.S. As far as I can calculate it's early morning in the US, so the people that might be concerned the most are not here ATM

Lovechild
March 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
as in mstlevil's poll, legal codecs, legal codecs, legal codecs.

As in pay fluendo, pay fluendo, pay fluendo :)

towsonu2003
March 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
choice is good, but this is more or less useless: automatix + EasyUbuntu + Repositories

have cnr as a not-promoted feature -> good
have cnr and promote -> bad

And, as a paranoid type, if this is implemented, I would start looking for another distro:
once the distro features partly-pay-per-service, there is always the possibility that everything will get pay-per-service. I don't like that possibility.

PS. the only country obsessed with legality of proprietary codecs is US. no one else cares.

DigitalDuality
March 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
As it stands right now, i use my codecs illegally. I break the law. I'm not too cool with that. I like keeping my ethics in line. But unless i have them, my linux experience is crippled. The entire reason i moved to linux was b/c of ethics. I would love the chance to legally download codecs.

towsonu2003
March 2nd, 2006, 05:28 PM
As it stands right now, i use my codecs illegally. I break the law. I'm not too cool with that. I like keeping my ethics in line. But unless i have them, my linux experience is crippled. The entire reason i moved to linux was b/c of ethics. I would love the chance to legally download codecs.
the problem: you're in US ;) codecs are not illegal abroad. I didnot install the codecs as I'm currently in the US. I'll install them when my plane boards to the airport abroad and uninstall if I come back...

I think a distro located and developed abroad will not have any problems with distributing codecs.

A good way to legally get codecs is to buy a distro that offers them out-of-the-box. opensuse has that option (to buy opensuse loaded with proprietary software pre-installed), and it also supports OSS tru distributing OSS-only distro as well.

John.Michael.Kane
March 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
No thanks!! i would rather read a linux book, and learn the comands needed to install the programs..

Kernel Sanders
March 2nd, 2006, 05:32 PM
A fairly emphatic option 1.

Seriously, Linspire make Microsoft look like angelic little choir boys.....

varunus
March 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I would just use CNR to get legal proprietary codecs. Is there a way to get these without paying for the entire year of CNR? Maybe just a "multimedia pack" for ubuntu? Enable DVD Playback, MP3, Windows Media, Divx, Quicktime, Real codecs, and anything else I've forgotten? Or something?

I'd just use it for proprietary codecs. gnome-app-install is the Ubuntu equivalent of a one-click apt installation service, though its fairly fledgling at the moment.

But what about pay-for Ubuntu debs that enable totem (or whatever movie player is on the system) to use proprietary codecs legally? I'd pay for that.

frodon
March 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
The face of evil always look nice.

John.Michael.Kane
March 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
@varunus the codecs are not legal for download in the usa look at automatix it even says if you live in the us do not down load them. so you would paying for something that is still illegal to have in the us. now if the use of the cnr program allows you the user to have access to these codecs, and not have it be illegal that would be something you would have to ask the maker of the program to find out...

mike998
March 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
I haven't used Linspire myself. I think my father has...
Personally, I prefer to use apt to install programs but if CNR has the ability to draw in more users who aren't familar with installation of programs under Linux then so much the better. (Yeah, I know gnome-app-install or synaptic are there, but this is worlds different from what I can see.)
If apt goes away (how's that going to happen? is our /etc/apt/sources.list file going to be read only?) then I would probably jump ship.
I keep on posting this, but it all really boils down to giving us as users choice as to what we want to do. More choice will more than likely equal more users.

Maybe a choice on the installer screen asking "Do you want to use CNR to install your software?" and that simply adds the CNR functionality to Ubuntu?

varunus
March 2nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
@varunus the codecs are not legal for download in the usa look at automatix it even says if you live in the us do not down load them. so you would paying for something that is still illegal to have in the us. now if the use of the cnr program allows you the user to have access to these codecs, and not have it be illegal that would be something you would have to ask the maker of the program to find out...

Actually, Linspire licenses the codecs for use with CNR, so Linspire users who subscribe get access to all of the codecs for free. So we'd be paying for the license to have the codecs all legally.

So if we got the codecs through CNR, it'd be legal.

bonzodog
March 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
heh..the codecs thing always irks us europeans. Still, we have NO responsibility to the people that claim to own them, and thus the people in the US can whinge whine and wring their hands all they want. Ubuntu is a UK/South african distro, and the US would be wise to remember that, so the codecs will always be there for us in the universe repos.

John.Michael.Kane
March 2nd, 2006, 06:36 PM
varunus well i stand corrected. now if you feel paying for the cnr service is a viable option for you thats fine. as long as their service is not manditory for use of ubuntu all will be fine for this user..

Stormy Eyes
March 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
As it stands right now, i use my codecs illegally. I break the law. I'm not too cool with that.

I too use my codecs illegally. I don't mind, as I think my right to use the media I've purchased as I deem fit outweighs the content industries' rights to try to determine how I use the media I've purchased. However, I would rather be able to use legal codecs to avoid the possibility of legal trouble.

Malphas
March 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
As everyone has already commented, it seems like a good way to solve the proprietary codecs issue. I doubt I'd ever use CNR myself though.

PatrickMay16
March 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't use CNR, since apt does everything perfectly. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), if you make the right modifications to your sources.list file, you can download all codecs, legal or illegal.
Also, Synaptic makes apt easy to use, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Not that I think CNR is bad or anything, I just think apt is already more than enough for software management.

bored2k
March 2nd, 2006, 07:05 PM
I like the idea.

Lovechild
March 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
I see CNR as a decent warehouse deployment center, if we could adopt it across various distributions it would be ideal for vendors to deploy software and keep up with API changes for paying customers.

Now I don't need nor want such a service, I'm a free software zealot - however if others want it I will not stand in the way. I'm quite sure Kevin isn't "evil", in fact he seems like a nice guy.

The important question might be, is CNR free software, I mean do I get the code for the frontend? If this isn't the case, we are still asking the user to manually add software to ease the task of installing software. Also how do we avoid **** ups with the native updater which works rather well as it is.

arnieboy
March 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
a gnome-based CNR would be the perfect addition to Ubuntu and I whole-heartedly support the idea. Apps like Automatix are just stop-gap measures to get around the absence of softwares like CNR.

towsonu2003
March 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
a gnome-based CNR would be the perfect addition to Ubuntu and I whole-heartedly support the idea. Apps like Automatix are just stop-gap measures to get around the absence of softwares like CNR.
you gotta post this to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=785908#post785908 as well...

what about automatix being free and CNR being not-free?

Bragador
March 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
you gotta post this to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=785908#post785908 as well...

what about automatix being free and CNR being not-free?

It's more about the necessity of OPEN software in my point of view, not the price.

BWF89
March 2nd, 2006, 09:06 PM
I probably wouldn't use it but if someone like my parents or older family members were going to switch to Linux or Ubuntu Linux than I'd reccomend that they get it.

poofyhairguy
March 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Who voted Linspire is evil? Its really not that bad people.

darkmatter
March 2nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
I personally love the idea... I may be an apt and CLI guy... but I was actually thinking how good it would be for a gnome based distro to utilize a service like CNR... so this definitely gets my vote.

TrailerTrash
March 2nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
So Kevin,.....Is the next Linspire gona be based off of Ubuntu? Kinda sounds like it. :rolleyes:

Brunellus
March 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
Who voted Linspire is evil? Its really not that bad people.
I'm so sick of "evil" as a word in geekspeak.

darkmatter
March 2nd, 2006, 11:08 PM

Aye...

And pay-for is not 'evil' and does not go against the F/OSS ideal...

I mean ... to all those who insist on bashing Kevin/Linspire... please take a good long look at 1) the GPL 2) what Linspire actually contributes back to the communiy (and that is a fair amount)...

And... OMG... there is non-free software in the Ubuntu repo's!!! Ubuntu is evil!!!:rolleyes: ;)

Bragador
March 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
Aye...

And pay-for is not 'evil' and does not go against the F/OSS ideal...

I mean ... to all those who insist on bashing Kevin/Linspire... please take a good long look at 1) the GPL 2) what Linspire actually contributes back to the communiy (and that is a fair amount)...

And... OMG... there is non-free software in the Ubuntu repo's!!! Ubuntu is evil!!!:rolleyes: ;)

Nobody is against paying. We are against paying for proprietary software.

Open the damn code and charge for having an access to the network instead. How hard is it to enable people to log into the network ?

xequence
March 2nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
So Kevin,.....Is the next Linspire gona be based off of Ubuntu? Kinda sounds like it. :rolleyes:

I didnt get that impression at all.

Open the damn code and charge for having an access to the network instead. How hard is it to enable people to log into the network ?

Why open the code though? I dont think linspire wants people taking their CNR code.

And how easy would it be then for people to use the CNR servers without paying.

Bragador
March 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Why open the code though? I dont think linspire wants people taking their CNR code.

1) Improve the program
2) Enable others to make other programs that are better
3) Enable CNR to look at the ideas rom other project and improve their own software
4) Make sure no bugs exist

And how easy would it be then for people to use the CNR servers without paying.

I don't know if I follow. The weak point is currently the software. If linux was more popular, hackers would have already cracked the damn thing anyway so you would be able to access the network for free.

What I suggest is to make it like a ... well see do you know World of Warcraft ? You have the software but you pay to get ACCESS to the network. Same thing I propose in here. People pay for an account for the CNR network and then access it with whatever program they want. If you want to log in, you have to pay.

In this way, instead of having to keep your software secret, you work on the security of your network.

darkmatter
March 3rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
I think, perhaps, we should let the PTB decide, and just make suggestions on how to sweeten the experience for all.... I'll start ;)

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=139068

lovebyte
March 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
This CNR thing could be a nice and simple way to get access to proprietary software, like games. For Ubuntu supported FOSS, I don't really see the point.

Malphas
March 3rd, 2006, 03:08 PM
Ha ha! That totally goes against what FOSS is about. I'm almost shocked that someone would say that on a Linux forum. Nevertheless I don't think anyone really has any right to demand developers should release their code, as some open-source puritans like to do.

My take on this is that if we're being realistic they'll always be a place for proprietary, commercial software and for Linux to be the best that it can be there should be a simple method of aquiring this software, in the same way we have apt-get and Synaptic for free software. To be honest I've never really paid much attention to CNR until now, and I think a few things could probably be ironed out, ideally this would include ditching the subscription fee and opening up the source.

codejunkie
March 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
i think it's a good idea, as long as it can work along side apt-get/synaptic, and not take over and make it just like linspire.

Bragador
March 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
My take on this is that if we're being realistic they'll always be a place for proprietary, commercial software and for Linux to be the best that it can be there should be a simple method of aquiring this software, in the same way we have apt-get and Synaptic for free software. To be honest I've never really paid much attention to CNR until now, and I think a few things could probably be ironed out, ideally this would include ditching the subscription fee and opening up the source.

I tend to disagree. You would be right when something big and new has been built from scratch but if you take anything else (3d engines, games, office suits, etc) after the first breakthrough is done (which could also been done as an open software project) everybody can just try to make the best version out of it. Sure they could sell each of their product, it's like a forced donation after all and I could accept that but still it shows that there is a place for an all open software world.

GreyFox503
March 3rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Wow, I didn't know there were going to be that many people that voted for the "evil" option. 10%!

Linspire is fine by me. I would like having the CNR service available as a choice, especially for newer users / non-techies. It would help me out setting up friends/family with Ubuntu computers. If they thought it was a good idea, that would convince them of Ubuntu's worth.

$20/year?? That's nothing. I know we're still used to getting our software for free, but c'mon. Many Windows users I know pay a yearly fee for anti-virus subscriptions. Just the anti-virus! Which they already had to pay ~$40 for the software!

I haven't used Linspire or CNR, so I don't know exactly how it works. One thing I think is important is this: a user should be able to browse the CNR database and look around for free. That would help convince people to buy the service. I wouldn't pay the money if I couldn't see what I was getting.

Maybe that point is moot, I don't know.

Above all else, remember: the optional integration is extremely important. CNR is great, but please don't mess with apt-get or synaptic.

That is all.

Bragador
March 3rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Many Windows users I know pay a yearly fee for anti-virus subscriptions. Just the anti-virus! Which they already had to pay ~$40 for the software!

I KNOW !!!!!

I still can't believe that !

I'm always amazed at people buying or even downloading a hacked version for their computer :confused:

Just for windows, Avast is great (and won the latest prize for safety by the way) and it's freakin FREE ! And it's not the only one !

I still can't believe windows users are finding a way to pay for these services...

scrondle
March 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
I for one welcome our new Linspire overlords!

Seriously though, with this I could get my family to start using Linux. Please do this. This is the sort of thing that is needed for broader adoption. Also, can we call it something else? CNR stands for Click 'N Run. That is SO CHEESY.

Kjel

stoffe
March 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Posted a longer reply at the other thread, but the gist is: yes, please. :)

Lunixfanboy
March 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
I for one welcome our new Linspire overlords!

Seriously though, with this I could get my family to start using Linux. Please do this. This is the sort of thing that is needed for broader adoption. Also, can we call it something else? CNR stands for Click 'N Run. That is SO CHEESY.

KjelI thought CNR was short for Collect New Revenue.

towsonu2003
March 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Seriously though, with this I could get my family to start using Linux.
I'm sure you'll need to pay $20 per computer to our new overlords...

supertechguy
March 3rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
Legal access to
dozens of proprietary applications, drivers and codecs that you may want to have access to. MP3, DVD, Real Audio, Windows Media, Quick Time, Java, Flash, nVidia, ATI, Bitstream fonts, and so on

Sign me up! That small cost is worth it.

Zodiac
March 3rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Qft.

makhand
March 3rd, 2006, 09:24 PM

same here. legal codecs at decent prices is all i ask for

GreyFox503
March 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I still can't believe windows users are finding a way to pay for these services...

Wow, you just reminded me of something that really ties in with the open 'free software' thing.

Recently, my Dad bought a new computer and asked me which anti-virus he should use. I said that AVG and Avast were good, and especially free of charge!

To him, that is not a benefit, it is a detriment to their credibility. He would rather pay Symantec $30/year for anti-virus, because he doesn't trust someone who would give away software for free...

I just looked it up, and it is $30/year, more than the CNR service in question.

nickle
March 4th, 2006, 12:32 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. Silly, silly silly....

CNR is worth a try, I think the time is ripe. If it could be combined with a preinstalled distro, I think Linux would begin to take off ....

Bragador
March 4th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Wow, you just reminded me of something that really ties in with the open 'free software' thing.

Recently, my Dad bought a new computer and asked me which anti-virus he should use. I said that AVG and Avast were good, and especially free of charge!

To him, that is not a benefit, it is a detriment to their credibility. He would rather pay Symantec $30/year for anti-virus, because he doesn't trust someone who would give away software for free...

Please, DO hit your father around with a big trout for me.

Kernel Sanders
March 4th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Please, DO hit your father around with a big trout for me.

I approve this message.....

xequence
March 4th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Norton is the worst piece of crap software ever.

My parents wanted it. So, I got it for them. When I told them how bad it was they really didnt seem to care.

cjm5229
March 4th, 2006, 02:55 AM
It seems like the one's dissing CNR have no idea what it even is. Do some research, find out the true facts, then make an educated decision. Then you won't sound like a bunch of whiney cry baby's. With CNR you will have a way to install alot of programs that are just not available otherwise. Includeing legal codecs. Nobody has said you will be forced to use it. It is your choice, isn't that what freedom is about? There is a fifteen day free trial and then you decide whether you want to subscribe or not. Also any programs you download during the free trial are yours whether you subscribe or not. I think it would be a great addition to an already fantastik OS. It isn't going to replace apt-get so you can either subscribe or not, just because you have prejudices does not give you the right to limit others choices.

GreyFox503
March 4th, 2006, 03:57 AM
I know, Norton, of all products... I've had bad experiences with that in the past...

I've talked with my Dad about F/OSS before, but he isn't easy to convince. Like I'd imagine many adults his age are, he doesn't believe in a free lunch. He's convinced there's some catch, or that it's just not possible.

Of course, coming from a Windows world, based on his current idea of "free" software, he probably imagines linux, an entirely free operating system, as coming filled-to-the-brim with spyware, adware, and other crap. How ironic.

With CNR.... There is a fifteen day free trial and then you decide whether you want to subscribe or not.
Nice! This is exactly what they need.

mdsmedia
March 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM
It seems like the one's dissing CNR have no idea what it even is. Do some research, find out the true facts, then make an educated decision. Then you won't sound like a bunch of whiney cry baby's. With CNR you will have a way to install alot of programs that are just not available otherwise. Includeing legal codecs. Nobody has said you will be forced to use it. It is your choice, isn't that what freedom is about? There is a fifteen day free trial and then you decide whether you want to subscribe or not. Also any programs you download during the free trial are yours whether you subscribe or not. I think it would be a great addition to an already fantastik OS. It isn't going to replace apt-get so you can either subscribe or not, just because you have prejudices does not give you the right to limit others choices. I had to read the whole thread before I replied. I'm still in the middle of the other one, but managed to get thru this one.

I feel sorry that people like cjm5229 think that others are crybabies because they want to uphold the values of FOSS. I really do.

I'm a Linux beginner. I'm not good at the command line at all....I can copy and paste, and gradually I'm getting to know some commands. This is going to take a long time to learn.

To me CNR is the easy way out. The more people you attract using CNR the more who will come to expect its simplicity. I'm not anti-CNR. I started reading the threads thinking it would be ok.

The thing that turns me against it is not that it costs money. I don't care about $20 (what's that in Australian?) but the whole thing that keeps me anchored to Ubuntu is "Free". Not Free Beer....FREE as in freedom. I'm not even comfortable with Synaptic or apt yet. But I'm learning. Give me CNR and I'll stop learning.

GreyFox503
March 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Google sez:

US$ 20 = 26.795284 Australian dollars

awakatanka
March 4th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I had to read the whole thread before I replied. I'm still in the middle of the other one, but managed to get thru this one.

I feel sorry that people like cjm5229 think that others are crybabies because they want to uphold the values of FOSS. I really do.

I'm a Linux beginner. I'm not good at the command line at all....I can copy and paste, and gradually I'm getting to know some commands. This is going to take a long time to learn.

To me CNR is the easy way out. The more people you attract using CNR the more who will come to expect its simplicity. I'm not anti-CNR. I started reading the threads thinking it would be ok.

The thing that turns me against it is not that it costs money. I don't care about $20 (what's that in Australian?) but the whole thing that keeps me anchored to Ubuntu is "Free". Not Free Beer....FREE as in freedom. I'm not even comfortable with Synaptic or apt yet. But I'm learning. Give me CNR and I'll stop learning.
Not everyone want to learn they just want a working OS with simple install.

You still have the option to learn if its in, only youre lazyness is holding it back ;).

Don't think its a valid arguement to stop CNR to be implented.

I wouldn't use it i think, but those people that i try to get to use (k)ubuntu will find this the solution they searching for. It gives screenshots how programs look like and its easy to install for a small amount of money. Synaptic,apt-get etc doesn't have screenshots and those people have a hardtime what they install.

Its just more user friendly for them for a small price.

As long as it is a choose i'm for it.

BoyOfDestiny
March 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I know, Norton, of all products... I've had bad experiences with that in the past...

I've talked with my Dad about F/OSS before, but he isn't easy to convince. Like I'd imagine many adults his age are, he doesn't believe in a free lunch. He's convinced there's some catch, or that it's just not possible.

Of course, coming from a Windows world, based on his current idea of "free" software, he probably imagines linux, an entirely free operating system, as coming filled-to-the-brim with spyware, adware, and other crap. How ironic.

Nice! This is exactly what they need.

Actually, my advice is if possible demo what you have, or better point out who profits from open source. IBM, should be a recognizable name. Cable providers like Cox use mysql. OSX (freebsd 4.4 I think) and windows (just tcp stack I believe) have BSD code in them. Your router may have it. Your government might.

You've got time tested code, phd's, random folk, payed workers, etc etc across the globe working on it and with it. It's damn impressive in my book.

EDIT: Don't want to hijack the thread, but there are other ways to demonstrate the potential of Linux. For Ubuntu, I'd recommend showing off "Add/Remove" Applications for easy installs.

eMuNiX
March 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
heh..the codecs thing always irks us europeans. Still, we have NO responsibility to the people that claim to own them, and thus the people in the US can whinge whine and wring their hands all they want. Ubuntu is a UK/South african distro, and the US would be wise to remember that, so the codecs will always be there for us in the universe repos.
http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=122 Seems that copyright is catching up in places such Germany, presumably Ubuntu won't be able to offer these codecs to Germany either?

zorba64
March 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
no ******* way!!!

xmastree
March 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
From the other thread:

1) just use apt, like they do now. 2) pay $20 to use the CNR service,
That's a no-brainer if ever there was one...

awakatanka
March 4th, 2006, 05:23 PM
no ******* way!!!
Very constructive post i can see why you against it......NOT. Try to put some constructive element in it and explain why not. \\:D/

dcraven
March 4th, 2006, 10:35 PM
$20/year?? That's nothing. I know we're still used to getting our software for free, but c'mon. Many Windows users I know pay a yearly fee for anti-virus subscriptions. Just the anti-virus! Which they already had to pay ~$40 for the software!
Just because something sucks less doesn't make it good.

warner
March 5th, 2006, 10:55 AM
There is a huge struggle toward "harmonization" of "IP" laws, and if your country is safe for the moment doesn't mean it will stay that way.

http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/a2k/2006-March/001022.html

GreyFox503
March 5th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Just because something sucks less doesn't make it good.

True.

Benanov
March 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I personally value my freedom.

Maybe others would like CNR, so I voted for the middle option. Everyone is free to sign their rights away. Ubuntu seems to best be about choice.

Does CNR have the license terms on each program up-front for all to read?

(Linspire's EULA, which I skimmed, confused me. Had I a desire to run Linspire, I'd read it more in detail. I've read W32-XP's from start to finish--it caused me to switch.)

Some people want to see X content, play Y media. They should be allowed to sign Z rights away to do so. Just remember that I should not be forced to.

--

I'd rather see GNUbuntu or whatever the FSF and Mark agree on calling it...the version of Ubuntu with no non-Free software. And in a fit of true irony, I wouldn't mind seeing them side by side. There is a place for them both in this world (just not on my machines!)

As long as I can stay clean I will stick with Ubuntu.

I would rather suffer without rather than have to struggle against buggy binary-only drivers and licenses that limit what I can do with my computers.

freedomforme
March 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
stay gold ponyboy (err ubuntu) stay gold!

purdy hate machine
March 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
An official Ubuntu multimedia pack to acquire legal codec’s is an excellent idea.
I have no interest In CNR and wouldn’t recommend to anyone I know.
Apt/Synaptic is not hard to learn and I don’t think it’s helpful to Linux in general to make out that the command line is some big scary monster and that we are all falling over each other to find an alternative to it.
As I said in another thread: if Linspire want to offer this product to the masses then make it available to all Distro’s and host it on their website as Opera do. Those who want in can download it and those who don’t can steer well clear.

uberlaff
March 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I know this has already been talked about in this thread but I would definitely consider using CNR if I could easily get commercial software from it. Apt-get does a great job with free stuff and I would continue using it for that. But to have a distribution model for commercial software could be a good thing.This might intice some big software companies to port there software to linux.

I know I know... blast me for supporting corporate software. But I've made the switch to Ubuntu and have all the free software I need. The only thing that I keep windows around for once in a while is doing Macromedia Flash animations and stuff and games. Maybe an easy paid software distribution model would be all some of these companies need to port some of their software to linux once they see that there is a way to make money off of it.

If there is a free opensource choice. I'm all about it. Thats why I made the switch in the first place. But some applications haven't made the jump and maybe this is why... my 2 cents...

irish rebel
March 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Keven like I said in previous posts regarding this very subject , I think having a cnr service for ubuntu is a great idea I know that someone is coming out with or already has a klickit app but click and run I believe would offer the latest version of lphoto and lsongs these are 2 of the best linux apps out there and maybe that is where the future of companies like linpire may be . In developing software for linux such as lphoto and lsongs why not go all the way and have a lmovie type of app and bundle it together in a suite much like ilife has sell it for a fee on cnr or include it in the subscription. People like myself who use linux exclusevly would purchase things like this.

Josef K.
March 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
of course linspire is not evil, but for sure its marketing politics is so M$ like... :rolleyes:

1) Improve the program
2) Enable others to make other programs that are better
3) Enable CNR to look at the ideas rom other project and improve their own software
4) Make sure no bugs exist

you forgot
5) make ubuntu user (that are a lot) familiar to CNR so they would consider to switch to linspire :twisted:

It seems like the one's dissing CNR have no idea what it even is. Do some research, find out the true facts, then make an educated decision. Then you won't sound like a bunch of whiney cry baby's. With CNR you will have a way to install alot of programs that are just not available otherwise. Includeing legal codecs.

how about this cry baby switch to linspire? :evil:

Nobody has said you will be forced to use it. It is your choice, isn't that what freedom is about?

is not a matter of choice, but of resources invested
if there's a commercial easy answer why bother with a free hard one?
that's why we don't have a fully functional GPL flash player :rolleyes:

There is a fifteen day free trial and then you decide whether you want to subscribe or not. Also any programs you download during the free trial are yours whether you subscribe or not

a commercial software, even a shareware, is supposed to be used (and payed), not steal the trial period...

freedomforme
March 6th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I like this quote...

CNR is free for the first 15 days, so you'd be able to try it before you buy it. In fact, during those first 15 days, you can even go and install every application in the Warehouse if you want. We don't worry about that. Why? Because 1) while you're doing all that installing, you'll become addicted to CNR, and 2) all those applications will need updating, and you may decide one-click is a slick way to keep everything updated.

Except that on Linspire they killed the 15 day free trial. It hasnt been that way for quite a while... So I would have to ask WHAT 15 day free trial?

KiwiNZ
March 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I think this whole subject of CNR has been well and truely thrashed to death. Until something comes out of Ubuntu HQ I thinks moutains forming from random mole hills.

Can we put it to rest until then and save some bandwidth

Bragador
March 6th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I think this whole subject of CNR has been well and truely thrashed to death. Until something comes out of Ubuntu HQ I thinks moutains forming from random mole hills.

Can we put it to rest until then and save some bandwidth

Yeah especially for the bandwith I agree. Plus it was really one big conversation over more than one thread.

Let it die for now.