PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing applications

sukruthhv
January 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM
hai guys:-):Di need to install applications on ubuntu 9.04 bcoz i wanna install unzip.exe but im not able 2 do tat:(pls..................sm bdy help me:popcorn:if any answers plsssssssssssssss forward it 2 sukruthh1@gmail.com........thnk u......

Grenage
January 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
No sane person will e-mail you, lazy punk ;)

.exe is a Windows executable. You can try it with wine, bit you're better off with a native Linux app.

drpjkurian
January 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
hai guys:-):Di need to install applications on ubuntu 9.04 bcoz i wanna install unzip.exe but im not able 2 do tat:(pls..................sm bdy help me:popcorn:if any answers plsssssssssssssss forward it 2 sukruthh1@gmail.com........thnk u......

I think grenage has given you a fitting answer.
Well to unzip any file you can use the default archive manager.

wojox
January 20th, 2010, 05:41 PM

.exe is a Windows executable. You can try it with wine, bit you're better off with a native Linux app.

Well said ;)

oldos2er
January 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM
unzip is installed in Ubuntu by default.

Sylslay
January 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM
7zip is better.

Go to Softwere Centere or Add/remove ( in older ubuntu) and search for 7 zip package.

jsmnuk
February 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM

Uh, we were all in his shoes at one time or another. I think that this person is trying to unzip package files so that s/he can install them. I have a similar problem, i.e., I download package files to Archive Manager and then they sit there and I can't install them. I'm getting better with the Terminal but I have a ways to go yet.

How can we expect people to join the Ubuntu world if they get greeted with insults?

QIII
February 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
People should not be greeted with insults.

A better answer would have been:

Please use complete, proper English if it is your native language (we understand that there are many here who have difficulty with English because they come from other cultures.) Text message abbreviations and "leet" will often lead those with a good answer to ignore your posts and move on to others.

Using the forum for discussion and answers is generally preferable to private email and private messages because the whole community benefits from the availability of answers found here.

An .exe file is a Windows executable and will not likely work in Linux. Ubuntu provides a default zip/unzip utility and that should be used.

oupamster
February 1st, 2010, 09:59 PM
well said QIII, with that kind of attitude some of us feel home again.

oldos2er
February 1st, 2010, 11:16 PM
I download package files to Archive Manager and then they sit there and I can't install them.

If you downloaded *.deb files, double-click them to install. If you're new to Ubuntu (and Linux), the easiest way to install programs is via Synaptic Package Manager or Ubuntu Software Center.