PDA

View Full Version : Are Dell really working with Ubuntu?

haydoni
January 20th, 2010, 04:22 PM
If one attempts to buy an Ubuntu Laptop at Dell's website (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs) they are sent to a list of Windows laptops!! If you click on the compare Windows and Ubuntu (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/windows_or_ubuntu?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs), as well as the "subtly" skewed comparison, the top-right of the page seems to make Dell's position clear:
"Windows®. Life without WallsTM. Dell recommends Windows 7."

Swagman
January 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I think it's a fair enough page.

They state VERY clearly that Ubuntu is NOT windows so that if anyone has stumbled onto that page via only looking at prices etc then it is obvious.

If they then purchase the machine then they (DELL) can't really be held accountable for the purchasers inability to run windows programs.

Although they would probably sell that user a Windows disk !!

Simian Man
January 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Try explaining to someone who mistakenly bought a Linux computer why they can't use their printer or run itunes. I'm surprised they sell computers with Linux at all!

Swagman
January 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Try explaining to someone who mistakenly bought a Linux computer why they can't use their printer or run itunes. I'm surprised they sell computers with Linux at all!

The printer shouldn't be an issue (unless it's a Lexmark)

iTunes however.................

Mr. Picklesworth
January 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Re: Are Dell really working with Ubuntu?

Absolutely! Take a look at dkms (http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms), which they work on :)

I'm no fan of their web design, but Dell is VERY involved with Ubuntu. They just aren't trying to sell it as a Windows competitor that everyone should know about, because that would be a pointless world of hurt for them, their users, and us.

Simian Man
January 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM
The printer shouldn't be an issue (unless it's a Lexmark)

There are others that, while they can be made to work with Linux, would be difficult for a beginner to manage, most Cannons for example. But that's not really the point.

brookie
January 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
So I was cruising the Dell site setting up an Ubuntu Inspiron 15n I think. The thing is that Dell does not offer the top of the line hardware that you can get configuring a Windows system. There in lies the problem, because I could probably get the higher end machine, and load Ubuntu on it but I would also be paying for Windows. Hmmm??? I still like Dell. I am running Ubuntu on two old Dell laptops and they work great. Gotta run. Cheers.

Swagman
January 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
There are others that, while they can be made to work with Linux, would be difficult for a beginner to manage, most Cannons for example. But that's not really the point.

My Canon IP5300 and my daughters Canon MP220 and t'other daughters MP480 work great.

The MP22o had a scanning issue when my daughter first bought it, but that was waaaaay back in Hardy Heron. She googled and found a cure.

From Intrepid it Worked from out of the Box

So you can scratch Canon from that list.

RiceMonster
January 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM
My Canon IP5300 and my daughters Canon MP220 and t'other daughters MP480 work great.

The MP22o had a scanning issue when my daughter first bought it, but that was waaaaay back in Hardy Heron. She googled and found a cure.

Right, because your specific two models work means you can scratch them all off the list. The cannon printer I had would only work properly if you printed in black and white (I forget the model).

weichimaster
January 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM
OP is from the UK. The website is eccentric, and hard to find the Ubuntu PCs:

http://search.dell.co.uk/1/3/dell-ubuntu

Psumi
January 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM

My Canon wouldn't work on 64-bit arch with scanning functions unless you forced the arch on the deb package from canon-europe. Something you need to search hard for on google, as not many people had the issue due to running 32-bit.

Now I have an HP, and it works flawlessly.

Simian Man
January 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM

My Cannon printer needed drivers which were only available from the Australian web site for some reason and only available in RPM format (lucky I use Fedora). How will a typical end user have been able to figure that out?

Now I have an HP, and it works flawlessly.
Yeah HP are the best for Linux support.

longtom
January 22nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
While Canon Printers are not easy to get working as good as they can in Linux (I am talking colours as they should be and are in windows), there are some Linux drivers available - even in deb format.

Canon Asia was always a source I found particularly rewarding and helped me to get my ip4500 going.
There are, however, not Linux drivers for all models, so some research before a purchase should be done.

I personally found it worth my while, considering there superior printing quality and given the fact that they are a lot cheaper to run than an HP.

haydoni
February 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
The thing is that Dell does not offer the top of the line hardware that you can get configuring a Windows system.

This is crazy.

samh785
February 3rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
They most certainly are working with ubuntu. I bought a Dell laptop with ubuntu on it for my mom to use (It's working great even though she doesn't really understand the whole open source aspect of it. It works for her and she can play farmville :P)

Swagman
February 3rd, 2010, 02:54 AM
Kingdoms of Camelot (http://apps.facebook.com/kingdomsofcamelot) FTW