PDA

View Full Version : When do you upgrade to the next Ubuntu release?

Rytron
January 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
When do you upgrade to the next Ubuntu release? I emphasise that this pertains to your main PC, because some people use alpha and beta releases for extra/spare computers.

iponeverything
January 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM
You forgot to add the option:

When I have a compeling reason.

skymera
January 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I upgrade when it's Beta. That's not an option on the poll.

I'm running Lucid Alpha2 in a VM

chuina
January 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Agree with iponeverything.

Another option which actually fit mine is:
I only upgrade when face major difficulties.
Cause, new upgrade/release comes with new bug.

presence1960
January 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I start using it at Alpha2. But I still keep the current version also just in case. Once the alpha reaches final release then I format the previous release's partition.

I also run Sabayon which while completely different than Ubuntu always seems to perform better than Ubuntu. But Lucid seems to be gaining some ground based on what I have seen thus far.

K. Hendrik
January 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I upgrade when the release is out and I've got some time (most times i reserve the release date for upgrading)

balaknair
January 20th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I chose the first option in the poll(immediately on release), but usually it's late alphas of Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed on seperate partitions alongside the current version, and if no showstopper bugs are around in RC, I just wipe everything but /home and install the Ubuntu beta as my main OS. This helps avoid putting strain on the servers at release time as well as letting me test for bugs in real-world/regular use.

phillw
January 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Been running 10.04 since the rc candidate. I do have 9.10 to fall back on, but only had one show-stopper that was resolved within 24 hours. Lynx is lean, keen and goes like shale of a shovel :-)

Well worth the fun if you have a spare 10GB of hard-drive kicking around and enjoy having a look where ubuntu is headed and, of course, testing that 10.04 runs okay on your system - It is not, however, production ready - so keep your backups and fall back system !!

My 9.10 is set to daily-app for firefox and 3.5.8rc has killed it - So, I'm real glad I have 10.04 as I'm now going to browse for the instructions to return 9.10 back to 3.5.7 - Hey ho, the joys of testing :D

Regards,

Phill.

wojox
January 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
As soon as they load it on the servers, on the release date. ;)

AJB2K3
January 20th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Only when I have a compelling reason
for the same reasons as chuina

Sylslay
January 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I agree with that: Cause, new upgrade/release comes with new bug.

So now on I will upgrade only after month of LTS realise,
I lern enaugh for daily use,

Becosuse my laptop is low spec. verson 8.04 and 9.04 worked better ( thx to intel integreted graphic card LOL). And only fiew distro are boot up after installed.
It was good to see how open source softwere is changeing.
Lernt that, now back to other hobbys.

THX

ajcham
February 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
It's usually a few days to a week later, after I've read and prepared myself for any quirks that people are reporting, although I threw caution to the wind last October and upgraded to Karmic on release day.

theozzlives
February 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM
Some people like the Alphas to see how the new release is taking shape (I was one of them). Some do every release to stay on the cutting edge. Some only LTS, Long Term Support (When Ubuntu releases 10.04, I'll be one of those). Some like a particular release and wait til EOL, End Of Life. So you see there's no real rule.

EDIT: I miss Jaunty, wish it was an LTS.

mne9476
February 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
When I read that relatively few individuals experience system crashes. I mistakenly assumed 9.10 would crash less than 9.04. I regret upgrading because the system is crashing just as much and I lost some tools that I came to rely on.

When will Ubuntu produce a version that won't crash for no apparent reason? Rhetorical question, of course. I won't hold my breath...

tachuela
February 1st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Waiting for the next LTS

XubuRoxMySox
February 1st, 2010, 11:36 PM
My "main" OS will pro'lly only be LTS releases from now on.

But I got brave this time and decided to test the next LTS (of Xubuntu) while it's still in Alpha 2. Lucid rawks! Not only is it noticeably faster than Karmic, but seems a lot more stable so far.

-Robin

FuturePilot
February 1st, 2010, 11:42 PM
Usually on the day it's released. However I'm completely skipping Karmic because it's so bad on my computer.

Tibuda
February 2nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
When I used Ubuntu, I have updated Ubuntu it right when the alpha.

speedwell68
February 2nd, 2010, 12:47 AM
I go for it when the realese candidate is annouced. I will do it on my non-mission critical laptop first and then my main computer once I am satisfied all is well. Never had a problem yet.

cariboo
February 2nd, 2010, 01:22 AM
What about those of us the upgrade when the toolchain is uploaded?

scouser73
February 2nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
I upgrade the day it's released publicly.

ticopelp
February 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
I always get excited by a new release, but I force myself to wait, because I don't want to deal with the slow server times. While I'm waiting I amuse myself by going to the forums and reading how this latest release is the worst release ever and has ruined Ubuntu forever.

TheNessus
February 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
When do you upgrade to the next Ubuntu release? I emphasise that this pertains to your main PC, because some people use alpha and beta releases for extra/spare computers.
I upgraded to Karmic Alpha 2 (clean install) when it was available... Still using it, works perfectly. So add that kind of option: upgrade when alpha / beta comes out. (though I won't upgrade, I'm very happy with how it is now)

Ozor Mox
February 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
I normally upgrade at the earliest opportunity after a new release which, as I always back up my data before doing an upgrade, is anywhere between a few days and a few weeks. My main computer is running 9.10 and it was originally 8.10, so I'm planning to do a nice fresh install of 10.04 when it's out.