PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install initramfs-tools error in Karmic

Gnusboy
January 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hi all

I'm having a devilish time installing Karmic on my AMD 64-bit. There seems to be a different issue with every attempt, but today's missive is:
"Unable to install initramfs-tools."
"Check /var/log/syslog"

After about 1000 hours trying to fix a corrupted 9.04, I have attempted repeated installs of 9.10 on a completely reformatted clean drive. I can get the live CD working, but when I try the permanent install, using the guided full drive install, it stopped at "Unable to install initramfs-tools." and halts the base system install. I can't find anything on this for Karmic and Launchpad says it was superseded.

Can I skip this and go on? It showed a install list going forward, but if I can't put in the base system, how do I proceed?

This whole procedure has been a huge pain in the tush. I've burned 2 9.10 disks, a new 9.04 disk, downloaded 9.10 via package manager while in Live CD and get errors on all. The check sums match on D/L, but I can't figure how to do a chksum after it's burned to disk. The file sizes do match, but when I go for the install something always halts it at different steps with different errors. No joy.

I used to have a full head of hippie hair, but I'm nearly bald now.

Is there anything else I can try (within the limits of a newbie) before I start pulling out belly hair all the way down to my nethers?

I've checked all hardware and memory and it's good. If there is no base system, how do I check the syslog? What now?

Gnusboy
January 21st, 2010, 08:19 AM
Bump