PDA

View Full Version : Twitter - I don't get it!

cguy
January 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I find Twitter especially weird.

What's the deal with it?
There are people with a million subscribers who "tweet" things like "I just sneezed".
Uou, is that interesting?!

I can see its usefulness when businesses make some events known or when people promote something interesting, but no, the majority of them say trivial stuff. And they get "followers"!

I need some enlightenment. :D

Techsnap
January 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I don't get it either.

Techsnap posts a reply on Ubuntu Forums

TheNessus
January 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I don't get Tweeter either.

I do however get Twitter.

cguy
January 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Haha! Modified!

Edit: Grrr, the thread's title is still the same.

iponeverything
January 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I don't either, but I see where it might be handy for a parole officer.

madnessjack
January 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
It's like Facebook without the extras

wojox
January 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Twitter is just a microblogging site. It's also a god way for a company to make money ie. higher cellphone bills. I'm not a twit either.

scouser73
January 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I've used Twitter, but after a day or so it loses it's novelty status for me, I don't want to be telling some complete stranger about my hum-drum life. I think any form of letting people know what you're doing 24/7 is just daft, it's like a self imposed invasion of privacy.

~sHyLoCk~
January 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I get twitter, but I also get him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc).

suman_kol
January 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I get twitter, but I also get him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc).
:lolflag:

Bios Element
January 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
It's very useful. But then I'd say this forum is useless. I don't care about prescription drugs. So that makes this forum useless because I can cherry pick the stupid stuff and base my judgment off that.

iponeverything
January 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
It's very useful. But then I'd say this forum is useless. I don't care about prescription drugs. So that makes this forum useless because I can cherry pick the stupid stuff and base my judgment off that.

humm.. can that fit in a tweet.

pwnst*r
January 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM
recurring -->

Tristam Green
January 20th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I don't get Tweeter either.

I do however get Twitter.

Tweeter is a now-defunct electronics chain, similar to what Circuit City was like in the mid 1980s.

TheNessus
January 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I've used Twitter, but after a day or so it loses it's novelty status for me, I don't want to be telling some complete stranger about my hum-drum life. I think any form of letting people know what you're doing 24/7 is just daft, it's like a self imposed invasion of privacy.

You know, you don't have to choose to write what you're doing. You can use it for any number of things, all kinds of things, while taking into account that complete strangers can hop in to see. You can also set who can follow you, so no strangers can see anything if you so wish...

I don't get people who don't get it.

though, I'm not really using it myself.

amitabhishek
January 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I don't get people who don't get it.

I don't get it.

SeanHodges
January 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
There are people with a million subscribers who "tweet" things like "I just sneezed".

Who sneezed?!

Seano911
January 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM
http://twitter.com/newlywedsontjob

Twitter is great :D

DeadSuperHero
January 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I dunno, I actually like microblogging.

But I prefer identi.ca over Twitter any day of the week.

pwnst*r
January 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Tweeter is a now-defunct electronics chain, similar to what Circuit City was like in the mid 1980s.

Except Tweeter was awesome. RIP.

Tristam Green
January 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Except Tweeter was awesome. RIP.

Innit the truth - I only got to go in our Tweeter once; I was duly impressed.

Jesus_Valdez
January 20th, 2010, 03:37 PM
While I get the idea of "I don't care if You just sneeze", I'm on twitter myself.

I try to post funny or weird stuff that I found over the interwebs and I follow people who do the same.

I don't update much about my personal life and I don't follow the people who do that.

KegHead
January 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hi!

I can't figure it out either!

Who cares if you're having a cup of java?

KegHead

ukripper
January 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I don't want to be telling some complete stranger about my hum-drum life. I think any form of letting people know what you're doing 24/7 is just daft, it's like a self imposed invasion of privacy.

same views as ^^. Though i have never tried Twitter or facebook.

Eisenwinter
January 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I hate all of these social network websites.

forrestcupp
January 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Twitter promotes self-conceit and ego trips. These people think that everyone actually cares what they're doing every second of every day.

I love my wife, but I don't even care what she's doing at this very second at work.

Tell me when something important happens, but I don't want to hear about it every time you go to the can. I don't even care if Miley Cyrus has to go to the can.

I do understand the point of businesses using Twitter to keep people updated on things, especially if the company has different branches. But they're actually posting useful info that somebody cares about.

Bios Element
January 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Twitter promotes self-conceit and ego trips. These people think that everyone actually cares what they're doing every second of every day.

Or maybe it promotes open discussion @ useful information. By your argument, I'd say the internet promotes random flaming and idiocy. Just because some people use a tool poorly doesn't make the tool useless.

forrestcupp
January 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Just because some people use a tool poorly doesn't make the tool useless.

Hence my last paragraph. ;)

My wife's company uses Twitter in a very useful way.

You can't argue that Twitter has the image of a bunch of people constantly posting useless information. That's what comes to most people's minds when they think about Twitter.

wojox
January 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hence my last paragraph. ;)

My wife's company uses Twitter in a very useful way.

You can't argue that Twitter has the image of a bunch of people constantly posting useless information. That's what comes to most people's minds when they think about Twitter.

True that. That's how I always thought of it.

konqueror7
January 20th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Or maybe it promotes open discussion @ useful information. By your argument, I'd say the internet promotes random flaming and idiocy. Just because some people use a tool poorly doesn't make the tool useless.

well said,,,i use twitter for updates to my favorite websites,,,i have my account private,,,but its been months since i last logged in,,,i also use twitter integrated to my subversion server,,,:D

but it the long run, i don't see twitter to last long...

Keyper7
January 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Sigh... not this discussion again.

There is nothing to "get" about Twitter, just like there's nothing to "get" about blogs, SMS and email.

It's a communication media with particular restrictions and features.

The usefulness of a communication media depends on the person using it, not the media itself.

Reading useless tweets? You have no one but yourself to blame for that. Go search for useful ones or simply don't read.

madnessjack
January 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I don't get this forum posting business

ticopelp
January 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM
When talking about Twitter, everyone always says "people just post about what they ate for lunch and I DON'T CARE derp derp" but I've never seen anyone on my follow list talk about what they just ate.

There are lots of interesting, funny people on Twitter, and lots of boring, ignorant people on Twitter -- just like anywhere else on the Internet.

Also, complaining about people posting trivial stuff on Twitter... in the Ubuntuforums Community Cafe. There's some irony for you. There's nothing wrong with a little triviality. If you have the time to moan about stuff like this, face it, your time is just not as valuable as you're trying to make it appear.

lovinglinux
January 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I used to bash Twitter on every related thread here. But I have to admit it can be useful. For instance, I'm using it to post quick news about my applications development. It's easier than logging into my CMS and creating an article. Unfortunately, I don't have any followers :)

Some people are using Twitter to distribute file links in a timed manner, others to distribute information that needs to be updated frequently. For instance, there is a company in my country that uses it to distribute TV schedules, so it works as an Electronic Program Guide.

The usefulness depends on the creativity of the tweeter. The API seems to provide the tools for creating cool stuff. But I have to admit that posting about your personal life is just lame.

juancarlospaco
January 20th, 2010, 07:14 PM
The real Microblogging is Identi.Ca, because its aGPL, the other is just a poor crappy clone.

PendragonUK
January 20th, 2010, 07:18 PM
OK I'm a Twitter user and I "get it!"

I'll try to explain...

The internet is like a big mirror to the "Real World" if it exists in the RW then there is a place for it on the internet.

So what is Twitter mirroring?

The "Good Morning" to the guy on the reception desk, the exchanged knod of that bloke in the lift you see every day but don't know the name of. It's a smile to a waitress, the shared grumble when it rains. The bland conversation with half known people at the water tower about last nights TV or the football score. You know that bloke call.... Jeff or something, works in accounts has a couple of kids, nice bloke, odd hair.

It is also the shout of the newspaper seller and bark of the street vendor. It is the verbege of everyday life, the snippets of inconsequential conversation.

You tell people that you have just sneezed in the hope that someone will say "bless you!"

Malakai
January 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Speaking as someone who rarely if ever even uses myspace (id rather just communicate via email, instant messenger, phone/sms or *gasp* face to face), I find all of these new social networking sites incredibly shallow and self centered. OO COMMENT ON HOW PRETTY I LOOK HERE; OO CHECK OUT MY PHAT NEW CAR; OOO ISNT MY GIRLFRIEND AMAZING!!!

Its all a fad that no one will remember a decade from now (hopefully), just like the AOL EVERYTHING of the past, or all the turn of the century web fads that went on. Very few survived. Google seems to be playing it smart, trying to bring about web2.0/cloud stuff that will actually be useful to individuals and businesses for years to come. Notice they have avoided the totally useless pop culture stuff and are sticking to things that are actually useful (gmail,google docs, new communication methods, I particularily like being able to send and receive texts for free from my gmail acct).'

So yeah those services are *mostly* used for self important garbage, leave them be and let them die. Whenever something gets overloaded with movie stars and teeny-boppers you know itll burn bright in the public eye for awhile than die a quiet unimportant death.

I hope anyway. Myspace might survive as it at least serves somewhat of a useful function as a medium for old friends to find each other and keep in touch with more than just words, ie sharing pics and videos, but aside from that the rest is just fluff. Even myspace is overloaded with self indulgent amazingly self-centered pages of people sharing every aspect of their lives as if the whole world is hanging on every bite they have to eat, person they date, movie or concert they go to see.

/rant off, social networking is humanity at its worst the most part, and a great pet peeve of mine. Everytime someone asks me "lets myspace" or "lets tweet" I get murderous intentions (jk ofc)

Admittedly there are some useful functions for them, but I find that googles new services (names escape me, like the one where you create a little network of people and anything anyone types or draws in their window appears on all the other connected clients, we use it at work and its very cool and useful) combined with traditional IMs and Email do the trick just fine for business use without all the unneeded fluff of the mainstream social networking services. Twitter seems to be the most useless of the bunch tho facebook and myspace seem to offer little legotimate uses over regular email/IMs ect.

edit: and imo comparing those services to our communicating on forums is completely invalid. We are people who share similar interests coming together to help eachother, share info, data, help eachother solve problems, and even get to know eachother better.
I have been posting on linux & general tech forums for years, but our conversations have substance and almost always serve a useful purpose, both for those of us directly communicating and helping eachother, and as a serchable resource for others that might be having problems. Many to most problems people have are solved by searching forums just like this and reading how other people solved them.

Posting on a forum like this is not only directly beneficial to you, but beneficial to the linux & tech community as a whole; as these forums once popular enough become one of if not the premier source of information on linux & specific distros. Hardly compared to the useless twitting of 95% of twitter users.

chris200x9
January 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM
egomaniacs

steveneddy
January 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I travel extensively for a living, only home 315 day out of the year.

I use Twitter to let my family and friends keep track of where I am and any news that may have occurred out here on the road.

I have never saw the need to know when someone goes to the bathroom, but for those of us who like to keep in touch without running up long distance bills and to keep many phone call to a minimum, Twitter works for me very well.

BTW - I'm breathing right now.

pwnst*r
January 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM
egomaniacs

Then don't follow them. It's your own fault if that's what you're seeing.

JDShu
January 20th, 2010, 08:40 PM
egomaniacs

Most people like to talk about themselves. Nothing wrong with that.

Maheriano
January 20th, 2010, 09:05 PM
"The creators of YouTube, Twitter and Facebook have banded together to create the ultimate waste of time website. YouTwitFace.com." - Conan O'brien

23meg
January 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
The usefulness depends on the creativity of the tweeter. The API seems to provide the tools for creating cool stuff.

The London Tower Bridge uses Twitter to announce when it's opening and closing, and for which ship travelling in which direction.

http://twitter.com/towerbridge

ticopelp
January 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Speaking as someone who rarely if ever even uses myspace (id rather just communicate via email, instant messenger, phone/sms or *gasp* face to face), I find all of these new social networking sites incredibly shallow and self centered. OO COMMENT ON HOW PRETTY I LOOK HERE; OO CHECK OUT MY PHAT NEW CAR; OOO ISNT MY GIRLFRIEND AMAZING!!! blah blah blah

Hmm, let's see, a self-important rant about how self-important other people are, wild overreaction to trifling phenomena, unironic trumpeting of the teenage "nothing is good if the common sheeple like it" mentality, meaningless, fact-free forecasting of Internet trends, and unjustified, dime-store elitism. You hit all the buttons, good work!

aaaantoine
January 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I don't get it either, but I decided to start an account.

(But, it's not aaaantoine.)

Tristam Green
January 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hmm, let's see, a self-important rant about how self-important other people are, wild overreaction to trifling phenomena, unironic trumpeting of the teenage "nothing is good if the common sheeple like it" mentality, meaningless, fact-free forecasting of Internet trends, and unjustified, dime-store elitism. You hit all the buttons, good work!

Anytime I see those comments, I look at the person, smile, and say "so, you don't like Twitter/Facebook/Michael Bay movies/Apple Pie? Neither do the other half a million nonconformists out there."

Then I look as an expression that can only be described as "what just happened" appears on the other party's face.

Marlonsm
January 20th, 2010, 09:48 PM
This is what I think about Twitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTN9We8unmU
There are some things that just don't need to be shared.

HangukMiguk
January 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I mainly use it to follow news, and a few of my friends.

I haven't seen too much useless crap on my Twitter, but then, I pretty much don't allow that stuff to come through in the first place.

I treat it like a gigantic RSS feed of stuff I care about, and it works.

cguy
January 20th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Following the same lame philosophy, I say that ticopelp is denouncing elitism while playing the elitism card himself - Although he'd say otherwise.

I can't see how asking for clarification or stating an opinion equals complaining, but, hey, those must be countered by cliche lines! - cuz this is what people spit all day on the Internet: cliche lines.

The "covert" idea of my original post was not that I find twitter stupid, but uninteresting. (in the majority of cases)

Shouldn't I follow it then?
Well, I don't! But I'm surprised if this is how the hype(*) was generated and I want to see what the fellow forum users have to say about it.

(*) There are commercials that ask us to follow them on Twitter.

I can't wait for your next template-reply, mister(s) non-complainers! :-/

forrestcupp
January 20th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Then don't follow them. It's your own fault if that's what you're seeing.We don't follow them. We don't even want them to exist. :)

"The creators of YouTube, Twitter and Facebook have banded together to create the ultimate waste of time website. YouTwitFace.com." - Conan O'brien:lolflag:

Hmm, let's see, a self-important rant about how self-important other people are, wild overreaction to trifling phenomena, unironic trumpeting of the teenage "nothing is good if the common sheeple like it" mentality, meaningless, fact-free forecasting of Internet trends, and unjustified, dime-store elitism. You hit all the buttons, good work!Judging by your passionate defensive posts, you must be one of those people who think you need to let everyone know when you go to the can. :)

Keyper7
January 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM
This is what I think about Twitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTN9We8unmU
There are some things that just don't need to be shared.

The video pretty much sums up what people who never used Twitter think.

For people who actually used it, the video does not make sense because:

1) you only post what you want;
2) you only follow who you want;
3) you can block people from following you;
4) You can make your posts restricted only to people who you authorize.

Judging by your passionate defensive posts, you must be one of those people who think you need to let everyone know when you go to the can. :)

Quite the contrary. The way I see it, ticopelp's passionate posts come from the fact that he is not one of those people, but people who bash Twitter tend to over-generalize and have this idea about all users, which is annoying.

It's like saying "Oh, you said you like computers? Then you are one of those people who use Windows! Haha, blue screens.".

Majority != All

People who bash Twitter, and its users, tend to forget this simple fact.

beetleman64
January 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I can see why people like Stephen Fry would do it, but I personally prefer the more interactive nature of Facbook or MySpace to be honest.

To be honest I don't really care what Stephen Fry had for breakfast.

pwnst*r
January 20th, 2010, 11:54 PM
We don't follow them. We don't even want them to exist. :)

I'm sure you speak for the Ubuntu community.

alexfish
January 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM

Keep seeing on Google searches "follow Me on twitter"

Do they think everyone the world is lost

OH sorry , just been informed They were looking for Bill Gates ,it seems they have found him

Well at least Normal people can get on with their Normal lives

hoppipolla
January 21st, 2010, 12:55 AM
I use my Twitter for several things really (I can't remember if I already posted here but what the hey!)

I use it like a diary (and no I don't care if my diary is public, but I could make it private if I wanted), I use it to broadcast things and chat to friends, share funny things online, express my thoughts, just random crap :)

It's not always just about what you're actually DOING at that moment, it can be whatever you want :)

Keyper7
January 21st, 2010, 04:07 AM
The real Microblogging is Identi.Ca, because its aGPL, the other is just a poor crappy clone.

Please, keep zealotry out of this discussion. A license does not make anything more real.

hoppipolla
January 21st, 2010, 04:19 AM
Please, keep zealotry out of this discussion. A license does not make anything more real.

Plus, apparently Twitter came first anyway! ^_^

L4U
January 21st, 2010, 06:03 AM
Just made a post at the Ubuntu forum.

d3v1150m471c
January 21st, 2010, 06:04 AM
I don't either, but I see where it might be handy for a parole officer.

lmfao

lovinglinux
January 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM
What do you think about this?

From: http://securityandthe.net/2009/07/30/dutch-court-rules-the-pirate-bay-should-be-blocked/

The case already made headlines worldwide a couple of weeks ago when the founders of The Pirate Bay were summoned to court via Twitter.

I'm not talking about the whole discussion about "piracy", but about using a service like Twitter for legal matters.

_H3MLOCK
January 21st, 2010, 06:51 AM
It's basically a form of mass rapid notification. Such as for news, announcements...etc.
And since its free for anyone to use, that results in some people posting stuff like "I just sneezed" but you don't have to follow them. The main concept is to get a bit of news/info to a lot of people really fast all the while getting charged for just one sms i.e. sending a group of people the same message while getting charged for just one, but then it became web based.

SirBismuth
January 21st, 2010, 08:12 AM
I registered a Twitter account awhile ago in an attempt to "get it". I have never "tweeted" with it, but have one follower, thought that was funny.

Logged in once or twice after getting the account, and "followed" a few subjects of interest, but as I don't have a Twitter addon or app to following those "tweets" that I follow, and am not interested in installing one, so I don't get to see those "tweets".

I do see the benefit of Twitter from a business perspective, as another means of informing people about specials or promotions, or new products. This can also be done by email or SMS/text as well.

If someone uses it, I says good for them, I don't, so good for me. Whatever, it's a personal choice.

B

m4tic
January 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
It's cheap for business

markp1989
January 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM
It's cheap for business

i can see how businesses can use it for news releases etc, but i dont see why people need it for personal use, its basicaly just facebook status.

as for people who post from mobiles because they sneezed/walked in to a lamp post of some other trivial thing , its abit pathetic

hoppipolla
January 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
i can see how businesses can use it for news releases etc, but i dont see why people need it for personal use, its basicaly just facebook status.

as for people who post from mobiles because they sneezed/walked in to a lamp post of some other trivial thing , its abit pathetic

No no no I think people who think it's just like Facebook status are missing the point a bit. It's far more flexible and also kinda more personal and specialized than that. The "follower" system feels much more flexible than Facebook, and open. It's mostly public, which again makes it feel more open and connected, it remembers all your tweets like entries in a blog... and the simplicity is really cool too.

Plus, you can personalize your page! Hooray! ^_^

I can honestly say that Twitter is my favourite site on the internet, probably ever :) It's just so powerful, you can use it for anything, it can even be a wonderful tool for free speech and even political activism. IMO... best site ever! ^_^

markp1989
January 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM
No no no I think people who think it's just like Facebook status are missing the point a bit. It's far more flexible and also kinda more personal and specialized than that. The "follower" system feels much more flexible than Facebook, and open. It's mostly public, which again makes it feel more open and connected, it remembers all your tweets like entries in a blog... and the simplicity is really cool too.

Plus, you can personalize your page! Hooray! ^_^

I can honestly say that Twitter is my favourite site on the internet, probably ever :) It's just so powerful, you can use it for anything, it can even be a wonderful tool for free speech and even political activism. IMO... best site ever! ^_^

i understand that its more then facebook stats functionality wise, but most twitter accounts i see are used in the same way.

i follow a few tweets for company sites, and torrent sites, but i dont have an account my self.

Keyper7
January 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM

Most of my friends use Twitter to share links. Since they have the same interests as me, those links are usually useful to me, because they are usually about news that are too specific and/or obscure to have been caught by my RSS feeds.

There are a lot of other "personal" things that end up being useful: movie recommendations from people with similar movie tastes as me, friends saying that they will go to concerts I'm thinking about going, witty comments I genuinely find amusing, "did you know"-like comments about interesting things I did *not* know, funny YouTube movies, etc.

Usefulness is a subjective and unpredictable concept. Some time ago a friend tweeted that he got stuck in traffic in a certain street. There was an accident. Since it was a street that is quiet 99% of the time, I would never have checked it before leaving. Thanks to his tweet, I managed to avoid it.

Another example: some time ago I tweeted that I couldn't access my webmail but that www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com reported it was working fine. A few minutes after a friend tweeted me back thanking me for introducing him to DFEOJM, which he didn't know about.

Sometimes, the trivial is useful.

etnlIcarus
January 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM
I like twitter. I don't use it but I appreciate it: finally, a blogging service that doesn't pretend it's users have anything much to say.

Twitter also has the potential advantage of cleaning up the Cafe. Half the terrible threads in the Cafe would make for excellent Tweets.

JSeymour
January 21st, 2010, 01:45 PM
I find Twitter especially weird.I don't find it weird, just worthless.

What's the deal with it?Somebody found another way to fleece the rubes?

Uou, is that interesting?!About as interesting as the content in a million blogs all over the web. No.

I need some enlightenment. :DIf you call having your brain mashed into a non-functional soup so you can enjoy thoroughly worthless past-times such as "tweeting" random thoughts (and I use the word "thoughts" generously) to others, have at it.

As for me: I took one look at the name of the thing, considered the root word, and instantly determined that probably pretty-much told me all I needed to know about it ;). I've yet to have seen anything to disabuse me of that notion.

markp1989
January 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Most of my friends use Twitter to share links. Since they have the same interests as me, those links are usually useful to me, because they are usually about news that are too specific and/or obscure to have been caught by my RSS feeds.

There are a lot of other "personal" things that end up being useful: movie recommendations from people with similar movie tastes as me, friends saying that they will go to concerts I'm thinking about going, witty comments I genuinely find amusing, "did you know"-like comments about interesting things I did *not* know, funny YouTube movies, etc.

Usefulness is a subjective and unpredictable concept. Some time ago a friend tweeted that he got stuck in traffic in a certain street. There was an accident. Since it was a street that is quiet 99% of the time, I would never have checked it before leaving. Thanks to his tweet, I managed to avoid it.

Another example: some time ago I tweeted that I couldn't access my webmail but that www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com reported it was working fine. A few minutes after a friend tweeted me back thanking me for introducing him to DFEOJM, which he didn't know about.

Sometimes, the trivial is useful.

the trafic and web site is a very good use of the service,event information also good. it doesnt really have any use for me, but i admit it does have a purpose (which alot of users dont utilise it to its potential)

+1 to etnlIcarus it is a nice change to a blog post because people can get straight to the point

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
...but i dont see why people need it for personal use, its basicaly just facebook status.

...without all the extra ****

forrestcupp
January 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM
I'm sure you speak for the Ubuntu community.

No. I'm just speaking for the people who don't see the point of people continuously posting things that no one cares about.

I know it's not the same, but my cousin and her husband use their Facebook status in the same way that people use Twitter. Here's an example of how bad they are with it. This past Christmas, they were traveling home from visiting their out of state family. On their way home, they both posted a message at the same time about how bad the roads were. How safe is it to be driving on really bad roads with 3 young kids in the car and both adults think they need to be typing on their phones because everyone in the world cares what they happen to be doing at every second of the day?

When we have family gatherings, that same cousin, who is an adult, is constantly updating her status instead of visiting her family.

I know not everyone does it, but it does happen a lot. It can be dangerous, and definitely annoying. Anyone who denies that is just a fanatic.

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
No. I'm just speaking for the people who don't see the point of people continuously posting things that no one cares about.

I know it's not the same, but my cousin and her husband use their Facebook status in the same way that people use Twitter. Here's an example of how bad they are with it. This past Christmas, they were traveling home from visiting their out of state family. On their way home, they both posted a message at the same time about how bad the roads are. How safe is it to be driving on really bad roads with 3 young kids in the car and both adults think they need to be typing on their phones because everyone in the world cares what they happen to be doing at every second of the day?

When we have family gatherings, that same cousin, who is an adult, is constantly updating her status instead of visiting her family.

I know not everyone does it, but it does happen a lot. It can be dangerous, and definitely annoying. Anyone who denies that is just a fanatic.

Lol, fanatic.

Here's a tip for you - Don't follow them in Twitter, hide their statuses in FB.

Next.

Keyper7
January 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM

Breaking news:

- A lot of books suck.

- A lot of TV shows suck.

- A lot of songs suck.

- A lot of blog articles suck.

- A lot of magazine articles suck.

- A lot of newspaper articles suck.

- A lot of forum posts suck.

More breaking news:

- Everything in the world, including eating salad and breathing oxygen, can be dangerous in exaggerated doses.

So, what exactly Twitter did against you to be the only thing to deserve over-general statements like

Twitter promotes self-conceit and ego trips.

?

Why not

- "TV promotes creation of stupid shows."

- "Radio promotes recording of bad songs."

- "Internet promotes flamewars."

- "I don't like hammers because a cousin of mine accidentaly hit a person with one once."

People who criticize Twitter usually ask what's so special about Twitter. They should ask such question to themselves. What, after all, is so special about Twitter that makes it the only media worthy of being judged as a whole because it can be used for things you don't like?

jayze
January 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM
Twitters about money...(aren't most things on the web: tho someone did tell me the other day that the web is circa 75 percent porn...guess there must be money in porn then lol)...fbuk can be useful for social communication amongst groups (tho if you let it spread to people you don't actually know yeah it becomes a bit silly)..seems to be a sudden rise in fbuk type private by invite only websites lately...which will leave fbuk to the publicity seekers and networkers...ps do remember to never put the truth and falsely tag pics if you must social network lol...and while I'm here can anybody enlighten me as to why passport.com and passportphoto.com and otherlike outfits keep following me round the web. ta!:popcorn:

Tristam Green
January 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM
fbuk

:-k

SeanHodges
January 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
...without all the extra ****

That should be the Twitter slogan

SeanHodges
January 22nd, 2010, 12:31 PM
I went to a group meet-up last night. I sent a tweet saying I was running late, so some of the group waited around for me. I didn't know any of them personally.

During the talks, people were tweeting Web addresses relative to the subject, and answering questions that the speaker did not have time to cover fully.

During a break, I met a few of the people who had been active on Twitter earlier. We had a chat about some projects we were all working on, and if we were interested we would follow that person to get updates on their project.

This sort of thing happens all the time on Twitter. I went to a Coldplay concert a while back in Wembley stadium, and there were hundreds of people posting up pictures of the event from their respective angles - and people tweeting about stuff that was happening in both the bullpit and up in the stands.

Part of the appeal for Twitter is it makes an event quite exhilarating when there are a lot of people passing info about. Many of whom you would never trigger a conversation with usually.

Having said that, Twitter isn't for everyone. Some people just don't enjoy that level of social interaction, and prefer to stick to good old-fashioned face-to-face chin wags :)

forrestcupp
January 22nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Lol, fanatic.

Here's a tip for you - Don't follow them in Twitter, hide their statuses in FB.

Next.

Breaking news:

- A lot of books suck.

I don't care if you guys like Twitter and find it useful. That's great if it enhances your life. But I'm entitled to my opinion, and if it's not my thing, why do you care?

Your rantings against me are just as ridiculous as my rantings against Twitter and Facebook. Basically, we each have our opinions on the subject, and neither opinion really matters.

Ric_NYC
January 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Fart-Twitter: Let you friends know when you fart.

"Hey! I just came from that famous restaurant... I can't stop farting after I ate their food".

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
That's a knee slapper right there.

ticopelp
January 22nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Judging by your passionate defensive posts, you must be one of those people who think you need to let everyone know when you go to the can. :)

Nope, I don't use Twitter. I did for awhile, but it wasn't for me.

Never once posted about lunch or bathroom breaks, either.

Following the same lame philosophy, I say that ticopelp is denouncing elitism while playing the elitism card himself - Although he'd say otherwise.

Nah, I just think people should do what they like and avoid what they don't like without entering into a divisive attitude about it. Don't use or like Twitter? Great! Don't! But why the need to tar everyone who does use it with this ignorant, dismissive brush?

I don't see how that makes me elitist, but whatever.

ticopelp
January 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
Also, I admit I went a little over-the-top with some of my responses, and I apologize for that. I just get weary of this attitude that people talking about themselves on the internet is some sort of fad that's going to go away pretty soon. It's not. We've had blogs and personal webpages for many, many years now, it's time to stop acting bewildered about it.

I often (not always) find that people who are disproportionately bothered by things like Facebook, Twitter, blogs et. al. make a great deal of their indifference. They seem to be under the impression that thousands are clamoring for their personal attention, and that the things that others blog / tweet / update about are so utterly beneath them that it causes genuine offense. And so they trumpet "I don't care what you had for lunch, Internet!" never quite seeming to grasp the irony.

The Internet doesn't care that you don't care. Your indifference is no more interesting than the most tepid blog post about soda crackers ever penned by a regretful and noncommital soda-cracker fetishist. Even the most mediocre and awful efforts on the Internet stand a good chance of building an audience, and if that audience doesn't happen to include you, no one's going to miss you. Attention is the currency of the Internet, and if you want to make a great and pedantic show of witholding yours, don't be surprised when people quickly turn elsewhere and receive a wealth of it from people willing to give theirs freely.

Also, the Internet will not queue up to your personal standards no matter how loudly you wail, so you might as well find something you love and embrace it and not spend so much time overreacting to stuff you don't actually care about.

And yeah, I am not perfect and frequently guilty of the very behavior I'm decrying here. So, anyway, sorry for being a bit rude to some of the other posters here. I was not in line with the Ubuntu philosophy and I'll try to do better. :)

/tl:dr
/cool story bro

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
lol

Keyper7
January 22nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
I don't care if you guys like Twitter and find it useful. That's great if it enhances your life. But I'm entitled to my opinion, and if it's not my thing, why do you care?

Your rantings against me are just as ridiculous as my rantings against Twitter and Facebook. Basically, we each have our opinions on the subject, and neither opinion really matters.

I am not trying to change your opinion. I am trying to understand it.

I am genuinely curious about why your main argument against Twitter, "it can be used in wrong ways", is not applicable to other media.

thunk77
January 22nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
I don't get it either..
It's all Greek to me :P

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Also, I admit I went a little over-the-top with some of my responses, and I apologize for that. I just get weary of this attitude that people talking about themselves on the internet is some sort of fad that's going to go away pretty soon. It's not. We've had blogs and personal webpages for many, many years now, it's time to stop acting bewildered about it.

I often (not always) find that people who are disproportionately bothered by things like Facebook, Twitter, blogs et. al. make a great deal of their indifference. They seem to be under the impression that thousands are clamoring for their personal attention, and that the things that others blog / tweet / update about are so utterly beneath them that it causes genuine offense. And so they trumpet "I don't care what you had for lunch, Internet!" never quite seeming to grasp the irony.

The Internet doesn't care that you don't care. Your indifference is no more interesting than the most tepid blog post about soda crackers ever penned by a regretful and noncommital soda-cracker fetishist. Even the most mediocre and awful efforts on the Internet stand a good chance of building an audience, and if that audience doesn't happen to include you, no one's going to miss you. Attention is the currency of the Internet, and if you want to make a great and pedantic show of witholding yours, don't be surprised when people quickly turn elsewhere and receive a wealth of it from people willing to give theirs freely.

Also, the Internet will not queue up to your personal standards no matter how loudly you wail, so you might as well find something you love and embrace it and not spend so much time overreacting to stuff you don't actually care about.

And yeah, I am not perfect and frequently guilty of the very behavior I'm decrying here. So, anyway, sorry for being a bit rude to some of the other posters here. I was not in line with the Ubuntu philosophy and I'll try to do better. :)

/tl:dr
/cool story broThe irony is that your post is too long for me to care about reading it. :)

Just joking. You made a good point. No one cares that I don't care.

I am not trying to change your opinion. I am trying to understand it.

I am genuinely curious about why your main argument against Twitter, "it can be used in wrong ways", is not applicable to other media.Well, I've often thought the same about the Cafe area of these forums, even though that's about the only place I post anymore. :)

You're right, but my main argument was against people who post so much from their phones to Twitter or Facebook that they become so obsessed that they even need to do it while they are driving in dangerous conditions. I doubt if that happens much with Ubuntu Forums.

ticopelp
January 23rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
You're right, but my main argument was against people who post so much from their phones to Twitter or Facebook that they become so obsessed that they even need to do it while they are driving in dangerous conditions. I doubt if that happens much with Ubuntu Forums.

Even in my wildest defense of Twitter I wouldn't endorse people doing it while driving. :D

pwnst*r
January 23rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Dislike Twitter because people have been texting while driving since SMS was widely available? LOL, talk about reaching.

HappinessNow
January 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
BTW - I'm breathing right now.
Good to know Thanks for the Tweet (I mean Ubuntu Forums cafe forum post). :P

I like twitter. I don't use it but I appreciate it: finally, a blogging service that doesn't pretend it's users have anything much to say.

Twitter also has the potential advantage of cleaning up the Cafe. Half the terrible threads in the Cafe would make for excellent Tweets. Is there a Tweeter/Ubuntu forums application that Tweets Ubuntu Forums post or vice versa?

Anybody buy the Twitter Peek?

"The World's First dedicated Twitter Device"
http://www.twitterpeek.com/respond in poll here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1388416

RabbitWho
January 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
Twitter is extremely important and one of the greatest advances our society has made in recent years.
When the tSunami hit the BBC found out about it from Twitter, from real people who were there talking about it, they knew within minutes.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/clay_shirky_how_cellphones_twitter_facebook_can_ma ke_history.html

Twitter has even saved lives, many, you think it's pointless, but how many lives have you saved? Maybe Twitter thinks you're pointless!

ankspo71
January 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Everybody I know (including myself) is at facebook. I don't mind the socialising part but I don't get the "what are you doing now" things that twitter, facebook, and now even myspace has. I used to like myspace better than facebook because I didn't need an email address to search for someone, and not every page looked the same. I get lost every time I log into facebook lol, but all of my friends are there.

As for the original question, no, I don't get it/them either.
:P

hoppipolla
January 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Twitter is extremely important and one of the greatest advances our society has made in recent years.
When the tSunami hit the BBC found out about it from Twitter, from real people who were there talking about it, they knew within minutes.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/clay_shirky_how_cellphones_twitter_facebook_can_ma ke_history.html

Twitter has even saved lives, many, you think it's pointless, but how many lives have you saved? Maybe Twitter thinks you're pointless!

hehe hooray someone who regards it as highly as me! :)

Maybe higher! :o

forrestcupp
January 25th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Dislike Twitter because people have been texting while driving since SMS was widely available? LOL, talk about reaching.

Well, I don't like people texting while driving, either. But the subject matter is on Twitter, not SMS. I have personal experience with people driving while engaging in the subject matter, so that's what I posted.

If you want to start a thread about texting, then we'll talk about that.

aaaantoine
January 25th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Hey, listen, if Twitter's not your thing, maybe you should try Woofer (http://woofertime.com/) instead.

hoppipolla
January 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hey, listen, if Twitter's not your thing, maybe you should try Woofer (http://woofertime.com/) instead.

haha that's wicked :)

I also like this: http://adocu.com/

and on a slightly more serious note, this! http://www.emotionr.com/

^_^