PDA

View Full Version : Peer 2 Peer Web Hosting?

Warpnow
January 20th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Does anyone know of any real implimentation of this, or know if it would be possible? I've seen what people call P2P webhosting and its really just software to wisely select mirrors.

I think it would be neat to have a program, similar to a web browser, that surfs pages hosted collectively. The web is becoming more and more restricted, yet things like torrents are alive and thriving, unstoppable, except for their one weakness...the websites that fuel them.

Would something like this even be possible?

murderslastcrow
January 20th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I had an idea like this recently, too. It would open up a whole new internet. We could even have some way of going to these websites in a normal browser, I would think.

But think about it- if they have programs that can torrent videos and let you watch what you've downloaded so far, it's not hard to think we could do P2P web browsing. In fact, I think the internet should do this by default and just have a mirror backed up in case the site has no active peers.

So yeah, it would be possible, but no one seems to care at the moment with all the broadband and Google Chrome flying in everyone's faces. I have thought about this for a while, too, however.

lovinglinux
January 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I have thought about this too. It seemed to be a crazy idea, but now I see I'm not the only one having it. Cool.

There are two problems that I can image. First, the server. The p2p browser would have to include a server, since the content would be played locally. But then, each server would have to be configured the same way or the site would need some sort of metadata to interact with the server.

The second problem...web site updates. The p2p site would need some sort of version checking to inform the user about site changes and points to the new content.