PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nearly black screen after log in

Fiable.biz
January 20th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hello.

We use Mandriva Linux on all our computers. I tried to install Ubuntu 9.10 on one of them by default installation. For the moment there is only one user declared. The installation seems OK, except that Ubuntu didn't find my PPPoE connexion.
When I logged in, I got a blank screen with the mouse cursor (it moved, but when I left or right-clicked nothing happened) and on the left something looking like two 1-pixel wide menus, as if the system had understood there were a dual screen. These menus could roll and unroll, and I think I even once managed to shutdown by going to the last invisible item thanks to the keyboard arrows (I'm not sure, because I had also clicked on ctrl+alt+suppr, so it could be a delayed effect of that). I restarted the computer several times, to get no more than that. When I'm in Gnome safe, everything is OK but I don't have any root privilege there (I guess it's normal): for instance, I can't set up the internet connexion. My 20" 4/3 Philips screen is recognized.
Then I changed the screen frequency: it's still OK for Gnome safe session, but now, in the Gnome normal session, instead of a black screen with 1-pixel wide menu, I get a black background picture with white light coming from above and reflecting to an otherwise invisible floor. The mouse cursor is moving, but this is the only thing which works.
This behaviour it's not a very polite welcoming for a new user. ;)

Any idea?

Fiable.biz
January 20th, 2010, 09:11 AM
To vacuum the room we unplugged the computer and the screen. And now it works! (except internet connexion). Don't ask me why. So the very scientifically established rule is:

Karmic koala doesn't like living in dusty eucalyptus, but, for better karma, likes fast of electricity.