PDA

View Full Version : I want to be able to change my hostname on IRC

CJ Master
January 20th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I've googled for BNCs, Vhosts, all that yadda... I don't really understand it. Is there anyway to easily change my hostname on IRC?

(Using Xchat on Windows)

baddog144
January 20th, 2010, 07:00 AM
No, not really (as far as I know). You need to get a cloak generally, and that's network dependent. You should probably ask in the support channel for whatever network you're on.

CJ Master
January 20th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I registered a hostname under DynDNS, now I just have to find a bouncer for windows that actually works and isn't insanely confusing.

Thanks for the advice, but I'd rather have it changed then cloaked. My network also doesn't support vhosts.

user1397
January 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM
you could always just make a new one.

YeOK
January 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
You can also rent a shell host, they are cheap, about £3 per month for a basic IRC bouncer. I use ZNC (http://en.znc.in/wiki/ZNC), not sure if it work on windows.

CJ Master
January 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
you could always just make a new one.
I don't understand. I am trying to make a new hostname.

You can also rent a shell host, they are cheap, about £3 per month for a basic IRC bouncer. I use ZNC (http://en.znc.in/wiki/ZNC), not sure if it work on windows.
Is a shell host required? Does there happen to be any way to get a free one?

Grenage
January 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Your hostname is where you connection is coming from, you can only have a different one by proxying with a bouncer or shell account. I'm not aware of any free providers.

You do mean hostname, not user name, right?

CJ Master
January 20th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Your hostname is where you connection is coming from, you can only have a different one by proxying with a bouncer or shell account. I'm not aware of any free providers.

You do mean hostname, not user name, right?

Yes. For example, this is one I saw.

Person has connected (~Person@SHAM.WOW)

Something like that.. Just my own personal hostname like that SHAM.WOW one. Did he have to pay to do that?

YeOK
January 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Yes. For example, this is one I saw.

Something like that.. Just my own personal hostname like that SHAM.WOW one. Did he have to pay to do that?

Depends, some IRC networks offer a Vhost service (free). If your ISP allows, you can sometimes set a reverse DNS, I doubt you can do this however. The other option is to rent a shell and use a bouncer. I don't know of any free services. Make sure if you do rent one, it allows you to set a custom hostname (rDNS).

CJ Master
January 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I found a free shell account hosting service on SDF. How do I set rDNS? And after that, how do I use a bouncer on it?

YeOK
January 20th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I found a free shell account hosting service on SDF. How do I set rDNS? And after that, how do I use a bouncer on it?

I don't know, usually rDNS is setup via an admin panel. Ask your host. As for a BNC, depends on the shell host, some will have easy to use menus, others will expect you to install it (./configure, make).

Dayofswords
January 20th, 2010, 10:07 PM
underneath, there's your mildew

CJ Master
January 21st, 2010, 03:24 AM
Ug. Turns out the shell host I found doesn't have support for BNC. Does anyone know of a free one that does, that doesn't require you to send in a postcard or something ridiculous like that?