PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to remove this old SP?

kyqinqiqin
January 20th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Like this title.
When I updates available, it is disappear a new name to like "ubuntu 2.6.31.6-166.fc12.i386" and " ubuntu 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i386". When I enter the ubuntu while my must select one. And I found my local-disc has added used byte when I after updates the 9.10.
I meaning is I hope I can made it more and more to smallest. Because I don't think to choose, and I think to release more and more the disc-space.
And you can help me. Tell me how to do.
Thanks all for your help.

x33a
January 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
If you intend to remove the older kernel, take a look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

Too Many Kernels? Kernels removed via Synaptic or with "apt-get remove" will automatically update grub.cfg and no user action is required.

In Synaptic, type the kernel number in the search window at the upper right (for example - 2.6.28-11).
Find the "linux-image" and "linux-headers" files for the applicable kernel (example - linux-image-2.6.26-11 or "linux-image-2.6.26-11-generic).
Right click and select "Mark for Complete Removal" and then press the Apply main menu button.
The kernels will be removed from your system and from the Grub menu.
If you are not sure of the kernel you are currently using, in a terminal type "uname -r".
Many users keep one previous kernel on the machine which previously ran without problems.

Other Operating Systems which have been removed from the computer will also be removed from the menu once "update-grub2" is run as root.
To prevent one of the /etc/init.d files from running, remove the "executable" bit.

Example: If you don't want to see the "Memtest86+" entries, run this command:
Code:
sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+
Run the update-grub command to allow the changes to be incorporated in grub.cfg