PDA

View Full Version : I am carrying out an investigation! (about American stand-up comedians!)

hoppipolla
January 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Now! Do you like Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, or George Carlin? Or do you not like any? Or have you not heard of any?

Because you see, I love Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope, I find them controversial but yet clever, edgy, constructive! George Carlin everyone seems to love, but I can't see why as much - he seems (or seemed ._.) to like moaning and ranting a lot without presenting too many constructive conclusions or any real positive thinking!

So who do you like? And I am I missing something about Mr Carlin's material? O.O

Thanks for reading anyway, and maybe I'll be proven wrong! I mean I do appreciate his insightfulness in dealing with important issues and political theories, but I just wish he wasn't so negative!

anyway, see you round!

Hoppi! :)

00ber n00b
January 20th, 2010, 05:13 AM
You're not American.

/thread

hoppipolla
January 20th, 2010, 05:14 AM
You're not American.

/thread

and that negates my ability to comment on American stand-up comedy because?

whiskeylover
January 20th, 2010, 05:15 AM
You're not American.

/thread

And that is relevant because...?

hoppipolla
January 20th, 2010, 05:15 AM

haha great minds :)

whiskeylover
January 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Woah!

*cheers*

I love George Carlin, by the way.

sailthesea
January 20th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Bill Hicks was a genius!
The saddest thing to me about his passing was that he never got to see or say anything about the last 10 years of American government. He could've started a revolution!
RIP Bill

nmccrina
January 20th, 2010, 05:27 AM
The only one of those I've heard of is Carlin, and I haven't even heard any of his actual routines. I like Jerry Seinfeld, but mostly because of the TV show. I also like Kathleen Madigan, who I discovered quite randomly when she was a guest on a local radio program. In general, I prefer sketch comedy to stand-up comedy, and Monty Python are the kings of that. Do you want to trade countries? :)

hoppipolla
January 20th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Woah!

*cheers*

haha I'll drink to that!

http://www.bienmanger.com/images/genre/2614-0w120h120_Whisky_Nikka_Nikka_Wooden_Presentation_B ox_From_Barrel_Glasses.jpg

:D

hoppipolla
January 20th, 2010, 05:31 AM
The only one of those I've heard of is Carlin, and I haven't even heard any of his actual routines. I like Jerry Seinfeld, but mostly because of the TV show. I also like Kathleen Madigan, who I discovered quite randomly when she was a guest on a local radio program. In general, I prefer sketch comedy to stand-up comedy, and Monty Python are the kings of that. Do you want to trade countries? :)

Oh if you like British sketch shows... have you seen Mitchell and Webb? Absolutely brilliant :)

nmccrina
January 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Oh if you like British sketch shows... have you seen Mitchell and Webb? Absolutely brilliant :)

No, I'll have to look it up!

00ber n00b
January 20th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Lol

Icehuck
January 20th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I still think the Musical Mice skit from Monty Python is the best thing ever.

Grifulkin
January 20th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Carlin was the greatest, not a huge fan of Bill Hicks.

hoppipolla
January 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah I think I'm gonna watch some Carlin stand-ups all the way through, who knows maybe there is something I'm missing :)

It's just that people would always quote him and point to clips and it just felt like ranting every time, with no real significant purpose ._.

He also can feel very misanthropic, which I guess is just a clash with my own personal view, as I tend to be very very philanthropic... maybe that's the most immediate reason I can't click with his comedy or way of seeing things...

Tristam Green
January 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM
If you have to ask about why George Carlin's stand-up routines seem like rants, you're doing it wrong.

PuddingKnife
January 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Carlin and Hicks are legends.. called things like they saw 'em and made us laugh about it.

Mitch Hedberg is* also awesome.

*I meant was :(

kevCast
January 20th, 2010, 10:34 PM
George Carlin everyone seems to love, but I can't see why as much - he seems (or seemed ._.) to like moaning and ranting a lot without presenting too many constructive conclusions or any real positive thinking!

Yet you like Bill Hicks?

forrestcupp
January 20th, 2010, 11:12 PM
George Carlin is a waste. The only good thing he has done was Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Look at the crap comedy that the Brits think is great and that will tell you why it's relevant. If they think that stuff is great, how could they be expected to understand American comedy? Benny Hill is the best the UK has put out.

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 12:21 AM

Because you're not American.

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 12:22 AM
Yet you like Bill Hicks?

^This.

Hicks is a lamer, Carlin ftw.

earthpigg
January 21st, 2010, 12:41 AM
straw poll:

do you think stand up is more or less popular in your country than in the US?

hoppipolla
January 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM
Ok let me deal with some stuff here!

Yet you like Bill Hicks?

Bill Hicks was always very constructive and also spiritual, it never felt like just ranting - it had a purpose and a message that was positive :)

At least, that's how it felt/feels to me...

Look at the crap comedy that the Brits think is great and that will tell you why it's relevant. If they think that stuff is great, how could they be expected to understand American comedy? Benny Hill is the best the UK has put out.

Heh well I do not pretend to speak for all British people, but I personally love things like Mitchell and Webb, Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Two Pints, Armstrong and Miller etc etc :) We have put out a lot of good stuff too over the years!

Stand-up possibly not so great, but I do enjoy stuff like Ricky Gervais, Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran, stuff like that :) Not in the same league as much American stuff but... that's why my faves are from the US!

Because you're not American.

But I still don't see how that renders me unable to comment. It might slightly HINDER my ability to comment as I was not brought up with it etc etc, but that's why I am asking for more opinions... I still believe I am entitled to my own though...

^This.

Hicks is a lamer, Carlin ftw.

in your opinion.

straw poll:

do you think stand up is more or less popular in your country than in the US?

hehe I have no idea, I mean it is pretty popular here but... it's very hard to gauge.

Overall I dunno it's probably equal :)

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 02:06 AM
Now! Do you like Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, or George Carlin? Or do you not like any? Or have you not heard of any?

Because you see, I love Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope, I find them controversial but yet clever, edgy, constructive! George Carlin everyone seems to love, but I can't see why as much - he seems (or seemed ._.) to like moaning and ranting a lot without presenting too many constructive conclusions or any real positive thinking!

So who do you like? And I am I missing something about Mr Carlin's material? O.O

Thanks for reading anyway, and maybe I'll be proven wrong! I mean I do appreciate his insightfulness in dealing with important issues and political theories, but I just wish he wasn't so negative!

anyway, see you round!

Hoppi! :)

In your opinion.

hoppipolla
January 21st, 2010, 02:09 AM
In your opinion.

yeah but I stated my opinion as if it was opinion, you stated your opinion quite bluntly and in a manner that suggested it was fact.

I know you did just mean it to be your own view, it just came across a bit harsh that's all!

aaaantoine
January 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
I feel like Carlin got a little too vulgar and bitter in his old age. That said, he still had a lot of great material and excellent delivery.

I've recently come across his "Class Clown" collection. This is a bit from that collection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yessvOjnUBA

nmccrina
January 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
I've been watching some George Carlin and Bill Hicks clips on Youtube. I disliked Bill Hicks; it was like he was just pointing at people (Christians) and telling the audience to laugh at them. He wasn't actually being funny himself. I am not very religious and am annoyed by rednecks as much as anyone, but Hicks just wasn't funny to me. Carlin was better. I liked the 7 Dirty Words and Airplane Safety routines.

The good thing about English comedy is that even if the sketch/stand-up routine is rather flat, I can still enjoy listening to the accents. :D

Tristam Green
January 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
I feel like Carlin got a little too vulgar and bitter in his old age.

He was an old man. What do you expect, lol

Chronon
January 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM
Ok let me deal with some stuff here!

Bill Hicks was always very constructive and also spiritual, it never felt like just ranting - it had a purpose and a message that was positive :)

At least, that's how it felt/feels to me...

He could get quite dark at times. Sometimes the crowd just didn't get it and he would just bludgeon them with vitriol. (See the "Dark Poet" bootleg for an example of this.)

I love Bill Hicks, but he was not always a ray of sunshine.

I do like what I have seen of Doug Stanhope. He does seem to fall into a similar vein to Carlin and Hicks.

Joe Rogan is a bit hit-or-miss but I think some of his stuff is good.

hoppipolla
January 22nd, 2010, 01:29 AM
I feel like Carlin got a little too vulgar and bitter in his old age. That said, he still had a lot of great material and excellent delivery.

I've recently come across his "Class Clown" collection. This is a bit from that collection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yessvOjnUBA

yeah, I mean that's exactly my issue.

In fairness though, yeah I like some stuff actually, I mean this kind of thing is now impressing me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6ZIlZpcDQ

I'll definitely give him some more time :)

JDShu
January 22nd, 2010, 03:50 AM
Hicks seems far less pleasant than Carlin to me. It seems strange that you like Hicks but dislike Carlin... for being an angry person.

hoppipolla
January 22nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
Hicks seems far less pleasant than Carlin to me. It seems strange that you like Hicks but dislike Carlin... for being an angry person.

it's not really for being angry though, it's how the underlying message feels.

Hicks' basic message seemed more philanthropic and often spiritual. I mean I'm very open to being wrong about Carlin, but anyone who thinks that Hicks just moans or is negative surely has missed the point...

This clip illustrates all this quite well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA :)

I think Bill Hicks was amazing :)

JDShu
January 22nd, 2010, 05:17 AM
it's not really for being angry though, it's how the underlying message feels.

Hicks' basic message seemed more philanthropic and often spiritual. I mean I'm very open to being wrong about Carlin, but anyone who thinks that Hicks just moans or is negative surely has missed the point...

This clip illustrates all this quite well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA :)

I think Bill Hicks was amazing :)

My view:
Bill Hicks just fails to make me lol. His skits either make me agree or disagree with him (like the link you posted) and never make me laugh. Its more like watching a political commentator. Perhaps he was a revolutionary ahead of his time and had a vision... but for me, he lacks the one thing a stand up comedian needs.

As for angry men, both Hicks and Carlin come off as very negative, its part of their act and they make the same use of it. Thats why I found it strange that you seem to think one is less negative than the other because it seems about the same to me.

hoppipolla
January 22nd, 2010, 05:34 AM
My view:
Bill Hicks just fails to make me lol. His skits either make me agree or disagree with him (like the link you posted) and never make me laugh. Its more like watching a political commentator. Perhaps he was a revolutionary ahead of his time and had a vision... but for me, he lacks the one thing a stand up comedian needs.

As for angry men, both Hicks and Carlin come off as very negative, its part of their act and they make the same use of it. Thats why I found it strange that you seem to think one is less negative than the other because it seems about the same to me.

I have never heard Carlin say anything as positive as that Hicks clip ._.

In addition I mean, that clip, I didn't really post it because I thought it was FUNNY as such, I posted it for what he is actually trying to say.

If you want him to make you laugh I would recommend watching One Night Stand, it is SO funny, I believe the whole thing is on YouTube, if you get a chance anyway :)

Carlin is very very negative from what I've seen and very.. almost defeatist :( From what I've seen, I'll watch more soon, but yeah that's really my main gripe, he does (or did, rather :( ) actually seem like quite an intelligent and "switched on" person in his way.

blueturtl
January 22nd, 2010, 09:22 AM
George Carlin, though sometimes deliberately crude, would always have something more profound hidden in his routine for the viewers to munch on.

A misanthropist would let people get on destroying themselves, but Carlin obviously cared too much about people to do that. The reason he was in showbiz for sure was so that he could get his message across. The reason he went the comedy route is that it is the only way to get people to listen what might otherwise be deemed way too deep or involving material.

I only learned of him after he had already passed. A real pity I say.

My 5 cents.

edit: Hoppipolla remix:

Carlin is very very negative from what I've seen and very.. almost defeatist From what I've seen, I'll watch more soon, but yeah that's really my main gripe, he does (or did, rather ) actually seem like quite an intelligent and "switched on" person in his way.

Do you know those baddies in movies who are always going on to the hero about how he has no chance to affect things and how evil will triumph? How everything has already been set and there's nothing you can do about it? Then the hero suddenly becomes motivated empowered by his rage at the wrongness of it all and takes action.

This I'm sure is a form of reverse psychology Carlin employed on us so that we wouldn't just sit on our ***** and laugh at what he said and have armchair discussions over it. He was trying to motivate us in a way the baddies should.

Khakilang
January 22nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
I like Eddie Murphy on his show RAW. He is hillarious.

[h2o]
January 22nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
There are great american comedians. Most of the best comedy stuff (not just stand-up) is british though. I thought that was a universally known fact? ;)
No, I am not british by the way.

Saw a show about comedy once and one comedian (who might have been Dylan Moran, when I think about it) explained to the reporter that the worse the weather in a country the better the comedy.