PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update description

bondmatt
January 20th, 2010, 04:39 AM
May 'task bar' currently has an 'update available' icon. When I open this window and read the description:

This package contains modules supplied by Ubuntu for Linux kernel 2.6.24 on x86/x86_64.
You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the linux-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.

What is meant by 'You likely do not want to install this package directly.'? Does this mean using the package manager is a bad idea?

Thank you,
- Matt Bondy

marshmallow1304
January 20th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Is that the only package in the update list?

bondmatt
January 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM
It is the only 'Recommended Update' in the Update Manager. I think the icon in the task bar is different as well. I think it is usually a red circle with a big downward pointing arrow. It is currently orange with an irregular boundary and a small downard pointing arrow.

I probably should have mentioned I am running 8.04LTS 64bit.

With a bit more poking around I think I see why the icon is different. I think this update is a result of looking in all repositories for updates/software. It looks like it is an 'unofficial' update.

This lick is provided in the update manager: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/445673
Any recommendations?

Thanks,
- Matt Bondy

marshmallow1304
January 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
You're probably good to go ahead and update. If it's an update, then obviously some version is already installed. On the other hand, if you don't want to risk it, there's nothing forcing you.