PDA

View Full Version : Gateway LT31

PoisonSerpent
January 20th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Hi there. I am planning to dualboot my Gateway LT31 (LT3114u to be exact) and was wondering, are there any special precautions to take when installing it?

I know how to dualboot (it's quite simple to do, actually), but was wondering if there was anything extra to do for the other stuff (webcam, power, wifi cards, etc...), and if so, how do I do it?

If there are any links that you can give me on how to do this, that would be amazing of you. =) I have read the thread on the kernel for 9.04 that fixes power management, but has it been fixed in 9.10?

I won't be doing this until I manage to get a set of backup DVDs made (currently having trouble with the backup software), so I have awhile.

Thanks,

PoisonSerpent

mikewhatever
January 20th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Have you run Ubuntu from cd yet? It's very useful for testing hardware, and once done, you'll know if you have to do anything extra and can tell us all about it. Was there really a power management problem in 9.04? I didn't know. Can you post a link to the thread.

PoisonSerpent
January 25th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Have you run Ubuntu from cd yet? It's very useful for testing hardware, and once done, you'll know if you have to do anything extra and can tell us all about it. Was there really a power management problem in 9.04? I didn't know. Can you post a link to the thread.

I am currently, while writing this post on it, running the Ubuntu Netbook Remix off of the Live CD, and I love it.

Wireless works fine, and power management seems to work good. For some reason, it is saying that every word that I type, Firefox says it is wrong.

Oh well, it seems to work perfectly, so once I get my backup discs made, I will definitely wipe the hard drive (yes, I like it THAT much), and install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it.

Have a nice day!
PoisonSerpent

cyberey66
June 9th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I am currently, while writing this post on it, running the Ubuntu Netbook Remix off of the Live CD, and I love it.

Wireless works fine, and power management seems to work good. For some reason, it is saying that every word that I type, Firefox says it is wrong.

Oh well, it seems to work perfectly, so once I get my backup discs made, I will definitely wipe the hard drive (yes, I like it THAT much), and install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it.

Have a nice day!
PoisonSerpent

Does CPU throttling work? As far as I know, the lt31 series doesn't work unless you compile a kernel with a DSDT override

cubicsilver
August 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
There is a modified bios that embeds the dsdt table in the bios allowing throttling to work.

morrie
March 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
So, do I need that modified BIOS to install(properly) the Netbook Edition on my LT3103u? (Where do I get that? What is it called?) The regular edition crashed (froze) on me so I'm trying to install the Netbook Edition. We'll see..
:popcorn: