PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nvidia 9800 GTX+ , Black Screen at Startup

Xog
January 20th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I looked through a few similar threads using the search but I couldn't find any that helps.

Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
Nvidia 9800 GTX+

Fresh install. I do an update, reboot. Then I update my graphics driver and reboot. I'm at a black screen after the three people holding hands on the startup screen.

What do I do?

mikewhatever
January 20th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I don't think Karmic has a 'three people holding hands' screen. What version of Ubuntu are you trying to use?

lidex
January 20th, 2010, 04:49 AM
If you hold down your shift key after the bios screen, you should be presented with the grub screen. Select and boot into recovery mode after which you will shown some repair options. Choose the xserver one after that process reboot.

Xog
January 20th, 2010, 05:57 AM
If you hold down your shift key after the bios screen, you should be presented with the grub screen. Select and boot into recovery mode after which you will shown some repair options. Choose the xserver one after that process reboot.

heh, just wound up reinstalling it. Whatever :P

and the 3 ppl holding hands: http://ubuntuforums.org/images/misc/ubuntulogo.png

They're all holding hands, looking up at you. (different nationalities and such) -- at least that's how I see it :P

mikewhatever
January 20th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I remember that login screen from the previous versions of Ubuntu, which suggests you may not be running Karmic, as it says in your info field. As far as I know, Karmic's login screen is a non-customizable, dark purple background with a black square in the center.

Xog
January 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I have it set to login automatically.. after I select which OS I want to boot in to, it goes to a black screen with the symbol, but the symbol is white. then it switches to a purple/black screen that says "Ubuntu" with a loading bar underneath it.

FAIRLY sure I'm running ubuntu karmic ;)

lidex
January 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I have it set to login automatically.. after I select which OS I want to boot in to, it goes to a black screen with the symbol, but the symbol is white. then it switches to a purple/black screen that says "Ubuntu" with a loading bar underneath it.

FAIRLY sure I'm running ubuntu karmic ;)

Wh:wink:tever

Sorry, I couldn't resist.