PDA

View Full Version : Who else likes Neon Genesis Evangelion?

dragos240
January 20th, 2010, 01:21 AM
The anime/manga. I've personally watched the whole series twice. The end of evangelion is a bit confusing, too much death also :(. Misato, why?! Oh well. Who else likes the series?

RiceMonster
January 20th, 2010, 01:23 AM
It's a good series. Yeah, the ending is pretty crazy, but I enjoyed it. I think it's around half way through that the series gets really good, because it felt a bit repetitive for the first few episodes, to me.

Mornedhel
January 20th, 2010, 01:37 AM
The anime/manga. I've personally watched the whole series twice. The end of evangelion is a bit confusing, too much death also :(. Misato, why?! Oh well. Who else likes the series?

Ah c'mon, Misato's death was a powerful moment. Usually Japanese movies and anime drag their ending until they're sure the viewer understands that everything (and I mean everything) has ended well. Having characters die is rare enough that it becomes a treat.

It's a good series. Yeah, the ending is pretty crazy, but I enjoyed it. I think it's around half way through that the series gets really good, because it felt a bit repetitive for the first few episodes, to me.

It's the usual monster-of-the-week-turns-into-larger-conspiracy plot. You have to watch the first episodes to get acquainted with the characters and see them evolve.

dragos240
January 20th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Ah c'mon, Misato's death was a powerful moment. Usually Japanese movies and anime drag their ending until they're sure the viewer understands that everything (and I mean everything) has ended well. Having characters die is rare enough that it becomes a treat.

But really, did she really have to die like that? :(

RiceMonster
January 20th, 2010, 02:22 AM
But really, did she really have to die like that? :(

If you think that's depressing, don't watch Clannad After Story or Saikano.

Actually, just don't watch them anyway (WAY too depressing).

Frak
January 20th, 2010, 02:25 AM
The ending BLEW MY MIND. I was like, wait, what was the point of the entire show, then?

Keyper7
January 20th, 2010, 03:19 AM
If you think that's depressing, don't watch Clannad After Story or Saikano.

Actually, just don't watch them anyway (WAY too depressing).

Ah yes, Saikano. The first anime that succeeded in bringing tears to my eyes.

Anyway, Eva is a good series and deserves its cult status. And I do agree that Misato's death is quite a strong scene. Specially with Shinji realizing afterwards that his mouth is full of her blood.

I felt more sorry for Ritsuko, though. Poor woman's been just used and then thrown away.

Icehuck
January 20th, 2010, 03:31 AM

Really? Characters die all to often and usually the deaths don't do anything to enhance plot.

JDShu
January 20th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I personally think that all the things Gainax made are overrated. Evangelion doesn't even try to make sense. I had to google it and it turned out the important stuff is described in the video games. FLCL makes even less sense. Viewing media as solely giant metaphors doesn't do it for me.

Chilli Bob
January 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I absolutely loved this series. I have watched it through 8 or 10 times now, gradually it all makes sense, you just have to pick up the clues (and read the Red Book - a big help)

Just finished the second box set of Full Metal Alchemist. Just as good as Evengelion, though a quite different genre. Any recommendations what to see next?

murderslastcrow
January 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I love the ending. Girls have a way of bringing you back to your senses.

SamuraiByte
January 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I personally love the series, it is one of the few shows that brought anime into the mainstream. There are plenty more out there as good or better. However when it comes to giant robots, it is one of the best imho.

Mornedhel
January 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Really? Characters die all to often and usually the deaths don't do anything to enhance plot.

How often is it that one of the main characters die ? Or even one of the recurring characters that's been following the main party since the beginning ?

Have you seen Cowboy Bebop ? (Sorry for those who haven't, now you know *someone* is going to die...)

If you're talking about redshirts and mooks, yes, of course they die by the shovelful -- that's their purpose.

V for Vincent
January 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Saw it a long time ago to find out what all the fuss was about and hated it. It felt pretentious and repetitive. Especially the ending didn't set well with me, so I checked out 'End of Evangelion'... Needless to say that didn't really redeem the show in my eyes.

Scruffynerf
January 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I enjoyed it.

HangukMiguk
January 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I need to finish the series now that I have Netflix. Or watch it on Animeshippuden

I liked what I saw in...2002? Man, how time flies...

arrancaru
January 20th, 2010, 07:02 PM
How often is it that one of the main characters die ? Or even one of the recurring characters that's been following the main party since the beginning ?

Have you seen Cowboy Bebop ? (Sorry for those who haven't, now you know *someone* is going to die...)

If you're talking about redshirts and mooks, yes, of course they die by the shovelful -- that's their purpose.

It's not so rare - see Code Geass.

Mornedhel
January 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM
It's not so rare - see Code Geass.

I'm trying to remember all the characters that die in both Code Geass and Code Geass R2. So far I remember (huge spoilers ahead):

* Lelouche (and, y'know, his death was kind of instrumental to the plan he carried out over two 26 episode-long seasons)
* Shirley (and people were very upset over this)
* Rolo (nobody liked him anyway)
* Euphemia (and nobody expected this)
* Some of the support cast

So, yeah, Code Geass was pretty liberal in the body count. (By comparison, Cowboy Bebop gets two deaths, if you count Julia as a main character. They're powerful moments. Final Fantasy VII gets one. There still is a cult of Aerith fans convinced that there's a way to revive her, for a game that's over ten years old. Casual gamers have told me they cried.)

Still, that's four deaths among the main characters in two seasons of an anime that was several cuts over the norm. Watch enough anime, and you'll realize that usually the cast just keeps growing, more or less fast, as members are added to the main party, until the evil sorcerer is defeated. Then the hero gets his love interest, the hero's best friend opens a bar, and the hero's second best friend (the bookish one) gets an important administrative position so the victory is long-term.

Remember, unless you live in Japan, you're watching anime that a. was selected by a team to sub and b. you heard about through more or less word of mouth or possibly c. was licensed in your country, which even here is not that much. For every one of those there are dozens of factory-produced shows you've never heard about.

this is new york not l.a.
January 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM

well that's actually kind of debatable ;]

Jesus_Valdez
January 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I absolutely loved this series. I have watched it through 8 or 10 times now, gradually it all makes sense, you just have to pick up the clues (and read the Red Book - a big help)

Just finished the second box set of Full Metal Alchemist. Just as good as Evengelion, though a quite different genre. Any recommendations what to see next?
The new Fullmetal Alchemist Series, It's call "Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood".

It's twice as awesome as the first one, kind of a "reboot", this time follows the manga very closely.

NCLI
January 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I personally think that all the things Gainax made are overrated. Evangelion doesn't even try to make sense. I had to google it and it turned out the important stuff is described in the video games. FLCL makes even less sense. Viewing media as solely giant metaphors doesn't do it for me.
You just have to think about it. I know, it's hard.

Anyway, I'm an evageek. To me, Eva is the greatest anime of all time, and I've watched quite a few (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sephiroth_VII) by now. The best thing about it is that even now, in 2010, 15 years after its release, we're still finding out new things about the show. For example, just last year(IIRC) ago, we(I lurked) discovered that Ritsuko was raped before she was interviewed by SEELE, by using very subtle hints in the show, which were incredibly obvious once you'd figured it out. We're also still debating the meaning of some of Kaworu's lines in 24', and, well, a lot. Anyway, it's the only show I can keep watching and analyzing.

JDShu
January 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM
You just have to think about it. I know, it's hard.

Anyway, I'm an evageek. To me, Eva is the greatest anime of all time, and I've watched quite a few (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sephiroth_VII) by now. The best thing about it is that even now, in 2010, 15 years after its release, we're still finding out new things about the show. For example, just last year(IIRC) ago, we(I lurked) discovered that Ritsuko was raped before she was interviewed by SEELE, by using very subtle hints in the show, which were incredibly obvious once you'd figured it out. We're also still debating the meaning of some of Kaworu's lines in 24', and, well, a lot. Anyway, it's the only show I can keep watching and analyzing.

Sounds like what people say about the Matrix trilogy. Both series is full of unexplained concepts and the only way they can make sense is to either view them as metaphors, or make stuff up so that they fit.

dragos240
January 21st, 2010, 05:02 AM
Sounds like what people say about the Matrix trilogy. Both series is full of unexplained concepts and the only way they can make sense is to either view them as metaphors, or make stuff up so that they fit.

Like the matrix, the symbols are backwards hiragana.

rjsec4ever
March 31st, 2010, 03:33 AM
Has anyone thought of making a Shinji/Asuka/Rei wallpaper, holding hands, like the Circle of Friends? Really now. You make an Evangelion discussion on the Ubuntu forums, and you didn't see this?!? :)

Changturkey
March 31st, 2010, 04:25 AM
Just watched the series plus EoE a week ago. Wow. Btw, love your avatar Rjsec.

HPD2
March 31st, 2010, 04:40 AM
Didn't like it, but didn't hate it. Shinji wined way to much, more so at the end, if he had his stuff togeather he could have helped Asuka. I had to lol at the end... every body turned to orange juice. IMO Blue Gender was better.

Knowle
March 31st, 2010, 07:51 AM
I liked Neon Genesis Evangelion. Liked Blue Gender even more.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 31st, 2010, 08:09 AM
Final Fantasy VII gets one. There still is a cult of Aerith fans convinced that there's a way to revive her, for a game that's over ten years old. Casual gamers have told me they cried.)

Lol, that game. I restarted the minute she died because it was my first RPG and I thought I'd done something that got her killed. Speaking of which, I'm listening to the FF7 soundtrack on piano right now. I don't even play video games anymore, but I still like this music.

dragos240
March 31st, 2010, 12:20 PM
Has anyone thought of making a Shinji/Asuka/Rei wallpaper, holding hands, like the Circle of Friends? Really now. You make an Evangelion discussion on the Ubuntu forums, and you didn't see this?!? :)

That's a good idea. However I'm not much of an artist.

AllRadioisDead
March 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Long time no see dragos.
Anyhow, I downloaded the series last night, among other things so I'll be sure to watch most of it on the long weekend!