PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question regarding Wubi vs full installation

gungrog
January 20th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Hi,

I've been enjoying my wubi-installed 9.10 for a while now, and I think it's time to do a 'proper' install, with proper partitions, etc.. :D

Now, all my hardware devices (drives, sound, video, router, webcam, etc.) worked first-time with the wubi install, can I assume that the same will apply with a full install?

I'm worried that ******* may have 'helped' with the wubi/9.10 hardware set-up somehow, and things might not go as smoothly outside of wubi.

I don't know if this is the case or not, but I thought I should ask first!

Cheers.

gabo.cr
January 20th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'm worried that ******* may have 'helped' with the wubi/9.10 hardware set-up somehow,

That is practically impossible.
But I think the installation from CD is better than wubi.
;)

gungrog
January 20th, 2010, 12:23 AM

;)

Yeah, I thought so, but no harm in asking, eh? ;)

Full install coming shortly....

Thanks.

rob22941
January 20th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Quick question along the same lines, I would like to do the same, full install but as a dual boot and when I run my install disc in the demo mode and select the install icon (I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 lts) I get the 3 options guided-resize/guided entire disk/manual I want to keep my Windows partition. Does the guided -resize just do a full install along side my Windows partition which was the primary partition.

It says exactly:
Guided - resize SCS1 (0,0,0), partition #2 (sda) and use freed space. New partition size: /dev/sda2, 30% (207.7) - Ubuntu 8.04.3, 70% (490.8GB)

I'm assuming my Windows partition is the first 30% section and the ubuntu will just use the rest (70%) to create another partition. I don't want to erase my windows partition. Do I have all this correct?

lisati
January 20th, 2010, 01:03 AM
But I think the installation from CD is better than wubi.
;)

It is possible to install using Wubi from the CD. Wubi uses Windows, and it is impossible to use it without Windows.

gabo.cr
January 21st, 2010, 06:40 PM
Quick question along the same lines, I would like to do the same, full install but as a dual boot and when I run my install disc in the demo mode and select the install icon (I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 lts) I get the 3 options guided-resize/guided entire disk/manual I want to keep my Windows partition. Does the guided -resize just do a full install along side my Windows partition which was the primary partition.

It says exactly:
Guided - resize SCS1 (0,0,0), partition #2 (sda) and use freed space. New partition size: /dev/sda2, 30% (207.7) - Ubuntu 8.04.3, 70% (490.8GB)

I'm assuming my Windows partition is the first 30% section and the ubuntu will just use the rest (70%) to create another partition. I don't want to erase my windows partition. Do I have all this correct?

You should make a new thread with that question so more people can help you too.

Does the guided -resize just do a full install along side my Windows partition which was the primary partition.

Yes it will, so after the installation you will see a screen where you can choose the OS to boot.
:)