PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Proposal: Ubuntu Live: Disaster Relief Edition

havocovah
January 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Hi folks:

Haven't seen this idea anywhere, so I thought I'd bring it up for discussion, with the view to creating a project if there is no duplication, and a favorable response.

I'm proposing a simple and robust edition of Ubuntu that could be loaded on cheap USB memory sticks, and/or CD/DVD, designed to be distributed widely to relief and aid workers in a disaster zone, with a view to quickly establish a uniform network using whatever computer resources are available.

Quite often relief workers find themselves offered in place computer resources, and resources that are donated/lent from a wide variety of sources from all around the world. Often these computer resources are lacking in any semblance of uniformity of language, operating system, hardware, and software.

The proposed project would package a simplified version of Ubuntu, together with common applications and browser, a full suite of manuals and information commonly needed by relief workers, and including the ability to securely access VPN or Intranet resources for relief organizations.

The distributed USB stick/CD/DVD would allow relief workers to access vital information using any reasonably modern computer hardware, without needing to worry about hardware or software compatibility. So long as the hardware is capable of booting from an USB memory stick or a CD/DVD, the source of the hardware becomes irrelevant.

A further possible option would be to issue the package on a standardized USB wireless adapter/memory combination, with the wireless preconfigured. This would allow the relief organization to quickly set up a wireless access point in aid stations or offices, and have all relief workers immediately supplied with network access.

I will post my proposed requirements shortly. In the meantime I invite discussion.

audiomick
January 20th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Hi.
I doubt if that is possible in time to help in Haiti, but in the long term I think it is conceivable. It would be necessary to find sponsors, and to win the various help organizations over to using the idea.

havocovah
January 20th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Hi.
I doubt if that is possible in time to help in Haiti, but in the long term I think it is conceivable. It would be necessary to find sponsors, and to win the various help organizations over to using the idea.

Done right is better than done quickly, in this case. Certainly too late to help in Haiti, but there will be many more Haitis, New Orleans, Indonesias, in the years to come.

phrostbyte
January 20th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I don't think Sahana does what he is talking about. It seems like an application framework, not a distro.

havocovah
January 20th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I don't think Sahana does what he is talking about. It seems like an application framework, not a distro.

Hard to say without looking at it.

They do have a livecd and liveusb version.

humphreybc
January 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Sounds good... but you have to ask yourself, would setting up a computer network be high on your priority list after first setting foot in a disaster zone?

Or do you mean months down the track, after food, water, shelter etc are all taken care of?

And also, being able to "access vital information" would probably require an internet connection. I somehow doubt that the internet is working in Haiti at the moment, considering they've got no power. Although I could be wrong.