Copyright (c) 2009 AVG Technologies CZ

user@user-laptop:~$ gksudo avgscan /media/4DC43A7B3FDEBF/Program Files/
AVG command line Anti-Virus scanner

user@user-laptop:~$ gksudo avgscan /media/4DC43A7B3FDEBF/Program Files
AVG command line Anti-Virus scanner
"

Any recommendations on Virus-scanners that are good at scanning NTFS windows installation drives? Any ideas on how to get AVG command line working?

lisati
January 19th, 2010, 10:54 PM
The latest AVG "free" is command-line, so the "gk" version of sudo isn't really necessary.

You need to start the avg daemon first:

sudo avgctl --start
You might then need to reboot. You can then update AVG's definitions as follows:

sudo avgupdate
Then you do your scan:

sudo avgscan [options] {path list}

edit: I see what you mean: I mounted my Vista partition & tried to scan it explicityly, nothing scanned, but when I scanned "/" it picked up the mounted drive...... Hmmmm, interesting.

edit 2: Tried again on my machine, I suspect I made a typo in the volume name of my Vista partition, the scan seems to be working now.

viper250
January 19th, 2010, 11:07 PM
why are you installing avg?
linux is not affected by viruses.
The only linux computer Ive seen affected by a virus was one running a windows program through crossover and then it was only the windows program that was affected

lisati
January 19th, 2010, 11:11 PM
why are you installing avg?
linux is not affected by viruses.
The only linux computer Ive seen affected by a virus was one running a windows program through crossover and then it was only the windows program that was affected

I have it because (a) I run a dual-boot Ubuntu & Windows, it might come in handy for repair work, and (b) my main email provider has a "thou shalt not send malware by email" clause in their terms and conditions...... I rarely use it in Ubuntu because Linux is less susceptible to malware.

spiritofelric
January 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
lisati:
Thank you so much!... you have saved me hours of searching. Cheers! I hope to become familiar with Ubuntu at some point.

viper250:
My vista dual boot drive is impacted with allot of Malware... it's easier to scan it from a stable OS. Though, I hardly use Windows anymore after being on Ubuntu for a couple weeks.