PDA

View Full Version : Limewire - Does it still suck?

NCLI
January 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I remember using it a few ears ago, only to find that there were way too many fake uploads, not to mention spyware. Has it gotten better since then, or is it still bad?

AllRadioisDead
January 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM
It's powerful if you know how to use it, and have the common sense to find the proper files.
Torrents are much more powerful though, but It's never sucked.

dragos240
January 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I remember using it a few ears ago, only to find that there were way too many fake uploads, not to mention spyware. Has it gotten better since then, or is it still bad?

Limewire is a client. A client to the GNUtella network (No, it's not made by the GNU foundation). Frostwire is a client also. It's also faster, Limewire limits your download speed, frostwire doesn't. Frostwire is also free, and provides what Limewire pro provides.

sean_M
January 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Yes it still sucks. Stick with torrents, they are a lot safer. Plus you get to see exactly what your downloading ;)

Kingsley
January 19th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Limewire is a client. A client to the GNUtella network (No, it's not made by the GNU foundation). Frostwire is a client also. It's also faster, Limewire limits your download speed, frostwire doesn't. Frostwire is also free, and provides what Limewire pro provides.
Isn't it possible pirate Limewire Pro with free Limewire? Ah whatever, I haven't used it since middle school.

samh785
January 19th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Isn't it possible pirate Limewire Pro with free Limewire? Ah whatever, I haven't used it since middle school.
Just use frostwire if you're going to go that route, but torrents are far superior IMO.

fromthehill
January 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I remember switching from Kazaa to limewire because it was completely crowded with spyware.
limewire had a lot less viruses (except for the 114KB .exe and .avi files that exactly matched your searching phrase) but it still wasn't very usefull for software.

used it myself for gameboy-advance games, music and for getting dll's that were corrupted on my system (some people accidentally shared their whole pc)

with dial up it was the fastest and easiest way to get those (no slow searching on the internet).
but with the connections now and sites like youtube it is kind of useless

good times :P

pwnst*r
January 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Not paying for music, lol

Uncle Spellbinder
January 20th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Use Limewire and Frostwire in the past. Neither holds a candle to Soulseek (Nicotine+ on Linux).

RiceMonster
January 20th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I can't imagine it ever not sucking.

Hyper Tails
January 20th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Limewire is the crappiest torrent downloader ever!!

get bitcomet
it better than this piece of crap

andrew_D14
January 20th, 2010, 01:24 AM
get Frostwire, its limewire pro but free.

pwnst*r
January 20th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Conversely you can get a job, which in turn produces money, for which you can purchase music legally (in the U.S) from a place like, OMG, Amazon.

Zoot7
January 20th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Not paying for music, lol

Conversely you can get a job, which in turn produces money, for which you can purchase music legally (in the U.S) from a place like, OMG, Amazon.
Shame what you pay goes to a big Media Corporation and not the people who should be getting it - the artists themselves. Thus I see no point in paying for music. I'll go to concerts and buy merchandise, yes, but I won't buy albums as long as there's a greedy capitalist middleman. :)

Anyway, as regards Limewire, I've never used it. For torrents with me it's either uTorrent or Vuze these days.

MasterNetra
January 20th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Limewire is the crappiest torrent downloader ever!!

get bitcomet
it better than this piece of crap

Deluge + TPB all the way. ********* easily beats limewire with getting software. Legal and non. lol Ubuntu Christmas edtion from back in 2006 ftw: http://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/3580625/Ubuntu_Christmas_Edition no seeds though. :/