PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IdahoTech

IdahoTech
January 19th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Hello all,

I am somewhat new to ubuntu, but am a little familiar with linux. My problem I am having is I installed 9.10 onto an older system of mine and all was fine, a little slow but fine. Then the updater came up and said it had a list of updates for my computer. I ran the updates and rebooted. It comes up ok and comes to the login screen. This is where I have the problem.

When I go to log in, it looks like it is logging in and then the screen resolution changes for a few seconds and then goes black and then back to the resolution it was at when it booted up and then the log in screen comes back up.

Has anyone else ran into this or is it just me. I am just wondering what I can do to remedy the problem even if I go ctrl - alt - F3 and try to login there I can but when I try to start the graphical interface with startx I get:

XAuth: Creating new Authority File /home/myself/.Xauthority

Fatal Server Error:

Server is already active for Display 0

If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0lock and start again
Then after that I get this info:

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 (Error no 11):
Unable to connect to X server
Xinit: No such process (ErrNo3):

Any ideas or thoughts? What or how do I find what caused this? I would hate to reload the system and I am trying to learn this on my own with some help of some books, any ideas would help, thanks.