PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE is ok? how to install?

darko.baruh
January 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hi,
I was wondering is KDE ok? Should I have problems with it? And what to select from synaptic package so I can install it? What should I expect?
P.S. I am new on linux and using ubuntu desktop karmic koala 9.10.

Thanks for help.

nmaster
January 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
i've never used it, but here's some helpful info. in general, psychocats is a good resource when starting out.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

darko.baruh
January 19th, 2010, 09:30 PM
But is there option just to install the desktop environment with all effects and stick with the native ubuntu 9.10 applications.I dont want to change sesions and etc.. One login same set of applications just different environment.I was thinking that kde is just a very good improved theme installed on a base (Ubuntu and others) with the os native applications, not with kde applications. Is it possible to use kde without his applications?

JiuJitsu500
January 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM
KDE is a fantastic environment, but depending on how used to GNOME you are, or Xfce, fluxbox, or any other manager/environment, could take geting used to. But, I'm assuming Windows was also a part of most lives so it should seem familiar.

From the Synaptic Package manager, simply look up "kubuntu" as the article mentioned states, and download the "kubuntu desktop." It will install KDE and all her applications. I warn you though, it does clutter your menus with both environments apps, and seperating startup apps between them can be a pain, but is possible. Once oyu have it going though it's very smooth and incredibly sexy.... Mint Linux (based on ubuntu), Kubuntu, and a number of others use KDE as their desktop. Compiz also works great, but I personally like Kwin.

I prefer Gnome because I'm used to it, and the KDM (K display manager) doesn't interfere with your GDM (gnome DM) at boot I don't think, but XDM did for me (Xfce). So if you have a custom splash screen, you're alright.

Enjoy KDE! She is a beauty!

SuperSonic4
January 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
But is there option just to install the desktop environment with all effects and stick with the native ubuntu 9.10 applications.I dont want to change sesions and etc.. One login same set of applications just different environment.I was thinking that kde is just a very good improved theme installed on a base (Ubuntu and others) with the os native applications, not with kde applications. Is it possible to use kde without his applications?

Not all of them but you can get rid of most of them by install something along the lines of kde-core, kde-minimal, kde etc

Dolphin pisses all over nautilus FYI

JiuJitsu500
January 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Oh, as for just native applications, not through the managers.... I believe you'd have to remove them after installing the envoronment..... but I'm not a super-advanced user either. but you can do the core stuff, but I don't know exactly what packages that includes.

Other than menu clutter, both of these are very, very nice for full-featured desktops.

EDIT: Super Sonic dude for sure has it right, Dolphin WAY stomps nautilus.