PDA

View Full Version : [other] Movie player with library (akin music players)

Bramkaandorp
January 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
After scouring the internet for a movie player with a library function, I guess this will be my last stand.

I am of the firm belief that any time spent in the file browser to find a file to watch (movies, music, possibly images) is time spent ineffectively. I would rather use the file browser to move files and/or rename them, not for the simple task of finding a film I want to see.

Since Rhythmbox, Banshee and Songbird have a library function, making it easier to play files immediately, with the added bonus of synchronisation, I wondered why I couldn't find any movie players with such a function.

Has anyone got suggestions?

Cheers,

Bram

nothingspecial
January 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Banshee does it with videos too.

Bramkaandorp
January 20th, 2010, 10:48 PM
And, of all types of people, I happen to be one who doesn't like mono. Not for the obvious reason (Microsoft) but because of efficiency (or lack thereof). It is bulky and CPU slurping, which are not attractive in a computer program, even if your computer can run it. You wouldn't see me hanging a painting which I don't like in my room just because it fits the carpet.

Furthermore, I have had several problems with using Banshee which I have not seen repaired (naming them now would not solve them, so I will refrain).

If only Rhythmbox would feature video support out-of-the-box, then I would have less to worry about. (and I know of the add-on, but I want something which is easy and reliable)

Cheers,

Bram

nothingspecial
January 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
And, of all types of people, I happen to be one who doesn't like mono. Not for the obvious reason (Microsoft) but because of efficiency (or lack thereof). It is bulky and CPU slurping, which are not attractive in a computer program, even if your computer can run it. You wouldn't see me hanging a painting which I don't like in my room just because it fits the carpet.

Furthermore, I have had several problems with using Banshee which I have not seen repaired (naming them now would not solve them, so I will refrain).

If only Rhythmbox would feature video support out-of-the-box, then I would have less to worry about. (and I know of the add-on, but I want something which is easy and reliable)

Cheers,

Bram

I don`t run a gui (except for firefox) because of efficency - or lack thereof, they are bulky and CPU slurping, which are not attractive in a computer program, even if your computer can run it.

I run X and openbox and if I want to view a video mplayer /path/to/video

You mentioned Banshee in your original post, I assumed it was not a problem.

I have no more help for you on this subject.

Bramkaandorp
January 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM
No problem. I am already glad somebody took the effort of responding.

As for GUI's: even though they use much cpu (in comparison to command line), but at least you can make a GUI more efficient given enough time. Mono has its limits.

Cheers

nothingspecial
January 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
This is how I do it, if you`re interested,

I have a broken acer aspire one netbook (I opened the cupboard and a big jar of coffee fell on the screen) that I have hooked up to my old monitor in my bedroom.

I ssh into my server, which contains all my videos, and watch from there.

ssh username@ip

mplayer movie

it works well.

Bramkaandorp
January 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Sounds interesting (no sarcasm intended, it really does sound interesting).

However, This is what I have against using the CLI all the time. I want to use the CLI for maintenance, not for daily use. I am not type-shy, but if I can use the mouse, I won't hesitate.

Cheers

Bramkaandorp
February 16th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Bump