PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu netbook remix install help

rhyz
January 19th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hi i am currently running ubuntu 9.04 gnome and would like to switch to netbook remix

before i do i just need to check my hardware will work:

512mb ram
sis 650 vga graphics :(
1.4ghz intel pentium 4 processor

is this ok to install and would any graphics run ok or could i switch them off so it would run smooth.

is there a way to upgrade to 9.10 and netbook remix

can i order a free ubuntu netbook remix cd?

i am using a laptop not a netbook :) i want netbook remix as it looks :o and is very clean and simple and would be a really nice change from the boring gnome theme no offence.

finally can you turn it off just if you need to use a normal gnome desktop.

thanks in advance :)

darkod
January 19th, 2010, 06:13 PM
As far as I know, you can not turn it off. I think that was the difference introduced with 9.10. The menu will always look like that.
Because of that reason I actually installed desktop 32bit over UNR, I didn't like the menu to look always like that.
If you have cd/dvd drive on your laptop the easiest is to download an image of UNR 9.10, burn the image on a cd and use the Try Ubuntu option to see how it will work on your laptop and how you like it.
You can get the image here (among other images):
http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/

rhyz
January 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for reply.

I do like the menu and wont mind using it all the time but sometimes if i need to fix something or am programing it might be easier to switch to the desktop but i can get around it.

I would download it as we don't have a limit but our connection to the Internet is 2.3mbps but i only ever get about 120kbps if im lucky when downloading so it takes ages and we have a poor connection which disconnects every now and then. So really i need to order one.