PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] /etc/security/access.conf not honored

itmozart
January 19th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've setup the access rules (actually only one) in /etc/security/access.conf, adding:

- : ALL EXCEPT user1 user2 : ALL

in /etc/pam.d/login, I added the line:

account required pam_access.so

which works on the servers, except one, where user3, which has the ssh keys properly set, can login, even if he shouldn't.

I read around that there's nothing to restart, so how is it possible?

thanks!
saverio

OurToaster
September 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hi,

I also had a problem with access.conf and netgroups via LDAP. Even if my problem was not related to ssh keys, I suppose people will land here, if they google for it (as I did).
In my case it was a stupid mistake. Perhaps someone is facing the same thing so here is my description:

(running Ubuntu 10.4)
in /etc/pam.d/login and in /etc/pam.d/sshd I uncommented the line
account required pam_access.so
and also put "debug" behind this line. This pointed me to the right solution. The line then looked like this:

account required pam_access.so debugin /etc/security/access.conf I had the following lines:

+ : testuser : ALL
+ : @test_netgroup : ALL
- : ALL : ALLSo that only testuser and members of the test_netgroup could login. This worked for users not mentioned within any netgroup. For local users it worked perfectly.

getent netgroup test_netgroup also returned the correct values.

In LDAP the entry for nisNetgroupTriple looked like this:
(-,netgroupUser,-) like we had the entry before in the yp netgroup file.

Following the log in /var/log/auth.log I could (now with debug enabled) see, that pam obtained the correct netgroup entry from the ldap but compared it to
(,netgroupUser,). Mind the missing dashes! This was the problem. On another client I still had the old nisdomain name set in /etc/defaultdomain so that this was honored and the match failed.

The debug option turned on in /etc/pam.d/login and sshd is very useful. I was not able to find something on the web for this, which is reasonable, as it is just a stupid mistake but with big consequences :-)