PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Installation/network problems

dawiba
January 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I just got my new computer and tried to install the 64 bit version of Ubuntu Studio 9.10, however it wouldn't detect the network (connect to the internet), so I aborted the installation. I aborted because I had read about others having problems where the lack of internet (network) caused problems with installation and operation of Studio. I had already tried the (32 bit) regular Ubuntu live cd and that worked fine, including finding my network. Unfortunately, the 64 bit regular Ubuntu live cd was a disaster and wouldn't run well at all, hence my hesitation to carry on with the 64 bit Studio installation.

32 bit Ubuntu Studio 9.10 installed on the my laptop and found the network no problem, but I'm keen to use the 64 bit version now (because I can :)) on this desktop.

Any advice?

AutoStatic
January 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Install plain Ubuntu 9.10 64bit and then install the Ubuntu Studio packages you need on top of that.

dawiba
January 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately, the 64 bit regular Ubuntu live cd was a disaster and wouldn't run well at all

I'm not keen given the above. I'll try another live cd later on.

AutoStatic
January 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Ah sorry, that didn't catch my attention.
You could try the alternate CD, no GUI installation though. What went wrong with installing from the regular CD?

dawiba
January 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
What went wrong with installing from the regular CD?

The computer ran very slowly, there was an icon in the top taskbar that looked like a small explosion and when I clicked on it I got a message which said something like 'The kernel has encountered a serious problem. Your system may become unusable'. Something like that, I don't remember exactly and I haven't tried for a couple of days. I'm going to have another look over the weekend.

Most Modems are what as known as "Winmodems" - and as such, corners are cut when the device drivers are written, and thus very unlikely to work with Linux, I gave up and bought a netgear ADSL modem router, which works fine.

I run through a router connected in turn to broadband. No modem. Connection is normally fine using Ubuntu Studio on laptop and Windows on the desktop, just not when trying to install Ubuntu Studio on the desktop.

AutoStatic
January 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
So you managed to install it? Or did the icon appear during the installation? Or when running the LiveCD?
And the message from jifflic is spam if you ask me.

dawiba
January 23rd, 2010, 10:01 PM
So you managed to install it? Or did the icon appear during the installation? Or when running the LiveCD?

It happened when running the live cd of Regular Ubuntu.