PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with .NET Upgrade & MS Office installation

rawfool
January 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hi, I'm running only Ubuntu 8.10 on my Dell Inspiron 1420. I've installed Wine and also configured it. I wanted to install MS Office but the installation needs .NET which I'm unable to install online (I don't know why the installation gets aborted everytime). Are there any offline updates for doing this. Or is there any better alternative for MS Word other than Open Office and Abi Word. I need to edit my resume which is created using rich text editing using MS Word but not able to get good alignment properties in Open office or Abi Word.
Plzz help me with this.
Thanks.

.nedberg
January 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I don't think MS Office will run in Wine.

I see three solutions:

1. Convert your resume into something OpenOffice can read (either manually or automatic)
2. Install Windows in a virtual machine (or dual boot) and use MS Office there
3. Use a friends computer with MS Office on it

I would go for 1. It is a bit of work, but should not take to much time. You should be able to get the text from the old file, just add the formating and save as .odt. Or if you know someone with MS Office, use their computer to convert the file into .doc or preferably .odt (MS Office will write .odt with a plug in from Sun).

rawfool
January 19th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Is Latex a solution for this ?? Are there any readymade online/offline Latex editors/tools for creating pdf files.