PDA

View Full Version : Install new icons under Gnome

mirtux
February 3rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Hi,
i'm trying to install new sets of icons under Gnome (Warty). However they didn't appear under the "icons" windows in gnome theme manager. I've tried this with some sets of icons, d3a, exquisite etc. but the problem is the same.

Thanks in advance,
MC

ctt1wbw
February 3rd, 2005, 10:33 AM
This way works for me:

Click on Theme Preferrences, and then Theme Details. Click on Go To Theme Folder. Now click and drag the new uncompressed icon folder into the theme folder and they should show up. :)

mirtux
February 3rd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Hi,
thanks, i've resolved it.. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif . The problem was related to the fact that the procedure created the files in .theme while the theme manager searches the icons files in .icons ----> i've created a symbolic link of the directory where icons are located in .icons directory!

Thanks,
MC

gabbman
February 12th, 2005, 04:00 PM
This way works for me:

Click on Theme Preferrences, and then Theme Details. Click on Go To Theme Folder. Now click and drag the new uncompressed icon folder into the theme folder and they should show up. :)
I've done that and not all the icons change. None of the toolbar or menu icons, only in running apps.

Gary Powers
February 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I'm having a problem finding the locations of .themes and .icons under the file structure. Would someone be so kind as to aim in the right direction? Thanks.

Gary

gabbman
February 13th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I'm having a problem finding the locations of .themes and .icons under the file structure. Would someone be so kind as to aim in the right direction? Thanks.

Gary

You'll find them in your /home/(yourname) directory, If your using nautilus, check the view, show hidden files box.

Now to get the icons to work univerally on the desktop, I had to Move all the files in ~/.icons to ~/.themes
-delete the empty folder ~/.icons
-make a symbolic link from ~/.icons to ~/.themes with
$ ln -s .themes/ .icons

Now all Icon themes work for me.

Gary Powers
February 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks ..... I will give it try.

Gary

piedamaro
February 13th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Mmh, it seems a bad mix to me. But if it works...
The point is that "toolbar icons" etc., as you called them, are defined in gtk themes (~/.themes folder), while desktop icons thems are under ~/.icons

bvc
February 13th, 2005, 06:05 PM
that's always been irritating to me. A handful of stock-icons work from an icon theme and the rest have to be done from the gtk theme :roll:

Is it really that hard to fix? 3+ years now (or so) they've been broken! :x

Gary Powers
February 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Gabbman:

Found 'em and thanks. I had forgotten about the hidden files. I can probably figure out how to get what I want by playing around with them.

Gary

piedamaro
February 14th, 2005, 03:56 AM
that's always been irritating to me. A handful of stock-icons work from an icon theme and the rest have to be done from the gtk theme :roll:

Is it really that hard to fix? 3+ years now (or so) they've been broken!
I have to agree, and btw nice themes bvc! Actually I use "edge" :)

I remember it was a 'feature' added ad hoc to make icon themes and gtk feel more integrated, when at that time, toolbar icons were part of 'nautilus-icon-theme'. Thus they made icon-themes (which control mime-types icons), and gtk-themes which control "application icons" .
So we need a regression...I suppose :D

kh4nh
February 22nd, 2005, 04:50 AM
Hey Gabbman, is there any diffrerent between "ln -s .themes/ .icons" and "ln -s .themes .icons" - thanks