PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a new Ubuntu convert

Phosphorror
January 19th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Greetings all,

I am Phosphorror, and I am a recent Ubuntu convert. Currently using it on an Advent 4213 Notebook as dual boot install (had issues getting it to work on my main PC because of the dreaded RAID hard disc configuration).

Not too sure if I have posted in the right place as I didn't initially see a 'Hello' section as such. Naturally, admins can you please move to the correct areaif this is the case.

A close friend of mine Nightstrike who is on here has brought me here, and has introduced me into this very interesting alternate to running the "W" word on the PC! ;)

k64
January 19th, 2010, 12:59 AM
This *IS*the right place. The Community Cafe is for general topics not relating to technical issues.

As for the Ubuntu conversion, welcome. It pleases me, as a Linux zealot, to see you on board. And may I ask: Which Ubuntu version are you using?

jayze
January 19th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Hiya!........;)

dragos240
January 19th, 2010, 01:04 AM
'Ello!

MasterNetra
January 19th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Welcome!

Skatertjah
January 19th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Wasup? ;)

Phosphorror
January 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM
As for the Ubuntu conversion, welcome. It pleases me, as a Linux zealot, to see you on board. And may I ask: Which Ubuntu version are you using?

I am currently running 9.04 on the Notebook. I have avoided 9.10 because of the problems I have heard with 3g modems.

Basically, I am fully aware that there are alternatives, and I have done all that I need to do with Windows. I'm not a big fan or Mr Gates or Mr Jobs, and hold a passionate hatred for the iPhone and the iPod. For example, my media player of choice is the Archos 5 will all the full codecs. A far superior item to the Apple iPod variants in my humble opinion.

I originally started back in the day with 8bit machines such as the Sinclair Spectrum and Commodore 64, eventually moving to the Commodore Amiga A1200. It was a sad day when they went bust, as I was quite an Amiga fan. And, Linux reminds me very much of the Workbench o/s in how it is structure and layout.

I have also been experimenting with Terminal, which brings back fond memories of programming in BASIC back in the day. A good friend of mine was showing me 'sudo apt-get install program' etc, and I was very impressed. And also showed me screen grabs of Virtual Box running Windows XP within it.

Amazing, and great stuff. :D

sliketymo
January 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Welcome.

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/

inobe
January 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Greetings all,

I am Phosphorror, and I am a recent Ubuntu convert. Currently using it on an Advent 4213 Notebook as dual boot install (had issues getting it to work on my main PC because of the dreaded RAID hard disc configuration).

the alternative text base installer cd has raid tools.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

choose a mirror

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#mirrors

the raid tools aren't on the live cd because their is no space to accommodate these raid tools.

configure the raid bios and run the cd, your array should be detected.

if you plan on dual booting with windows' you may run into technical issues with it, if that's the case' leave well enough alone.

welcome to the forums.

davec64
January 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Nice to hear from you!
Another Amiga fan, yippee!!

Swagman
January 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Ayoop Chook. Welcome t' forums.
I can vouch for virtualbox as well although you will need a copy of win for it (It installs a FULL windows installation inside it) it works pretty damn good having the advantage over dual boot in that you don't have to reboot your machine to use it.

Any road... Former Amigan huh ?

You might like THIS announcement (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1373008&highlight=Swagman)

Phosphorror
January 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
inobe:
Cheers for the tip regarding raid, I shall try that out. :-)

Davec64, Swagman:
It was a sad day when Commodore went bust. I don't know about you guys but I would like to think there is a parralel universe out there where Commodore is king and suceeded, and Microsoft went bust instead. Imagine how scarily powerful an Amiga would be, on the basis of that they were untouchable on the graphics front for many years versus a PC? :o

Alas, I remember the days of using my Amiga fondly. Regretfully, there would hardly be a market to restart a format that died some 15years ago. RIP. :(

Tristam Green
January 19th, 2010, 04:12 PM
zealot

Admission's the first step to recovery.

Hello, phosphorror. Enjoy using Ubuntu and Linux in general. I do from time to time ;-)

helliewm
January 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Just to hi and welcome pleased see another UK user

Nightstrike2009
May 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Greetings friend,

Took you a while but you got here in the end, I am a former "Amiga survivor" too funny how so many of us use Linux these days, probably because M$ (and bad marketing) killed our Amigas off.

Hope you enjoy your stay :-)

Shpongle
May 8th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Nice to have you onboard =)

blueturtl
May 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Welcome to the cult.

kaldor
May 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
What was so amazing about Amiga?

Oh, and if you miss Amiga...

http://web.syllable.org/pages/index.html
Syllable was originally an AmigaOS clone, but took another path.

http://aros.sourceforge.net/
AROS is an Amiga clone.

Nightstrike2009
May 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM
By Kaldor: What was so amazing about Amiga?

Basically It gave M$ some competition before Linux arrived and did a better job. :-)

1)The Amiga A1200 is a brilliant machine for running Ubuntu on at Low-Cost.

2)The AGA GFX Chipset is still to complex to emulate these days,we fought well against M$ back in the day (Even modded our machines with PC hardware and RAM),but we lost in the end.

These days are Linux & Ubuntu's and we will beat M$ eventually (I Hope) Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is amazing, I am considering losing my dual-boot set up and going Ubuntu only now too. :-)

PS: Ive heard of AROS and Workbench 4, but as I say I am sold on Ubuntu now, I've given up fighting a lost (but still worthy cause).