PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] entire hard drive encryption W/ preboot authentication

shadow120
January 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM
looking for a program that will let me encrypt everything so that you need preboot authentication like you can do with truecrypt in windows thanks

michaelzap
January 18th, 2010, 11:47 PM
looking for a program that will let me encrypt everything so that you need preboot authentication like you can do with truecrypt in windows thanks

The easiest way is to use LUKS encryption, which you can choose when you install Ubuntu if you use the alternate (not Live) CD. It's considerably more difficult to setup after installation. I prefer LUKS to using encrypted home directories for single-user systems, but each method has its advantages and disadvantages.

adam814
January 19th, 2010, 04:46 AM
If you're familiar with and like TrueCrypt it is available for Linux as well. I haven't actually used it for whole disk/partition encryption, but I have for files and it works for that.

LUKS is definitely the more standard/integrated Ubuntu way to encrypt, but I'll agree it's not the easiest thing to set up post-install.

shadow120
January 19th, 2010, 05:18 AM
the TrueCrypt for linux cant encrypt the entire hard drive just the home folder because it dosent have the preboot authentication

bodhi.zazen
January 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM
the TrueCrypt for linux cant encrypt the entire hard drive just the home folder because it dosent have the preboot authentication

Your question was answered in the second post of this thread by michaelzap.

The easiest way is to use LUKS encryption, which you can choose when you install Ubuntu if you use the alternate (not Live) CD. It's considerably more difficult to setup after installation. I prefer LUKS to using encrypted home directories for single-user systems, but each method has its advantages and disadvantages.

If you need instructions, see this link :

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Encrypted-Ubuntu-8-04-85271.shtml

yes it is written for 8.04 but it is the same with 8.10 , 9.04, and 9.10

=)