PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make a installation from a ghost

MartinFrog
January 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hi There.
I am running Ubunto 9.10 from an external 20GB USB mounted disk on my HP6220 laptop.

I have now installed a lager internal harddisk (from 60GB to 320GB). At the same time, I have expanded the WinXP partition from 60GB to 80GB.

Then I have made a second primary partition on 20GB - and installed a ghost (using Clonezilla) from the 20GB external Ubunto disk.

The Last 210 GB is for data files.

The Question is:
Can I make my 20GB partition bootable - either by Ubunto's dual bootmanager function, og by an external bootmanager?

Or: If I have to install all-over Ubunto from my CD - how do I make sure that it will have the 20GB partition as target, and not destroying my WinXP. - An how do I make it Dualboot?

The reason I want to use the ghost from my external disk is, that I fixed som problems with the GRUB interface, and loudspeakers - problems related to my laptop hardware. If I could - I would like to awoid making theese changes all over again.

best regards

MartinFrog
Btw: After my to fixes (solutions found on this forum) my Ubunto 9.10 runs great from my external USB disk on my HP NC6220.

MartinFrog
January 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hello out there.
I there anyone, who can help me out here?
As I hopefully made clear in my question is, how to make a 20GB Ubunto partition bootable.

The first partition on the 320GB disk is af Primary Windowx XP partition on 80GB
The second partition is a primary partition containing af "ghost/image" of my external 20GB Ubunto drive.

the third partition is for data purpose.

I want do make my PC able to dualboot either into Windows (on the first partition) or Ubunto on the second partition.

Can I do that?
- or do I have to install Ubunto all over from the CD. And if so: how do I make sure, that the target will be the second partition, and not the first partition?

I hope somebody can help me.

regards

Martin