PDA

View Full Version : Taxes on Linux? Have anyone done that?

Kdar
January 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Soon will be time to do taxes. At least for those in USA.

Have anyone done them under Linux?

Before I always used to do it in Linux, but since I am using only Linux now, I am wondering if anyone done it before, and using what? Only turboTax or you used something else?

kseise
January 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I use the Turbotax web version. It says that it doesn't like my browser/OS combination, but gives me the option to try anyway. It works just fine. I haven't tried the desktop software, but you might want to check WINE to see if anyone has it working. Check out http://appdb.winehq.org/.

If it works, post back and mark this thread solved.

Mahngiel
January 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I have use Turbo Tax since I was 15. I recently started putting my things together as I've been receiving them, and the intuit website works just peachy with Karmic + Firefox 3.5

Kdar
January 18th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Have anyone use TaxAct?

Fire_Chief
January 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Used TaxSlayer site last year on Intrepid and Firefox with zero issues. Will definitely use it again this year.

yester64
January 18th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Have anyone use TaxAct?

Yes, me. But that was under Windows.
This year i have to go online. :(

HermanAB
January 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Every year, I use VMware with WinXP to do my taxes.
:(

Kdar
January 18th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, me. But that was under Windows.
This year i have to go online. :(

They pretty good?

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 19th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I contacted Intuit Turbotax through their support chat a year or two ago. I asked about Linux support. They said that they had no plans to support Linux; however, suggested I try running it with WINE. They couldn't guarantee the results of using WINE. I was rather surprised the support person even knew about WINE.

I didn't try WINE. I had Vista running with Virtualbox at the time. I don't like running Vista in Virtualbox though. My CPU temperature goes from 43 - 46 deg C with no Vista to 63 - 67 deg C with Vista in Virtualbox. I think my computer shuts down automatically at 80 deg C.

k64
January 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I have use Turbo Tax since I was 15. I recently started putting my things together as I've been receiving them, and the intuit website works just peachy with Karmic + Firefox 3.5

And why would a 15-year-old have to do taxes, especially those that TurboTax is designed for?

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 19th, 2010, 01:46 AM
And why would a 15-year-old have to do taxes, especially those that TurboTax is designed for?

Some people use the Turbotax online version because they can file electronically and get their refund sooner. If they are not making enough income to pay taxes; then, they probably expect to receive a refund. If a 15 year old only make $100 USD a month, that can be a $180 USD refund.

k64
January 19th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Some people use the Turbotax online version because they can file electronically and get their refund sooner. If they are not making enough income to pay taxes; then, they probably expect to receive a refund. If a 15 year old only make $100 USD a month, that can be a $180 USD refund.

That's beside the point: What teenager is going to need to pay taxes at such an early age? It's completely unnecessary!

oldsoundguy
January 19th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Intuit is just the tip of the iceberg of the future of the web and of computing.

It is CLOUD computing! Software on the site. Totally platform independent. All you need is a BROWSER!

Adobe is another that is offering Cloud computing.

Right now it is FREE .. but eventually there will be a "per minute" or "per instance" charge and you will have to "join" a "Cloud Service". AND pay for ON LINE storage.

Currently it is "carrot dangling" to stimulate and get a core client base started.

As to filing at 15 .. I started filing when I was 12 as I wanted to get taxes withheld BACK. (yes, I earned sufficiently at times to wind up getting taxes withheld, but not enough over a year to PAY taxes.)

schauerlich
January 19th, 2010, 02:01 AM
That's beside the point: What teenager is going to need to pay taxes at such an early age? It's completely unnecessary!

I think the federal government would disagree with you there.

toupeiro
January 19th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Turbo-tax online here. Several years running. No issues to speak of so far.

mechro
January 19th, 2010, 02:02 AM
The interblurt is run by 15 year olds. I hope they are paying taxes. ;)

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 19th, 2010, 02:08 AM

The 15 year old's employer may be withholding money for taxes even though the 15 year old probably will not have to pay any taxes. If you make less than a certain amount you do not have to file a return; however, if your employer has been withholding money for taxes I am sure you will want it back. I can understand why someone may want nearly 2 month of their post tax income as a refund as soon as possible. I am only talking about Federal Tax. State Tax rules are different from state to state; although, I don't think Florida has a State income Tax.

Paqman
January 19th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I hear a lot of talk about "doing taxes" from your Americans. Is it something everybody has to do in the US? Or is it just if you're self-employed or own a business?

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 19th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I hear a lot of talk about "doing taxes" from your Americans. Is it something everybody has to do in the US? Or is it just if you're self-employed or own a business?

There is an individual income tax in the US. Basically, most everyone has to fill out a income tax return. There are some exceptions for children, where the parent includes the child's income on their tax return if the child meets certain criteria. The rules are complicated. A parent can file the child's income as their own if the child is under a certain age or if they are a full time student under a certain age or if the child's income does not come from investments, and so on. If a parent includes the child's income on their tax return as part of their own; then, the child will not get a refund. The Parent may choose to give the child part of their tax refund if they get one. If an individual does not make more than a certain income the individual does not have to file a tax return; however, the employer may have been taking out money to pay any potential taxes. In that case, the individual will want to file a tax return to get that money back.

Benchrest
January 19th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I've used turbo tax and Tax cut for a number of years. But this year I'm making the cut away from Windows. I don't like the idea of doing turbo tax online as I have no control over my data.
Sooo, I am trying to put together a spreadsheet like I did in the DOS days of the 80's. I have my previous years forms as a guide. It's a pain to do it for one year, but in subsequent years there are usually few changes year to year. My state provides online free electronic filing for those who do the paper version. Anyhow after doing the spread sheet I will also have to copy the results to paper. Will see. I may end up buying turbotax. But taxes and my scanner are about the only windows applications I have left.

toupeiro
January 19th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I don't like the idea of doing turbo tax online as I have no control over my data.

ummmm, elaborate? I bet I can do everything you can do on paper or software, and as a part of the service, they are legally required to retain my copies for 7 years. Which means, when you lose your paper copies or forget to backup your electronic copies you don't have to worry about redoing them all and all my data stays consistent and in one place no mater what my computer or OS will be 7 years from now.

Do you mean you don't like intuit having your tax information? Guess what, if you efile through them even with the standalone versions, they have it anyway. If you've ever worked in the public sector, your tax information is public domain.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/best-tax-software/why-choose-turbotax/#go_ad_secure

I trust that method more than a flat spreadsheet file sitting in my documents folder or in an application likely using some proprietary format I couldn't export if the app tanked.

Benchrest
January 19th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I've never efiled although I may do that with my state this year through the state system and they do have my info anyway. My state (kansas) is talking about charging people $25 to file by paper. No, I'm more concerned about hackers getting into the turbotax system. I'm not big on cloud computing where you use online applications rather than your own. Guess that shows my age. I don't use gmail either ;), If my data gets lost its my fault, not somebody elses.

toupeiro
January 19th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I've never efiled although I may do that with my state this year through the state system and they do have my info anyway. My state (kansas) is talking about charging people $25 to file by paper. No, I'm more concerned about hackers getting into the turbotax system. I'm not big on cloud computing where you use online applications rather than your own. Guess that shows my age. I don't use gmail either ;), If my data gets lost its my fault, not somebody elses.

Turbotax online != cloud. There are real servers, with real backups, some with hot co-locations. Financial institutions have not blessed clouds for financial data, and probably never will. Having worked in IT for a bank, Intuit was a partner of ours, and I know they are very reputable. You're entitled to your opionion, however, I know myself as pretty data paranoid. Paranoid enough to do the research very well before I make a decision. I feel very comfortable using it. To each their own. I know what financial institutions invest in network security, and its more than I invest in network security in my home. :-D

Benchrest
January 19th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I'm glad your comfortable with your plans. I worked for a major computer company for 30 years and then worked for 5 years in disaster recovery and computer security prior to retirement. Your right, mostly they do very well. You can probably guess I prefer doing my own home repairs also. To each there own.

Paqman
January 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM
There is an individual income tax in the US. Basically, most everyone has to fill out a income tax return.

Why's that? What do you actually claim for? Or does the government just not get their sums right in the first place?

lisati
January 19th, 2010, 08:27 AM
A number of people I've met in the last 17 years or so here in NZ only seem to bother with a tax return because of what they can claim back for donating to their church.

There was a time about ten years ago when many of them were bamboozled by filling out the form, so some came my way to get help with it. It wasn't too hard to throw together a program which asked for the details of their earnings, donations, and a couple of other relevant details, and then produce a printout which showed what to put where on the form.

Thankfully the system has changed over the years, with many of the details of earnings being filed electronically, making the forms these days a lot easier. (In the interests of brevity, a comparison of the "old" and the current way of doing it was deleted before posting.)

Benchrest
January 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I just downloaded TAXACT (free) http://www.taxact.com/tax-preparation/free-tax-software.asp and installed it under Wine on my 64 bit 9.04 system. It starts kind of ragged, Leaves a blank window with buttons at the top. Pressing forms displays the 1040 with name highlighted to fill in. Don't have all my info yet to do my taxes, but may try this and keep my spread sheet in reserve. If it doesn't work here I will try it on my 32 bit machine. It meets my criteria of running on my machine and its free. But does it work?