PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading without the loss of softwares

AmirM
January 18th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hi,
I'm new to Ubuntu(about 6 months)and I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty.
I want to install Ubuntu 9.10 from the cd but I dont want softwares that I installed to be lost.what should I do?
(It's the matter of time,internet speed and internet traffic limits)

phillw
January 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Whilst we normally say to do a clean install, if you're stuck for either speed or data allowance, you may be better doing an upgrade to 9.10.

I did this method and it worked okay for me. As with any installation - do take a backup of anything important.

To upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '9.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
Once that is running happily, I recommend upgrading to Grub2, that can be done here --> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Upgrading%20to%20GRUB%202

My how to on upgrading from ext3 --> ext4 has gone walk about, It's not a critical upgrade - If you keep an eye on my signature, it should be coming back soon.

/edit - I put it back on manually --> http://www.vpolink.com/threads/573-Upgrade-ext3-ext4?p=684

Regards,

Phill.

AmirM
January 19th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks phillw,but due to my internet data allowance and speed it takes about 6 hours and costs me about 700MBs to download that...
Any ideas?

====
Is there any "thanks" button or something here?

yogesh.girikumar
January 19th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hi,

It is usually very difficult to just upgrade an installation from the CD since it might lead to package compatibility issues and version conflicts. You can update some packages from the CD. But upgrading the OS using the CD is not possible. You can do a clean install or you can simply update some packages whose new versions are available on the disk. This DOES NOT upgrade your system to Karmic. Your system still stays Jaunty. But it gets updated ( not Upgraded )

Boot into your system
Pop in the CD
If you get a prompt, click on "Open Package manager".
Click on "Mark All Updates" and Click "Apply".
Give the password if prompted.

This will install any updates that are present in the disk. But it will not upgrade your system to Karmic
--
Yogesh Girikumar

AmirM
January 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM
So...the answer is NO.
OK,thanks.