PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No window borders/controls upon restart

Lord Stig
January 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Hi. I'm using XFCE and have problems with Compiz or Emerald which involve bizarre screen corruption at random but frequent intervals on parts of the screen. The corruption appears either as lines or as large letters or numbers appearing on the offending area. My solution at first was to roll up and then roll down the window, but now I've decided to just disable Compiz altogether.
I actually have Mint 7 XFCE and am going to post there but hope it's ok to post here as well to increase the likelihood of resolving this (I understand Mint 7 is Jaunty underneath). Apologies if this is bad form.

I have disabled Compiz by going to XFCE Display Settings at the bottom of the System menu. There are two options: one to disable now (no problem, it reverts to the XFCE window borders), the other to disable Compiz at login.

In-built video is Intel 82855 GME. I haven't installed any other video drivers - it's as it came when I installed Mint.

I've chosen to disable Compiz at login, so I don't have to switch every time I log in, but this results in me having no window outlines at all. No borders, no minimise, maximise, roll up/down, close etc. and obviously can't move or resize the windows.

1) How can I tell the OS to use the XFCE window borders on startup? (I suspect it is leaving it to Emerald, which presumably is disabled as part of disabling Compiz).

2) If I uninstalled Compiz and Emerald would I mess stuff up?

3) Can the bizarre display problem with Compiz be solved

4) Thanks for reading this.

XubuRoxMySox
January 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I fixed a similar problem in a Crunchbang/Xfce experiment by completely removing Compiz (not just uninstall, but completely remove, using Synaptic). I can't say how it will work in Mint Xfce, but since both are Ubuntu-based, it might. And you can always re-install it if it doesn't work.

-Robin

Lord Stig
January 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Ok, thanks for replying. Did a complete uninstall of all the Compiz elements listed in Synaptic.
I still have the same problem when I start Mint, though - no windows borders at all. I left the Mint tweak that allows you to turn on/off Compiz (the one in my first post) and trying to turn it on reinstated those window borders. But how can I get them to just appear on login, like they should?

Can anyone help with this?

Lord Stig
January 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Anybody? :-(

Lord Stig
January 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
After doing a bit of research I will add a button to my bottom panel that runs the command "xfwm4". Hopefully this will reinstate the window borders.

I'll post back if this work to help anyone else who encounters a similar problem.

Still open to suggestions from anyone on this (particularly if I find my idea doesn't work).

Lord Stig
January 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Yep, that works: usr/bin/xfwm4
Made it run automatically at startup by adding it in Settings, Session & Startup