PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and computers...

cartisdm
January 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM
So last night my friend and I decided to have a chill night in at the house. We ordered a pizza and were just messing around on a couple of new desktop computers that fell into our hands (someone gave them away thinking they were "broken"). He wanted to use one as a linux server and set the other one up to give to our roommate.

Somewhere along the way we (mostly me) started drinking. Then some more friends came over....and more drinking occurred. One thing led to another and next thing I know, I woke up this morning and my HP netbook (which previously had a Mac OS X & Mint 8 dual boot), had been completely formatted and a fresh install of Karmic 8-[

Good thing I had all my important information backed up using Dropbox and most (not all) the settings were correct for the installation haha. I'm not gonna lie, I'm much happier with Karmic on my netbook than OSX or Mint. Moral of the story: Don't drink around computers unless you're prepared to upgrade!:D

The Toxic Mite
January 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
So last night my friend and I decided to have a chill night in at the house. We ordered a pizza and were just messing around on a couple of new desktop computers that fell into our hands (someone gave them away thinking they were "broken"). He wanted to use one as a linux server and set the other one up to give to our roommate.

Somewhere along the way we (mostly me) started drinking. Then some more friends came over....and more drinking occurred. One thing led to another and next thing I know, I woke up this morning and my HP netbook (which previously had a Mac OS X & Mint 8 dual boot), had been completely formatted and a fresh install of Karmic 8-[

Good thing I had all my important information backed up using Dropbox and most (not all) the settings were correct for the installation haha. I'm not gonna lie, I'm much happier with Karmic on my netbook than OSX or Mint. Moral of the story: Don't drink around computers unless you're prepared to upgrade!:D

Pretty funny :lol:

That's probably the only positive effect of alcohol on a Linux user :P (NB I don't condone this btw ;) )

terrapin893
January 18th, 2010, 02:43 PM
All things considered, Im sure that night could have ended much worse.

;)

Eisenwinter
January 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I always get very drunk while using the computer (sitting here drinking for hours until I'm spinning and can't walk straight when I get up to take a ****), and the thing you described has never happened to me.

The Toxic Mite

;)

Did you read my disclaimer??? O_O

Mehall
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/flow_charts.png

cartisdm
January 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM

;)

Sure could have. I could've ended up with Windows XP!!! :shock:

The Toxic Mite
January 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/flow_charts.png

:lolflag:

pwnst*r
January 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I always get very drunk while using the computer (sitting here drinking for hours until I'm spinning and can't walk straight when I get up to take a ****), and the thing you described has never happened to me.

This just needed to be quoted.

cascade9
January 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
6 drinks is 'I should try installing FreeBSD'. Damnit, thats why I stuffed up last time, I only had 2 drinks! Mind you, PC-BSD worked @ 4 :)

;)

Of course! After 12 drinks, you wake up with OS/2 on your computer.

Mehall
January 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM
6 drinks is 'I should try installing FreeBSD'. Damnit, thats why I stuffed up last time, I only had 2 drinks! Mind you, PC-BSD worked @ 4 :)

Of course! After 12 drinks, you wake up with OS/2 on your computer.

Wrong, you switch the torrent to Microsoft Bob at about 10 drinks.

Tristam Green
January 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I am disappoint. I expected the OP to read "apply liberally".

Grenage
January 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM
To be honest when drinking comes into the picture, installing an OS has never crossed my mind. It's far more likely that we'll end up seeing who can jump over a neighbour's fish pond.

alexfish
January 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Hi

Q1 Would this help with the problems I have with Win7
Q2 What kind of pizza would you recommend while upgrading
Q3 Do you have any pizza left over

The Toxic Mite
January 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi

Q1 Would this help with the problems I have with Win7
Q2 What kind of pizza would you recommend while upgrading
Q3 Do you have any pizza left over

A1 - I wouldn't condone it - you could bork the entire computer if you were drunk ;)
A2 - Sloppy Giuseppe :D
A3 - No

scouser73
January 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'd went out one evening for a few pints of Guinness and then came home stinking drunk and decided I wanted to go on the Internet. Don't ask me how I managed to have done this but I vomited on the keyboard and closed the lid...well as I said, I was pretty drunk. The next morning (well afternoon) arrives, I wake up and decide to use the Laptop, completely forgetting about the previous nights technicoloured yawn. Needless to say, the screen was covered in vomit as was the keyboard, I cleaned the screen and the keyboard but a few keys wouldn't work anymore.

So the moral of the story here is, always have a spare keyboard lol.

I sold the laptop a few months later to Cash Converters.

lovinglinux
January 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Next time use a Virtual Machine for such experiments.

alexfish
January 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
A1 - I wouldn't condone it - you could bork the entire computer if you were drunk ;)
A2 - Sloppy Giuseppe :D
A3 - No:(

:D pizza man Just been

Thanks for the advice

koleoptero
January 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I've done worse things sober...

malspa
January 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
So the moral of the story here is, always have a spare keyboard

Reminded me of some years back when I spilled vodka all over my keyboard...

lisati
January 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM
moral of the story: Don't drink around computers unless you're prepared to upgrade!:d

+1

argosreality
January 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ah, reminds me of a night in college when I was messing around on my early ubuntu install after hitting up a few parties. Suffice to say I was pretty wasted, was deleting a few directories from the command line and then promptly typed rm wrong and deleted my entire mp3 collection (over 15k songs)

My roommate said I cried like a little girl for quite a while.
I dont remember that part

Zoot7
January 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Haha. :lolflag:

I've never done anything such as a drunken install of an OS.
However I did post on the forum I'm a SuperMod on, after coming back from a night out whilst quite drunk. What ensued was basically most of the members lol'ing at me because I couldn't spell correctly or adhere to proper grammer.

pwnst*r
January 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
reminder: drinking while on the internet is not drinking socially.

Grenage
January 18th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Quite so.

MasterNetra
January 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
:lolflag:

+1 :lolflag:

cartisdm
January 19th, 2010, 12:14 AM
hahaha, this whole thread has me cracking up after a long day of work!!

Also, after some (sober) tinkering with my new Karmic desktop on my mini I took it in to show my boss and he was quite impressed!

RiceMonster
January 19th, 2010, 12:14 AM

lol

llawwehttam
January 19th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I did once wake up to windows 95 on my gaming machine. Must have took someone ages getting it to work.

geoffree
January 19th, 2010, 12:23 AM
That was a great short-short story. It was a brief emotional flip, and ends up being unexpected. I'm not looking at it as your praise for a particular o.s., or for "lucky for you that,.. and I dont approve of ...". It's a story. Polish it a bit, make it less techy-oriented, (that's a decision call) and you will have a mini-short story, a new genre. Do more. Snapshots from the computer watching carbon-based life forms antic.

Zeno

alexfish
January 19th, 2010, 12:38 AM
That was a great short-short story. It was a brief emotional flip, and ends up being unexpected. I'm not looking at it as your praise for a particular o.s., or for "lucky for you that,.. and I dont approve of ...". It's a story. Polish it a bit, make it less techy-oriented, (that's a decision call) and you will have a mini-short story, a new genre. Do more. Snapshots from the computer watching carbon-based life forms antic.

Zeno

THE bar fly gently raises his throbbing head. Woken from his drunken stupor, he casts a bleary eye around the room. Something is not quite right.
Sitting on a stool to his left, a chain-smoking gorilla stares mournfully into a pint of beer, while three fruit flies play leapfrog around the rim of the glass. In one corner, a troop of male baboons is knocking back tequila slammers and arguing noisily about who has the shiniest backside. And above the bar, hanging upside down from the rafters, three fruit bats are drinking sangria through a straw. One of the bats loses its grip and falls to the floor in a heap.

Clearly, it is time to leave.

A night out at the pub can reveal the animal in all of us. And with good reason. Drunkenness has a natural history that goes way back, long before the Dog and Duck or the White Horse first opened their doors. Our fondness for alcohol, far from distancing us from the animal kingdom, merely confirms our place within it. Every time we walk into a bar, we are simply retracing our own evolutionary steps. That, at least, is the view of Robert Dudley, an evolutionary biologist from the University of Texas at Austin. "Nobody has come at this from an evolutionary standpoint before," he says. "I'm convinced something fundamental is going on."
Dudley believes that the origins of our love affair with alcohol date back to the time when we first began dining on fermenting fruit. Millions of years ago, when copious body hair was still in vogue, our ancestors would have spent most of their daylight hours scouring the forests for ripe fruits, rich in nutritious sugars, just as monkeys, apes and other fruit-eating animals do today. Fruit sugars will also attract the attention of the local yeast population, so it is inevitable that a diet of ripe fruit brings with it a side salad of ethanol. But ethanol is much more than an addictive intoxicant. For a hungry animal, it is a valuable source of energy.
Ripe fruits are a relatively scarce resource in the rainforest. Trying to find one among all those leaves isn't easy. But clues to their whereabouts can come from the ethanol inside them. Because ethanol is a highly volatile organic compound, ripe fruits will ooze a trail of ethanol vapour. To find the fruit, all you need is a nose, or antennae, sensitive enough to sniff out the trail. According to Dudley, this is where our bond with alcohol may really have begun to strengthen. He believes that, just as the scent of alcohol attracts fruit flies and butterflies, evolution may have co-opted ethanol into our repertoire of olfactory stimulants. An evolved sensitivity to an alcoholic vapour trail would lead an animal straight to the nutritional prize, with the ethanol itself making up a significant part of the energy reward.
If Dudley is right, evolution forged an allegiance between our senses and our physiology, and we have been predisposed to alcohol ever since. In fancy biojargon, we developed a "sensory bias" towards alcohol. Getting drunk, therefore, became an occupational hazard, a simple consequence of unwittingly feeding on an especially ripe batch of fruit.
There is no doubt that many animals have the physiological capacity to get drunk. But in the wild, it is usually only the fruit-eaters who are ever presented with the opportunity. We should see similar kinds of behaviours in all animals that eat fruit, according to Dudley.
There is certainly no shortage of stories about animals getting drunk in the wild. At the end of the summer, for example, worker wasps and hornets feast on fermenting fruit. Postprandial flights often take on a surreal air and collisions with trees are a likely outcome. Similarly, birds pay little attention to the "don't drink and fly" slogan. Whether it is waxwings and robins in the US harvesting a crop of overripe berries, or lorikeets in Australia feeding on fermenting nectar, wing-to-eye coordination rapidly evaporates as the birds fly headlong into walls and windows, or fall from their perches. And a yellow-bellied sapsucker—a kind of woodpecker—is said by one bird-watcher to have become so confused after a sip on some potent sap that it mistook his trouser leg for a tree trunk.
Over in Africa, there is that most terrifying of creatures, the inebriated bull elephant. With a belly full of fruit from the favoured marula tree, and some elephantine gulps of water, the elephant's stomach becomes a giant fermenting vat, turning a normally placid beast into the hell-raiser of the savanna. Behind the bushes, giraffes struggle to stand up on their stilted legs, while monkeys and apes drift off to sleep in the afternoon's alcoholic heat haze. Wherever you look in the animal kingdom, there are fruit-eaters getting sozzled.

k64
January 19th, 2010, 01:25 AM

First of all, how did you turn your netbook into a Hackintosh, anyway? Didn't Apple kill Atom support with a Snow Leopard update? ('http://www.pcworld.com/article/181163/apple_kills_hackintosh_netbooks_with_snow_leopard_ update.html')

Secondly, thank you for switching to Ubuntu Linux.

cartisdm
January 19th, 2010, 02:05 AM
First of all, how did you turn your netbook into a Hackintosh, anyway? Didn't Apple kill Atom support with a Snow Leopard update? ('http://www.pcworld.com/article/181163/apple_kills_hackintosh_netbooks_with_snow_leopard_ update.html')

Secondly, thank you for switching to Ubuntu Linux.

They did, but the wonderful work of hackers released a patch to....eh, fix the patch. But to attend to forum rules, I can't post about any hackintosh stuff since it goes against Apple's EULA.

I was worried about Karmic being to resource heavy to try it out on my netbook (1.66gh Atom w/ 1GB RAM), but it works great even with all the compiz and emerald enhancements!!

Jesus_Valdez
January 19th, 2010, 02:06 AM
good to know that I'm not the only one.

After a night of computer and beer I usually end up with fewer msn contacts altough with the same OS.

altonbr
January 19th, 2010, 02:09 AM
I'd rather wake up beside a laptop named Karmic rather than some of the girls I've woken up beside :S

Mehall
January 19th, 2010, 02:20 AM
good to know that I'm not the only one.

After a night of computer and beer I usually end up with fewer msn contacts altough with the same OS.

I usually end up with more.

Many of them have webcams too.

There may be some reasoning for the two *ponders*

witeshark17
January 19th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Pretty fun story! :popcorn:

Windows Nerd
January 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the good laugh!

cartman640
January 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
One thing led to another and next thing I know, I woke up this morning and my HP netbook (which previously had a Mac OS X & Mint 8 dual boot), had been completely formatted and a fresh install of Karmic 8-[
This happened to me too, except it didn't go quite as well, I ended up with Vista ](*,). Although I started mostly sober, by the time it was finished I was quite drunk (4+ hours it took to do an upgrade).

I'd went out one evening for a few pints of Guinness and then came home stinking drunk and decided I wanted to go on the Internet. Don't ask me how I managed to have done this but I vomited on the keyboard and closed the lid...well as I said, I was pretty drunk. The next morning (well afternoon) arrives, I wake up and decide to use the Laptop, completely forgetting about the previous nights technicoloured yawn. Needless to say, the screen was covered in vomit as was the keyboard, I cleaned the screen and the keyboard but a few keys wouldn't work anymore.

So the moral of the story here is, always have a spare keyboard lol.

I sold the laptop a few months later to Cash Converters.

That is gold.

steveneddy
January 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM

thats sad - really.

audiomick
January 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I'd rather wake up beside a laptop named Karmic rather than some of the girls I've woken up beside :S

chewed your own arm off yet?

alexfish
January 20th, 2010, 04:52 AM
All things considered

After a wild night out don't forget to give your laptop a drink to, Its very existence may depend on it

Alcohol-powered laptops ahead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2847679.stm

edited version of good night out

THE bar fly gently raises his throbbing head. Woken from his drunken stupor, he casts a bleary eye around the room. Something is not quite right.

Sitting on a stool to his left, a chain-smoking gorilla stares mournfully into a pint of beer, while three fruit flies play leapfrog around the rim of the glass.

In one corner, a group of laptops knocking back tequila slammers and arguing noisily about who has the shiniest backside on twitter.

And above the bar, hanging upside down from the rafters, three fruit bats are drinking sangria through a straw. One of the bats loses its grip and falls to the floor in a heap.

a good night was had by all

Grifulkin
January 20th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Priceless.