PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new install

richarjohn
January 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM
i am running hardy heron 8 .04 and having a few problems with the terminal, and the monitor graphics are not very good 22 monitor hanns.g hdmi hg216d so i would like to do a reinstall with the latest vision 9 .1o
i am running a grub duel boot windowsxp anb ubuntu how do i go about installing the new version do i just upgrade or does it have to be a fresh install and how do i uninstall the present vision

pentium4 cpu3 ghz 1gig ram 22montor nvidia geforce fx5500 any help

i would very grateful
regards richard

mikewhatever
January 18th, 2010, 11:21 AM
You can't upgrade directly from 8.04 to 9.10, so it's a reinstall is necessary.

Uninstalling 8.04 isn't needed, just format its partition, and it's gone. Be sure to backup your files before doing that.

audiomick
January 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
If you have /home on a separate partition, you can re-mount it to the new install, thereby retaining your data and settings.

If you don't there is a guide here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
on how to set it up.

richarjohn
January 19th, 2010, 08:56 PM
all the ubuntu o/s is on one partition do i need to use the termial to reformat this partition

presence1960
January 19th, 2010, 10:17 PM
all the ubuntu o/s is on one partition do i need to use the termial to reformat this partition

Back up any data you do not want to lose. Then from ubuntu Live CD open a terminal and run
gksu gparted
This will open gparted and you can format the partition. Once completed you can install the new ubuntu version to that same partition. leave the swap partition alone as the installer will recognize it and mount it as part of the install process. When install is complete you can move your data back.