PDA

View Full Version : Communtu - a platform for an easy post-installation of Ubuntu

KnutHB
January 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Communtu is a web2.0 internet platform, designed to assist users to easily install a bunch of software after they have installed Ubuntu. The program packages are stored in bundles, which can be installed as metapackages.

If you want to install software which is only available in a repository other than the standard repositories of Ubuntu, Communtu automatically adds the repository to your sources.list and also adds the corresponding GPG-keys.

Moreover, you can not only install already existing bundles on your system - you can create your own bundles and, if you want to, make them available for other users.

Communtu is designed both for users who just installed Ubuntu for the first time and for system administrators who want to install one selection of software on multiple computers.

Currently we are testing a new feature: create your individual Ubuntu-CDs! With this feature it is possible to add your own software selection to the CD and test it as a usual Live-CD and install it as a normal Ubuntu (with the software you have chosen previously).

Communtu is free of charge and can be used without registering.

We also have an IRC-channel on Freenode: #en-communtu .

E-Mail: info@communtu.de
Homepage: http://en.communtu.org
IRC: #en-communtu on Freenode

Primefalcon
January 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
You need to register?

sliketymo
January 18th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I can't put my finger on exactly why,but this just seems kinda fishy from someone with just 2 posts.

Majorix
January 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Agree with the previous posters.

Why on earth would I have to login to download it? Your "guest session" approach sucks.

fromthehill
January 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Your "guest session" approach sucks.
also, it doesn't work

toddyfranz
January 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I am a member of Communtu, too.

It is correct that the guest account doesn't work at the moment. Thank you for reporting this bug. We work on a solution of this bug that you don't need to register.

sliketymo wrote:
"I can't put my finger on exactly why,but this just seems kinda fishy from someone with just 2 posts. "

We are a group of german ubuntu users. We are not active in this forum till now. I am a member of the german ubuntu forum ubuntuusers.de (there I have nearly 1000 posts Username: toddy on ubuntuusers.de - KnutHB is activ on ubuntuusers.de too and have there over 100 posts).

Please try it out and report your impressions and if you find some also bugs too. If you have wishes report it too.

Thank you

Torsten

toddyfranz
January 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Hi,

the bug that you couldn't logged in with the guest account is fixed. Thank you for reporting it.

If you get questions to Communtu post it here in this thread or use the contact mail on ourer website.

Have fun with Communtu and make your own metapackages with a few clicks.

Cya

Torsten

audiomick
January 20th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I can't put my finger on exactly why,but this just seems kinda fishy from someone with just 2 posts.

I looked around there a bit, and I think it is ok.
They have some kind of connection to ubuntuusers.de, which is perfectly ok. It is the (or a) german language ubuntu users site.
The Communtu site also has links to some German sites that they seem to be affiliated with that also look ok.

I had a look at Communtu myself a while back, but was put off by having to register, and couldn't see a real need for it myself, so I can't say if it works well or not.

I think that they genuinely want to try and help new users along on the way to Ubuntu.

mechro
January 20th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Edit: bluumpphh

KnutHB
February 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hello there,

we now have an English blog (http://encommuntu.wordpress.com/). Feel free to try Communtu and send us feedback.

Cya

Timo