PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New install questions

Alberonn
January 18th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Ok, I know there are a gadjillion posts on this, but I might have some unique twists.

I am currently running Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit installed on a 500GB SATA HD. I have a 320GB SATA that is just one big partition originally intended to hold more data--it is free to install Ubuntu. My system is an ASRock K10N78M motherboard with an AMD Athalon II 3.0GHz dual core. 4GB of RAM is installed. I have two IDE DVD-R drives. I also have a Rosewill Floppy Drive with a built-in card reader. (The card reader is connected to one of the internal USB connectors.

If I understand correctly, the install disk sould be painless, but is there anything I need to keep in mind for this installation? I plan on using the second drive to hold the distro and I ant a dual-booting system. Can I run the 64-bit Ubuntu with the 32-bit windows installed?

Thanks for all of your help.

Alberonn
January 18th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I don't know if this is important, but my main hd has a system partition for XP and the rest is partitioned to hold all of my stuff.

The last time I installed any form of Linux was Debian on my old Amiga 4000/040.

rogue_0111
January 18th, 2010, 03:48 AM
check out this thread:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Good luck

perspectoff
January 18th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Also see Ubuntuguide.org:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation

You may wish to consider an independent boot partition.

Sef
January 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Can I run the 64-bit Ubuntu with the 32-bit windows installed?

Yes.

If I understand correctly, the install disk sould be painless, but is there anything I need to keep in mind for this installation?

Back up your data before dual booting. There are no 100% guarantees that all will go well.

Alberonn
February 8th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Well, it was painless and I have Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic running nicely. Now all I need to do is to figure out how to get DDO running under Wine. lol

Actually, I am wondering how I get a microphone connected to the front panel of my computer to work.