PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Ubuntu Studio Install Causes Video to Go Kaput

dwankan
January 17th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I've searched but couldn't find anything on this, so if there is a thread already, someone please redirect me.
I just tried to install Ubuntu Studio 9.1, and afterward, it boots to a bunch of lines and a message on the monitor that says "Not Optimum Mode: Recommended Mode 1440x900, 60hz."
I have nvidia graphics, and I had to install the nvidia driver to get the regular Ubuntu (karmic) to work at 1440x900. It still booted up to the desktop without doing that, but it was at a low graphics setting. With Studio, I can't even see a desktop.
I thought maybe I could fix it by getting the nvidia driver installed in Studio, but I can't see anything, which makes that difficult. It seems to be booting to the desktop because I hear the start up sounds going off, but I can't see anything. Is there a way that I can install that nvidia driver into Ubuntu Studio without seeing the desktop?
I am not very familiar with the Ubuntu systems, so this is all new to me. Please keep that in mind when you respond. In other words, I will need you to spell out what you're asking or suggesting in elaborate detail.