PDA

View Full Version : Samba not installed by default?

user1397
January 17th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I just noticed yesterday that I did not have samba installed so I couldn't access my network until I sudo apt-get install'd it.

Shouldn't it be installed by default? I thought I remember it being installed by default on older ubuntu releases.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2010, 11:03 PM
You can choose to install it when you install the server OS.

I prefer installing it after I create all the users and crap, so I don't have to do more work. :P

sisco311
January 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM
You are prompted to install it when you try to share a file.

user1397
January 17th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Yea but shouldn't it be installed by default for users to be able to view shared files in their home networks? When I went to Places > Network > Windows Network, it didn't prompt me to install samba it just gave me an error pop-up.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2010, 11:41 PM
What was the error you got?

I've browsed to files on my network from a clean install of Ubuntu Desktop. No errors.

user1397
January 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
What was the error you got?

I've browsed to files on my network from a clean install of Ubuntu Desktop. No errors.
this was the error:

"Unable to mount location
Failed to retrieve share list from server"

juancarlospaco
January 17th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Unix dont need Samba, you can use SSH or NFS,
also SMB protocol creates a spamm on broadcast packages, eat bandwith.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2010, 11:53 PM
What OS are you trying to connect to?

user1397
January 18th, 2010, 12:01 AM
What OS are you trying to connect to?Windows and/or OS X

cariboo
January 18th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Ubuntu connects to Windows by default, without having to install any extra software. You have problems elsewhere.

I would suggest you start a thread in the support forums, to get help solving the problem.

user1397
January 18th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Ubuntu connects to Windows by default, without having to install any extra software. You have problems elsewhere.

I would suggest you start a thread in the support forums, to get help solving the problem.I don't have any problems, I was just wondering why samba isn't installed by default. And how can ubuntu connect to windows so magically without samba?

Morbius1
January 18th, 2010, 12:34 AM
The samba package is a server package. It's purpose is for you to serve your folders to others on your network. It can however control certain aspects of a client and should be there by default.

Anyone who has ever gotten this error:

Server requested LANMAN password (share-level security) but 'client lanman auth' is disabledwhen trying to access a remote share knows the only fix is to add:

client lanman auth = Yes
lanman auth = Yes to the smb.conf of the client and restart the samba service. Comes up mostly with NAS devices.

So I agree with you that it should be installed by default but not for the reason you stated.

humphreybc
January 18th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Samba probably isn't installed by default due to size:

samba is 18.3MB

samba-common is 733kB

samba-common-bin is 14.3MB

That is a LOT of space when you're trying to fit an entire OS and a library of applications on a 700MB CD.

Cuddles McKitten
January 18th, 2010, 01:41 AM
The server shouldn't be installed by default for security reasons if nothing else. Open ports = bad. Open ports that can allow remote access to hard drive when misconfigured = very bad.

The client, on the other hand, probably should be installed by default. I'm guessing the size reason mentioned above is one of the main factors.

Icehuck
January 18th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Out of the box nautilus will connect to samba shares.

cariboo
January 18th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Smbclient is in the default Ubuntu installation allowing you to connect to Windows shares.