PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Moving over root and home into new Ubuntu installation

tedrogers
January 17th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the right sort of information. Everything I can find seems far too complex to me, for what I want to do, which seems quite simple.

I have a IBM T42 (using it now to write this) and a newer Lenovo T500 (with a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 on it).

I want to take all of my programmes and config of those programmes, plus all my /home directory information/files/hidden files all over onto the new machine. There may be other stuff I need to take over to, and don't know enough about to comment here...but basically I want my new system to look and work like my old system, with all the same programmes and user data, all configured in the same way.

Is there a way to do this over the network or another way?

I can't even get the two systems to see each other over the network, even though Folder Sharing is enabled and (I think) all the right components are installed. I even checked to see if my user had permission to share files on both machines, and I do.

Thanks everyone.

tedrogers
January 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Ahh...I did it the long way in the end.

Reinstalled everything and copied over only the config files I knew I needed.

tnc
January 22nd, 2010, 12:56 AM
Well gosh, I'm looking for the same answer and got all excited when I saw this thread....:(

tedrogers
January 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah I know how you feel my friend!

I waited for an answer, and didn't get on in the usual "quick" fashion that I've become accustomed to on this amasing forum.

Anyway, I did it the hard way in the end! LOL.

oldfred
January 23rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
I found several recommendations here to use SMB instead of Samba and found it worked much better. I used it to copy all my files and settings from my desktop to my portable as I wanted the same configuration.
I was able to copy data and /home and on desktop export applications and reinstall.

HOWTO: NFS Server/Client if no windows
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

in a terminal, and the mount point /files will be mounted from the server.
from my history:
356 sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server nfs-common portmap
357 sudo dpkg-reconfigure portmap
358 sudo /etc/init.d/portmap restart
359 service portmap restart
360 ifconfig
361 sudo exportfs -a

add to /etc/exports
/usr/local/fred/data 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async)

on portable:
sudo apt-get install portmap nts-common
sudo mkdir /mnt/data_DT
sudo mount 192.168.1.20:/usr/local/fred/data /mnt/data_DT

tnc
January 25th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Well, I got my home folder moved to my new-to-me box. I just installed Karmic on the the new box, plugged my "home" harddrive into the slave position on the second IDE and copy pasted. TA-Da.

Keepin it simple stupid :D

D3V11
January 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM
update versions with the update manager.

tnc
January 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Um, new computer. No previous Linux installation..... What's to upgrade?