PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB2 hangs !!!

Montfinal
January 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Dear forum members,

I saw a similar thrad, but can't find it anymore. Anyhow it was not resolved. So I take the liberty to post this in a new thread:

I have installed ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop in dual boot configuration (other OS is WinXP). grub starts and I can hit enter to boot Ubuntu.

However as soon as I use an arrow key to move downwards in the menu, grub hangs. In this condition I cannot boot any other OS, not even the "safe" version of Ubuntu.

Any idea what is the cause of this ? It is a fresh installation and I read in the other thread that reinstalling grub or re-running grub-update had no positive effect.

Does anone know how I can install grub 0.97 ? Where do I find it ?

Thanks

montfinal

kansasnoob
January 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Dear forum members,

I saw a similar thrad, but can't find it anymore. Anyhow it was not resolved. So I take the liberty to post this in a new thread:

I have installed ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop in dual boot configuration (other OS is WinXP). grub starts and I can hit enter to boot Ubuntu.

However as soon as I use an arrow key to move downwards in the menu, grub hangs. In this condition I cannot boot any other OS, not even the "safe" version of Ubuntu.

Any idea what is the cause of this ? It is a fresh installation and I read in the other thread that reinstalling grub or re-running grub-update had no positive effect.

Thanks

montfinal

That's why I wrote this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932

But I sure would like to know what the cause of your problem is? Since it's a laptop are you using a USB keyboard perhaps?

Montfinal
January 17th, 2010, 11:18 PM
That's why I wrote this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932

But I sure would like to know what the cause of your problem is? Since it's a laptop are you using a USB keyboard perhaps?

Many thanks for the link above. I didn't understand at all steps what I was actually doing, but the howto ran through smoothly. Dual boot is now working as expected.

And: sure I would like to know why grub2 hangs. I don't work with keybard connected through USB. I use the built-in one.

Cheers

Montfinal