PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] question about Ubuntu updates

soso64
January 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm new to Ubuntu ... and I installed it along with Vista in one laptop and it works fine with me

But when I install new updates for Ubuntu and restart my computer to apply those updates.... a new Ubuntu with different number appears on the list of the operating systems that I need to choose from

For example ..
At first I have those OS:
Ubuntu (and some number I think it's 15)
Vista

after the first update I have:
Ubuntu (16)
Vista

after the second update:
Ubuntu (17)
Ubuntu (16)
Vista

My question is .. does this mean every time I updated Ubuntu I'll have additional OS on my device?

Any help is really appreciated :)

wojox
January 17th, 2010, 03:52 PM
No those are just kernel upgrades. If your current kernel (17) is working out you can remove the others (15, 16).

kansasnoob
January 17th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I always like to keep two kernels just in case.

Oh, and to remove a kernel safely I first run:

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Which pulls up a copy of grub.cfg and I scroll down through it and look for the kernel I want to remove, in this example 2.6.31-16:

You can see that I've used my mouse pointer to highlight that kernel # so I can just right click and choose "copy".

Then I can just go to Synaptic and click on Search, then paste that number into the search window, then press Enter and let Synaptic find it for me. Then just mark for removal.

audiomick
January 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Then I can just go to Synaptic and click on Search, then paste that number into the search window, then press Enter and let Synaptic find it for me. Then just mark for removal.

that's a good trick ;)