PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with PC.

Slug71
January 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Too make a long story short, my parents brought my old Desktop that i built back in 2001 when they came over for the holidays.
My power supply died a while back when they were in posession of it so i ordered a new one from ebay.
It has WinXP, Win98 and a few Distros on it. I installed the PS and fired it up. When i go to load XP it gets to boot splash then goes to CHKDSK. It passes that but then just freezes on the passed screen.
When i hit reset it takes me to the Safe Mode screen. No matter what option i choose, it freezes.
Starting Windows normally takes me back to CHKDSK, if i hit any key to skip it, It freezes.????

Any ideas?
The HDD that XP is on has 3 partitions IIRC.

Win98 loads fine.
If anyone knows how to get the WMP110 PCI card working on there, that would be great too! I can get the XP driver loaded but not the utility.
I have a yellow exclamation mark on the device in Device Manager.

Im pretty sure the PC has been messed with though while not in my possesion because my boot loader options have changed too. I had Fedora Core 4, Mandrake 10 an Xandros 3.0 installed too.
I used to have the Xandros boot loader installed with the option to load Xandros, Fedora, Mandrake or Windows. If i chose Windows it would ask if i wanted to load Win98 or XP.
Now i just have the Xandros boot screen with the options for Win98, XP and Xandros.

Machine is
Athlon XP1800+, 512MB 266mhz-PC2100, Soltek SL-75DRV4 board, nVidia 256MB 6600 AGP video card, 2x 120GB drives(Samsung & Seagate).

Slug71
January 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Oh and my original XP and Win98 cds have dissapeared, so i am not in posession of OEM CDs.

dragos240
January 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Well you COULD get a winxp repair cd. That may help.

LowSky
January 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Just reformat the hard drive and go crazy installing newer OSes or whatever. If you haven't used the machine in years I highly doubt it has anything important on it.

Berk
January 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Before reformatting, maybe use a liveCD to pull off any files that you may have on there if you haven't already got them backed up. Then as said, go wild. :D