PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub 2 - rootnoverify gone, how to boot BeOS??

FA-2
January 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I was using a previous version of ubuntu that came with grub 0.97 (I think). I was able to boot to BeOS on its own partition using the following:

BeOS
rootnoverify (hd0,5)
chainloader +1

rootnoverify is what made it work. Without rootnoverify, BeOS would not boot.

When I upgraded to ubuntu 9.10, it "comes with" Grub 2. grub didn't find the partition automatically, so I added the entry above to the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file, ran update-grub, and rebooted.

Grub 2 no longer supports rootnoverify. It told me so when I attempted to boot BeOS. I did some searching, and rootnoverify has apparently been declared "useless' (I found that on a Grub 2 page on the ubuntu site). I tried changing it to root=(hd0,5) and I get a signature error & no boot.

What should be used in place of rootnoverify? It does not seem too useless to me! :confused:

on edit: I forgot to mention, I am trying to boot BeOS PE5 MAX, if it makes a difference.

kansasnoob
January 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Try:

sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom

And edit to look like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "BeOS" {
set root=(hdX,Y)
chainloader +1
}

Of course the X,Y must be replaced with the disc and partition numbers. But grub2 numbering changed slightly:

Discs still begin with 0 (zero) just like legacy grub, but partitions now begin with 1 (one), so sda1 is now (hd0,1) instead of (hd0,0) like in legacy grub.

You were using (hd0,5) which is /dev/sda5. Is BeOS on sda5? or sda6?

Oops forgot to say, must update-grub after each change to /etc/grub.d/40_custom:

sudo update-grub

kansasnoob
January 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Oh, and just so you don't panic, if all else fails you can revert to legacy grub:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932

Hopefully you'll only do so as a last resort though :)

Grub2 really is nice once you get used to it, although there are still a few corner issues where it may not work, that's why I wrote that HowTo.