PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux to the Rescue... Victimized by the Internet Security 2010 Virus...

casparov
January 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hi, Everyone...

I am currently running 8.04 and would like to upgrade to 9.10 due to sound environment problems and other issues.

I just lost several years worth of work and effort after having my Windows partition destroyed by the Internet Security 2010 virus. I was never knowledgeable about Ubuntu but could, sort of, find my way around. I would now like to jump from 8.04 to 9.10 but do not know how that is done. I.e., if I plug in the live CD will it overwrite all of my 8.04 data? Will the live CD locate my Linux partition and avoid writing over my Windows partition? (There are files and folders that I can salvage through Ubuntu.) I understand that sequential, incremental upgrading is best, but that cannot be my option now.

Anyway, a quick primer or just some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for any and all help,

C.

Leppie
January 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM
upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 should be ok, but seems like upgrading from 8.xx to 9.xx causes a lot of issues. it may be better to backup your personal data and do a clean install.

casparov
January 18th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Leppie...

Thanks--you may very well be right.

However, I noticed when I clicked the arrow (package upgrade availability icon) it indicated that I had some two-hundred files available. Since my distro is so long in the tooth I elected to download these files.

Once I did that, an option was offered to upgrade to 9.04, which I took. When that is finished I will duly upgrade to 9.10.

Thanks so much for your reply. Some of this is coming back.

Regards,

C.

SmittyJensen
January 18th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Leppie...

Thanks--you may very well be right.

However, I noticed when I clicked the arrow (package upgrade availability icon) it indicated that I had some two-hundred files available. Since my distro is so long in the tooth I elected to download these files.

Once I did that, an option was offered to upgrade to 9.04, which I took. When that is finished I will duly upgrade to 9.10.

Thanks so much for your reply. Some of this is coming back.

Regards,

C.
Have fun, friend. should be simple as pie, if not come back and ask more questions. :)