PDA

View Full Version : Router recommendations?

MaxIBoy
January 17th, 2010, 10:30 AM
So it looks like our old POS Linksys router is a goner. Basically, it no longer renews our dynamic IP address with Comcast, so we loose our Internet connection several times a day. Plugging one of our computers directly into the modem works fine though.

I would like to take this opportunity to get a better router, and I'm looking for recommendations. Of course I could just look on NewEgg, but what I'm really after is personal experience. So if you post a link to a router which you have never used, thank you but this does not help me. What I want:

4 ports is fine, but I wouldn't say no to more.
WiFi is optional, as I really don't have much need for it except under rare circumstances.
Firewall is optional but preferred.
If it has a firewall, it should also have DMZ port.
Easy-to-setup port forwarding.
Low latency for gaming, although of course my Internet connection is more of a bottleneck here.
High throughput for bittorrent, although of course my Internet connection is also more of a bottleneck here.
Shouldn't be astronomically expensive.

I've noticed that without the router involved, Web browsing is just a little bit more snappy and responsive, and I would like to keep it that way if possible when switching back to the router.

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
-Max.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I've been running a Dlink DIR-615 for a few months without any problems.

blueturtl
January 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
You didn't specify if it needs to have WLAN, but I highly recommend the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 (http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/whr-hp-g54-wireless-g-mimo-performance-broadband-router-and-access-point/). After you put DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) on it (not hard) it is one mean machine!

On that note, if your Linksys isn't physically dead, you could give it one last chance with alternative firmware such as what I previously mentioned. Often the nature of the whole device will change when you change the software it runs.

If you're getting a new one anyway, there's little risk in "bricking" it.

gn2
January 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I have a Netgear DG834G and am very happy with it, no idea if it fits your criteria, I'm not really all that technically minded, if it "just works" that's all I need.
It has been "just working" perfectly without a single problem for roughly five years.

juancarlospaco
January 17th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Click here for a Free Router (http://www.vyatta.com/downloads/index.php)
:)

pwnst*r
January 17th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Linksys WRT54GL if you aren't in need of a wireless N device. I know you said "pos" in your first post, but, sorry, Linksys is quality stuff - and hard to beat with third party firmware.

markp1989
January 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM
+1 on the WRT54GLi have it, i brought it a few months ago with the intention of installing a 3rd party firmware on it, but never got around to doing it, even with the stock software it is still a decent router

n0dix
January 17th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Don't buy any Netgear router, they are awful. I recommend you Lanpro routers, any of them.

MaxIBoy
January 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

The router we have now is a BEFSX41; I don't know if that model is famous for sucking, but I certainly don't like it much (mostly because port forwarding can get so confusing with it.)

WiFi is not a requirement. (I'm going to edit that into my original post.)

Slug71
January 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Linksys WRT610N

pwnst*r
January 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

The router we have now is a BEFSX41; I don't know if that model is famous for sucking, but I certainly don't like it much (mostly because port forwarding can get so confusing with it.)

WiFi is not a requirement. (I'm going to edit that into my original post.)

that's an older model, but was still good.

Linksys WRT610N

That's a really good one. It's my main router. My WRT54GL is in bridged mode for both the PS3 and 360.

**oops, I lied, I have the 150N**

Hallvor
January 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
WRT54GL is very good. Flashed mine with DD-Wrt. http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

lisati
January 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Don't buy any Netgear router, they are awful. I recommend you Lanpro routers, any of them.

Must disagree (as long as we can keep it friendly!) I have a Netgear router, works well, easy to use.

billysouth
January 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have a linksys wrt54g2, it started dropping the connection so I flashed it with dd-wrt and now it's like I have a new router. I don't know if your router is compatable with dd-wrt, but, in my opinion, it would be worth checking out.

NCLI
January 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Linksys WRT610N

^^This, if you need a high-performance router. If not, I suggest getting the Linksys WRT54G and installing DD-WRT on it. Still an amazing router, supported by the fact that Linksys has released more than 10 new versions of the exact same router! If it wasn't for my need for gigabit networking, I would still use this.

d3v1150m471c
January 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM
You didn't specify if it needs to have WLAN, but I highly recommend the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 (http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/whr-hp-g54-wireless-g-mimo-performance-broadband-router-and-access-point/). After you put DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) on it (not hard) it is one mean machine!

On that note, if your Linksys isn't physically dead, you could give it one last chance with alternative firmware such as what I previously mentioned. Often the nature of the whole device will change when you change the software it runs.

If you're getting a new one anyway, there's little risk in "bricking" it.

Right. that sounds more like a software issue and not so much hardware.

Icehuck
January 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
^^This, if you need a high-performance router.

I can't say it's a high performance router since it is known to over heat from poor hardware design.

alexfish
January 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I use Netgear , it has good features

doorknob60
January 17th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I got one of these at Walmart for like $40:
http://www.haggertyinthehague.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/netgear-router.jpg

It works perfect, has a good interface for configuration, with all the goodies like port forwarding, IP reservation, and DynDNS support. Never given me any problems. My friend and my grandparents also have them and they also work perfect. Cheap and good. The actual model number of it is WGR614v9, but I'd assume any router similar to this model would work just as good.

markp1989
January 17th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I got one of these at Walmart for like $40:
http://www.haggertyinthehague.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/netgear-router.jpg

It works perfect, has a good interface for configuration, with all the goodies like port forwarding, IP reservation, and DynDNS support. Never given me any problems. My friend and my grandparents also have them and they also work perfect. Cheap and good. The actual model number of it is WGR614v9, but I'd assume any router similar to this model would work just as good.

i think thats the same router i got free from virgin media, i didnt like it as it didnt seem to play well with torrents and xbox , had no qos settings.

gletob
January 17th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Go one ebay and get a T-Mobile Hotspot@Home Linksys WRT54G-TM and plunk DD-WRT down on it.

pwnst*r
January 17th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Go one ebay and get a T-Mobile Hotspot@Home Linksys WRT54G-TM and plunk DD-WRT down on it.

Share why instead of the more readily available (and by the looks of it, cheaper) WRT54GL please.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I would like to know as well.

gletob
January 17th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Share why instead of the more readily available (and by the looks of it, cheaper) WRT54GL please.
32 MB Ram/8 MB Flash vs. 16 MB ram/4MB Flash

And in my eBay search they look just as, if not more expensive.

pwnst*r
January 18th, 2010, 01:04 AM
32 MB Ram/8 MB Flash vs. 16 MB ram/4MB Flash

And in my eBay search they look just as, if not more expensive.

The RAM would be nice, but I doubt the OP cares about that. He just wants a stable router. Dunno I didn't see any sales from reputable peeps in my short search. Ebay's not all that.

gletob
January 18th, 2010, 02:21 AM
The RAM would be nice, but I doubt the OP cares about that. He just wants a stable router. Dunno I didn't see any sales from reputable peeps in my short search. Ebay's not all that.
It's a biased opinion that's what I have, it fits my needs so I sugest

pwnst*r
January 18th, 2010, 02:23 AM
http://imgur.com/aaEpu.jpg

lisati
January 18th, 2010, 02:26 AM
i think thats the same router i got free from virgin media, i didnt like it as it didnt seem to play well with torrents and xbox , had no qos settings.

Looks similar to the v7 model I have, which isn't hooked up as I type - it's a bit redundant since the "freebie" Thomson Speedtouch 585 from my ISP does all I currently need. Now to figure out why my ISP still seems to be blocking port 25, it'd be nice for me to learn about hosting email......(edit: done a moan to my ISP through their website, seems I'm not alone. "Sheilds up" is showing the port closed......)

gn2
January 19th, 2010, 01:56 AM

Routers suplied by ISPs are sometimes flashed with non-standard firmware.
Apart from that, Virgin are notoriously bad as an ISP.