PDA

View Full Version : Which video editor do you want to be included in 10.04

Anxious Nut
January 17th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Just wanna know how many of you want OpenShot instead of PiTiVi and vice versa. I'm voting for OpenShot.

Paqman
January 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hard to say. Pitivi is great, but needs to be fleshed out a bit IMO. OpenShot looks like it has the edge on features, but it's so new i've not really had much chance to use it much.

VLC's new video editor will probably shake up the competition when it arrives, too. Who knows, in six months' time we might actually have a decent video editor for home users.

cariboo
January 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
PiTiVi is installed by default on alpha2.

humphreybc
January 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Pitivi will be included in 10.04 by default.

As for what I think - Pitivi integrates into Gnome nicer, and probably has more support for codecs than OpenShot - but it lacks features and has a few niggly bugs - therefore making it perfect for Gnome!

OpenShot I have only tried once or twice, and while it's feature packed, my experience with it was less than desirable. Better than Pitivi, however, as Pitivi wouldn't import my .ogv files. Although that's probably .ogv's fault - it's the worst format in the world.

They're both as bad as each other when you see what Windows and Mac has to offer. I give it another year and then we'll have something that can stand up to Movie Maker.

At least by being included by default, Pitivi will attract more attention and hopefully gain a lot more contributors to speed up development.

mkvnmtr
January 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
A video editor is not something I need on a default install. If I have one complaint with Ubuntu it is the amount of apps that I do not need on a default install. I have no problem installing what I want when I want it. Of course I understand that new users seem to need it the way it is.

SuperSonic4
January 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM
A video editor is not something I need on a default install. If I have one complaint with Ubuntu it is the amount of apps that I do not need on a default install. I have no problem installing what I want when I want it. Of course I understand that new users seem to need it the way it is.

Minimal install ftw!

But I don't think a video editor should be included on vanilla ubuntu - even removing the space will allow a lower ISO

gnomeuser
January 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
OpenShot carries MLT with it as a whole new dependency which is problematic and will require both a legal and a technical review. Additionally you'd have to make space for it on the CD.

Pitivi as I understand it has fulltime developers assigned to it and it builts on the same multimedia intrastructure as the rest of the Ubuntu Desktop.

Pitivi is the superior choice of the two. VLC's offering is not an option as we most likely as with the VLC player have no supportable way of modularizing codec support to abide with the law.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Anyone else find it weird that they're removing GIMP but adding a video editor?

NCLI
January 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Anyone else find it weird that they're removing GIMP but adding a video editor?

Nope. They're removing an advanced image editor while expanding F-spot to support basic photo-manipultion, and adding a basic video editor.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Nope. They're removing an advanced image editor while expanding F-spot to support basic photo-manipultion, and adding a basic video editor.

"Basic" photo manipulation already exists in the wonderful, small and simple app gThumb. gThumb should have been the default replacement for the Gimp in my view.

Back on topic...
I voted Openshot. Very nice app. Though I tend to agree that a video editor is not really necessary in a default install of Ubuntu.

humphreybc
January 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM

Just on the topic of F-Spot - god I hope they fix that thing where it forces you to import everything into F-Spot before you can use it. And by default it tries to COPY everything too!

Ever tried "importing" 25,000 10MP RAW images into F-Spot? It's impossible.

I am forced to use digiKam under Gnome as it's the closest thing to Lightroom. Picasa is too basic for simple editing like white balance and sharpening etc.

I'm not sure that Pitivi is required in 10.04 - I'm also a minimalist guy. One of the benefits of Ubuntu is that it's so easy to install software - a video editor is something I'm only likely to use once or twice a year, so when I need it all I do is install it, use it, and then remove it again.