PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Poor Video Performance!

higashi
January 17th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Ever since my upgrade to karmic, I've been having video performance issues. I've posted about this several times already, searched for days, and still no luck.

If i try to play a video with Totem, it usually doesn't play. If i press play, it immediately turns back into a pause button. If it does manage to play, it lags.. A LOT.

If i try to play a video with Miro, it lags like crazy, and the sound doesn't play on time. (same goes for MPlayer)

I don't have any proprietary drivers. What can i do!?

fancypiper
January 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
What video card/chipset do you have? You probably need to install the drivers for it.

Have you tried to play them with VLC?

higashi
January 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
hm..VLC works quite well (but i still dont want to have to use it for everything)

Video Card:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

fancypiper
January 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Try installing the driver for your chipset.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

higashi
January 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM
When i do that, it tells me that xserver-xorg-video-intel is already the newest version

EDIT: i noticed that the example video that came with karmic (which is of .ogv format) works perfectly fine

gradinaruvasile
January 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Press alt+f2, type gstreamer-properties, press enter. Go to the video tab, select X11 with xv device, Intel texture output.

Install the Medibuntu repositories:

http://www.medibuntu.org/

Update your system and install the w32codecs package.

higashi
January 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I installed the medibuntu repositories, and got w32codecs. I then selected X Window System (X11/XShm/Xv), but it won't let me choose a device

EDIT: in the Device dropdown menu, it says "unsupported"

higashi
January 20th, 2010, 02:20 AM
bump