PDA

View Full Version : vga to rca cable?

rifak
January 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM
hey everyone,
my fiance has an old analog television and we are looking to hook the computer up to it to watch online movies. the problem is that there is no vga connector on the tv (since it's analog)...so, does anyone know if they make vga to rca cables WITH sound capability. i found some cables online, but im not sure if they make ones with the ability to transfer sound to the tv.

Kevinlittleton
January 17th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I actually just ordered a cable from eBay for this exact reason... I don't think there is a way to transfer the sound but you could use the mini headphone out on the computer and get an RCA adapter for it.

mini > rca

Goodluck! :popcorn:

Marvin666
January 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Do you want composite (one yellow plug+white ard red for sound) or rgb(a red, blue and green+white and red for sound)?

rifak
January 17th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Do you want composite (one yellow plug+white ard red for sound) or rgb(a red, blue and green+white and red for sound)?

it has to be composite..so then i can plug the yellow in, and then plug the red and white in from the stereo jack.

gletob
January 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM
A direct cable is not possible. You'll need to find something the will scale the resoloutiong to one appropriate for the TV, and VGA doesn't carry any type of sound so you would need a seprate 3.5 Mm to RCA adapter.

3.5 to Stereo RCA: $5

VGA to Composite adapter: ~$50-75

Kevinlittleton
January 17th, 2010, 07:36 PM
A direct cable is not possible. You'll need to find something the will scale the resoloutiong to one appropriate for the TV, and VGA doesn't carry any type of sound so you would need a seprate 3.5 Mm to RCA adapter.

That price can't be right for the VGA to Composite adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180402602685&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3205wt_952

Just bought said adapter, we'll see if it was worth the dollar. :)

LowSky
January 17th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Dont forget old TV's only have a resolution of 720×480

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/webweb/30009-1.jpg
That thing wont work, only certain video cards can even use this option.

gletob
January 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Did you read the Ebay listing? It's says your card has to have the TV out VGA function, which IIRC is pretty rare.

Techsnap
January 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM
It will probably be cheaper for you to buy a cheap secondary PCI graphics card with a TV-Out and connecting it to the TV via composite [yellow] and using line out 3.5 to the TV.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM

Like gletob said, a direct cable will not work. It needs a converter.

If this is a desktop computer, it may be cheaper to find a video card that has the outputs you need.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see Techsnap's post.

Kevinlittleton
January 18th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Did you read the Ebay listing? It's says your card has to have the TV out VGA function, which IIRC is pretty rare.

Wow, yeah I fail. :)