PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub/SuperGrub help: Need to permanently swap drives

spaceboy909
January 17th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I want to give a bit of history on this, as the whole thing has been baffling for me.

A few months back, I had a spontaneous reboot (can't remember if I was in Windows or Linux at the time). I then had some booting issues where I couldn't boot all the way, and ended up doing several resets in a row.

That's where the grub problems began.

I have used Supergrub successfully in the past to restore my menu and boot loader, but this time, I have tried everything, and I can't get it. I also don't understand how it got this fouled up.

At this point, the grub menu will boot Linux fine, but to boot Windows, I must first use the Supergrub option "easy swap", to swap the drive order, and then manually select the Windows partition. I've been doing this quite a while now, and am sick of it, so I'm ready to dive in and get it fixed, but I need some help on how to permanently swap the drive order (if that is what is best), and I'd also like to know how in the heck I could have fouled it up in the first place!

Any help is appreciated. I'm also interested in Supergrub / grub guides, as the Supergrub Wiki is down presently.

drs305
January 17th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Since you can still boot into Windows with SuperGrub, see if this guide will restore Windows:
How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708)